Volvo Turbo Upgrade

sn00ze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
zach
Drive
N15DET
joel dont normally see them second hand..dont know why but its not heaps common, every now and then one will pop up on ebay etc but theyre not exaclty dime a dozen second hand. usually in good nick go for round 700-900 in my experience, depending upon kms etc

ConnerS

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
02 Legnum type S
98 Lancer Evo 5 GSR
purchasing one for the missus rex this weekend and will check to see physically how much bigger they are, but 6a13 engine bays arent exactly friendly for space, if they did fit it would be FUC*ING amazing though :D

I think they're just slightly bigger than a TD05 and I have heard of people fitting TD05s

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
VF34's are huge and rare and would in my opinion render the 6A13 undrivable given that they are capable of 340hp each. The next best option above the TD04L's are I believe the T25/T28 common flange which suits all manner of brands and sizes. GT2876R turbos are about as big as I would recommend and Rob JET150 is good testimony to how much lag a larger turbo can give. Just remember think of the max amount of power you want to achieve and then get something that suits that figure. Eg if you want to make 300kw atw then do a rough calculation - ((300+60kwcrank)x1.3)/2turbos = 2x 240hp turbos. 2 Garret GT2554r turbos would make that figure quite comfortably without giving too much lag. Looks like those gaskets might fit Christian.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I mentioned to paulie that I'll buy the exhaust housing, but luckily I found a gasket specifically for that turbo..

Fully

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Shane
Drive
99 Galant VR4
dscf0798k.jpg

dscf0800d.jpg

A few shots of my manifold that I have made.
Went to use the mill yesterday to find the motor is blown =(

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
dscf0798k.jpg

dscf0800d.jpg

A few shots of my manifold that I have made.
Went to use the mill yesterday to find the motor is blown =(

how interesting.

where is you turbos going to be situated?

i would have routed them into more of a triangle pattern as soon as i could have, rather then under/over

sn00ze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
zach
Drive
N15DET
i used to have a gt2871r on my sss, its def. larger physically than a vf34.

ConnerS

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
02 Legnum type S
98 Lancer Evo 5 GSR
What about these RVR turbos?

They are orientated the right way around so there no messing around with the actuator and our coolant lines may just fit right in.
Comparing to the Subaru TD04 the internals are slightly bigger.
RVR:
Compressor wheel : 42 / 56 mm
Turbine wheel : 45.6 / 52 mm
Subaru:
Compressor wheel: 40.7 / 56 mm
Turbine wheel: 41.3 / 47 mm

Now I assume that would mean more lag?

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
What about these RVR turbos?

They are orientated the right way around so there no messing around with the actuator and our coolant lines may just fit right in.
Comparing to the Subaru TD04 the internals are slightly bigger.
RVR:
Compressor wheel : 42 / 56 mm
Turbine wheel : 45.6 / 52 mm
Subaru:
Compressor wheel: 40.7 / 56 mm
Turbine wheel: 41.3 / 47 mm

Now I assume that would mean more lag?

Nice find and yes being slightly larger would mean more lag but I doubt it would be hugely significant. The problem is the different bolt pattern. There are only 2 that macca and I have decided to use and that is the TD04L from a wrx or foz 3 bolt triangle pattern and the T25/T28 4 bolt square pattern.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
As an ex-RVR owner, I'd never buy ex-RVR turbos. The cars get the bejeebus thrashed out of them, more so than WRXs.

TD04s by the sounds of it aren't that expensive these days. They are the most common turbo upgrade for the GT Starlets too. Bolt-on kits are available for them.

ConnerS

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
02 Legnum type S
98 Lancer Evo 5 GSR
Brad there Brand new. I called them RVR turbos as thats what RVRs had.

Josh I swear I saw another TD04 on ebay with a T25 flange that looked appealing. I'll have another look tomorrow.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Brad there Brand new. I called them RVR turbos as thats what RVRs had.

Josh I swear I saw another TD04 on ebay with a T25 flange that looked appealing. I'll have another look tomorrow.

As long as it has the T25/T28 bolt pattern and isn't a cattle station it should fit... yet to be proven; just need to organise crap loads before the test fit stage that's all. Looking at late Aug/Sep at this stage.

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
The other ones you may have seen were probably other Kando Dynamic turbos. There are many up there, some with T25 and some with 3bolt, from memory. Couple of different wheel sizes too..

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Josh, if you can produce a set of exhaust manifolds for our car that would suit either, T25, GTR turbos or TD04 with T25 flange.. I'm all in!

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
That's what we were thinking. Will be nice to see a few VR-4's with a turbo upgrade.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
The reason Macca and I decided on the T25/T28 common flange and TD04L 3 bolt the 4 bolt pattern is used by all manner of brands and sizes (nissan, kkr, garret to name the common brands) and the 3 bolt TD04L is such a common cheap conversion that so many people do but never turn it into a kit. We're hoping this will unlock the door to VR4's being a regular 12 second car!

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Good stuff mate, it's a project that definitely has to happen, can't wait to see multiple results.

Top Bottom