Volvo Turbo Upgrade

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
I am still really interested in ATS (Adelaide Turbo Service?) opinion and quote on what can be achieved on a TD03, because i really love the responsiveness of the little units, TD03 is never going to satisfy someone whos focusing in on peak output, but for those who mainly want to fatten up the midrange further and have a little bit more breath in the top end, it could be a worthwhile option, and so easy, compared to a turbo upgrade, just bolt out, bolt back in... and because the stock fuelling can probably suffice with just a remap as well.... My main concern is what ATS would charge, and that might just be too pricey, but if Rob can quantify what is possible it would be a great contribuition to the body of knowledge here.

PS Rob i have one TF035 -6 on my shelf here if you need a loaner to make up a pair for development purposes. but i encourage you to pursue the TD03 option first!

for TD03, Judging criteria should not be primarily peak kw gain, but by the gain in the area under the power and torque curves... gains in peak would just be icing on the cake....

sorry for getting off topic a little bit...

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
Josh- Yeah I have a spare TD03 in pieces in the garage. I can see the turbine restrictions, and at this stage, I just need to get some data of turbine vs comp pressures to see if it is feasible to delve into it any further. If the ratio is too high now, I doubt we could improve tubine flow enough to make it a worthwhile option. We will see....

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
I am still really interested in ATS (Adelaide Turbo Service?) opinion and quote on what can be achieved on a TD03, because i really love the responsiveness of the little units, TD03 is never going to satisfy someone whos focusing in on peak output, but for those who mainly want to fatten up the midrange further and have a little bit more breath in the top end, it could be a worthwhile option, and so easy, compared to a turbo upgrade, just bolt out, bolt back in... and because the stock fuelling can probably suffice with just a remap as well.... My main concern is what ATS would charge, and that might just be too pricey, but if Rob can quantify what is possible it would be a great contribuition to the body of knowledge here.

PS Rob i have one TF035 -6 on my shelf here if you need a loaner to make up a pair for development purposes. but i encourage you to pursue the TD03 option first!

for TD03, Judging criteria should not be primarily peak kw gain, but by the gain in the area under the power and torque curves... gains in peak would just be icing on the cake....

sorry for getting off topic a little bit...

+1

If I were to do a hybrid td-03, response would be my goal, not top end power or an outright figure.

I'm interested to see what MTQ say, I'll go on Wednesday hopefully

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Brad (bradc) has back cut turbines and standard compressors. If you want to know how that will work, go look at his dyno graph.

Back cut turbine and "upgraded" compressor has 100% failure rate so far. The question you need to be asking is why they failed in the manner they did. The people who put them together should have known what they were doing and yet the same thing has happened in at least 3 countries (NZ, UK and I can't remember which was the other one:p)

If you go down this route, make sure you bring this up with the person doing the hybrid work.

If you can do this without failure, ill take my hat off to you. If it does fail, I will tell you I told you so :p 100% failure rate is pretty grim and one gets the impression that physics just isn't on the same side as the compressor nut.
I applaud trying new things, but when something has a 100% failure rate on numerous tries, throwing money at it to try again just seems stupid to me.

Good luck.

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
BMW -10t comp wheels would be a nice little upgrade over -7t stockers though..... It all depends on how far you want to go.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
There was a guy in hk or Singapore who was running td04 hybrids. Check club vr4. Was a few months back.

hozza

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nathan
Drive
97 COTY manual legnum.(gone)
96 GTO MR
S13 silvia
Any updates on the manifolds macca.
Just eager to see some results.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
No mate, I'm away with work for a couple of months and Josh is away too. We will let you guys know when things progress ;)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Yeah wasn't that hong kong guy trying to organise a GB for TD04 internals into TD03 housings.... his car ran a 12.1 or something I thought....

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
But he never actually posted any specs on the hybrid......
Only it's an oil cooled tdo4 CHRA.....

hozza

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nathan
Drive
97 COTY manual legnum.(gone)
96 GTO MR
S13 silvia
I found this a while ago.
But struggled to find information on what was actually done to it.

BR1JZL

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Brian
Drive
EC5A VR-4 Galant
sorry to revive a really old thread, just seeing if anyone has used a volvo turbo and if they found it easier to make a dump pipe with the angled flange? also anymore word on the manifolds :)

Jonhed

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jonty
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum vr4 FL
The gto crew use these very successfully, was thinking of fitting them myself when was looking at various options. Custom manifolds can cost around $300 each. However if the size is the same or smaller than my kkr280's then they are not needed, only adaptor plates.

EDIT: Found the chart

td0430aug09.jpg

Check this link also http://www.3si.org/forum/f35/dyno-chart-collection-thread-take-two-396270/
Hey mate ive been told your the guy to talk to about the kkr280 turbo upgrade. I tried to inbox you but your inbox is full. Just wondering if i can buy a set of these turbos and stick em straight in with no hassles

Jakevr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jake
Drive
99 Galant vr4 type s (auto),10 Grand Cherokee Overland(auto),91 Rodeo (350 chev th350auto).
Hey mate ive been told your the guy to talk to about the kkr280 turbo upgrade. I tried to inbox you but your inbox is full. Just wondering if i can buy a set of these turbos and stick em straight in with no hassles
Needs custom manifolds/dump pipes/oil and water lines and new y pipe. Madhav left here when he bought a supra it's been a long while.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
I have the turbos & manifolds from that build in my shed, will post some photos if your keen to see them.

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Madhavs original post is still on here with plenty of pics, can also have a look through my old ride thread for some extra pics too

My advice - dont expect it to be a simple 'bolt on', you need lots of patience and probably at least double your initial budget to see it through. If i had my time again, in pursuit of performance, i honestly wouldnt bother, id go a tried and tested path - but at the time i wanted to try and do something different

Jon at driven did most of the work on my car and knows whats involved, he would be the best one to talk to initially.

Top Bottom