Video: Wtf happened VR-4 won't idle and keeps dying?

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
What happens when you indicate with the driving lights on? The blinkers don't flash?

Btw, they've found the problem. It's the crank angle sensor.
Has anyone here had to replace theirs before? They're going to ring around to try and locate one for me. They also said it might have to be an aftermarket one.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
It's not the indicators illuminating the indicator lens its the driving lights so the blink bulbs still come on and blink.

Sweet Dimi, so they know what it is! See you tonight? :|

I hope it doesn't cost to many pisatcio's mang... and that you get it back soon.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
They're calling around trying to look for one for me but they said it'll most likely be ready on Tuesday as they have to order one in :cool:
This is the first VR-4 event i've missed. Noooooooo

Take heaps of SLR photos man, show me what i missed out on okay.
I'll be at the next one for sure bro!

G

Unregistered
You can probably use a Crank angle sensor from a magna 3.5 V6 / 3.0 or from a FTO engine - all identical.

Even one maybe from a 4G93 lancer as well

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
They've just updated me and said not the crank angle sensor but they suspect it's the cam angle sensor. They said tomorrow they'll probe around more and will find out if that's definitely what is causing the problem.

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
I'll go with the Vacuum hose group.

Perhaps a perished one.

Gotta love diagnosing problems with cars :mad:

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
They've just updated me and said not the crank angle sensor but they suspect it's the cam angle sensor

Sheesh.... I almost thought i was on the money with the crank angle sensor!

Sounds to me like they are not quite sure :confused:

Hope its fixed soon man, nothing worse than seeing a VR4 off the road.... I should know :(

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
so i know places charge labour per hour of fixing/maintenence on cars, but whats the going rate for diagnosis?

G

Unregistered
They've just updated me and said not the crank angle sensor but they suspect it's the cam angle sensor. They said tomorrow they'll probe around more and will find out if that's definitely what is causing the problem.

I didnt think that the vr4 had variable valve timing??

Not sure what the workshop you go too but the one I use will charge for all the time spent on the car if it is applicable but most of the time they know what the problem is before they start. One of the ONLY perks of having a commo.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
I'll be without the car this weekend and for most of next week i think. One good thing about this happening was it happened when i was at work and not while i was out in the sticks or somewhere remote.

This little pos is the cause of my problems - the cam angle sensor.
PA300447.jpg

PA300449.jpg

Not sure how this got here. Looks old lol
PA300453.jpg

PA300460.jpg

PA300465-1.jpg

The trusty Magna. It not the nicest car around, but it would be pretty hard without it right now.
PA300473-1.jpg

gtodave

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
david einam
Drive
galant 7g & 8g
i had to change the cam angle sensor in my hj galant 6a12, 6 months ago
it looks identical to that,my car only had spark on i coil(2 spark plugs).
it would not run at all,it wasn't the easiest job to change.you should get a
nice square wave out of the sensor if you put an oscilloscope on the output when cranking.
david on bribie

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Heh I thought my friend's Magna was the only one with Leggy rims on it (my old stock ones)...

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
The new sensor (aftermarket) was AUD$100 and labour AUD$100 so total of AUD$200. I was very impressed with the total bill and i'll be picking up the car tomorrow evening or Friday morning.
If you ever need a cam angle sensor, Meek Automotive ordered a few spare ones in case anyone else has the same problems and i'm pretty sure they'll ship to you.

Top Bottom