Volvo Turbo Upgrade

sampsulo

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Sampa Chisulo
Drive
Trigger Mauve 1999 Galat VR-4
i'm dumbfounded! i CANT flipping wait for this! it would be nice to have a kit....these things are rare these ends...(Zambia, Central Africa)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
my exhaust gaskets for the TD04 have arrived and tried to test fit and see how much of a difference it is between TD03... and the pic below shows the result

325660b8.jpg

so looks like there'll be a bit of work involved in trying to fit the Pajero TD04 into our engine.. if we were to, I think we'll need to trim about 5-10mm off?!

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Which Pajero turbo you mean? As far as i can see there are two. Are they the same flange?

Interloper

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2000 Legnum S Man, NX Paj, CBR1000RRSP2, CRF450
clearly lacking scale but 10mm min. no?

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
the studs on the manifold would need to moved radially out about 5mm each, or move the holes on the turbo exhaust housing in 5mm more.

its doable. or, cut the tdo3 flange off and weld a tdo4 flange on. goodluck welding to cast steel though lol

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Is there no Hybrid option? Use our turbine with the TD04 compressor?

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
This is good, everyone else is running around finding out all the important stuff and then putting it on the forums so idiots like me can know too :p

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
I am also talking to ATS here about a hybrid. Probably looking at a mild comp upgrade (-10 or -12 wheel) and reducing the turbine restriction a little (backcut, power port etc). At the moment I am waiting to have time to log compressor vs turbine pressures (involves me tapping one of the dump pipes to get a pressure reading), so we can see where to focus our attention. Apparently we want the turbine pressure to be 1.5 to 2 times the compressor pressure at the most.
Anyone logged this info already?

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
This mod has been done a few times. Unfortunately it has a 100% failure rate so far. The compressor nut comes loose and the compressor gets eaten up.

bradc has standard compressor on back cut turbines though (After the compressors ate themselves, he went to standard compressors). Minor increase in RPM to get boost but results in better total power.

I am also talking to ATS here about a hybrid. Probably looking at a mild comp upgrade (-10 or -12 wheel) and reducing the turbine restriction a little (backcut, power port etc). At the moment I am waiting to have time to log compressor vs turbine pressures (involves me tapping one of the dump pipes to get a pressure reading), so we can see where to focus our attention. Apparently we want the turbine pressure to be 1.5 to 2 times the compressor pressure at the most.
Anyone logged this info already?

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
^^^ true, and or the exhaust wheel snaps off and ends at the cat

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
I know people have not had success with hybrids yet, but of the failures so far, they all seem like human error during the build. We will see how things progress.

jonesyVR4

Crunching Gears
First Name
Mark
Drive
EP71 Starlet turbo
I know people have not had success with hybrids yet, but of the failures so far, they all seem like human error during the build. We will see how things progress.

Would it not be more cost effective & reliable to go with something like the T25 as discussed B4 rather than a hybrid of some type?
As said they have failed & it may be from human error but if that can be elliminated by getting standard turbos without the need to modify surely that is a big plus?
It would also save you developement time whilst building the manifolds etc, therefore saving cost

Im no expert especially looking @ the great job thats being done here that will help everyone, however Ive allways had the KeepItSsimpleStupid approach & seems to work for me

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
Would it not be more cost effective & reliable to go with something like the T25 as discussed B4 rather than a hybrid of some type?
As said they have failed & it may be from human error but if that can be elliminated by getting standard turbos without the need to modify surely that is a big plus?
It would also save you developement time whilst building the manifolds etc, therefore saving cost

Im no expert especially looking @ the great job thats being done here that will help everyone, however Ive allways had the KeepItSsimpleStupid approach & seems to work for me

I should also mention I am not after the HP figures or lag that TD04's etc will give. I am chasing 250awkw on E85, so about 220-230 on 98. I am currently just above 200, so I am only after a mild upgrade, that l looks stock under the bonnet, as my car does now.
Having said that, if after some testing the results lead me away from the hybrids again, I would be keen on the manifolds that Josh and Craig are designing, but maybe utilising TF035's.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
I thought I should pitch in a little bit here RE hybrid TD03Turb+TD04Comp. If you have ever had a good look inside the exhaust intake to the turbine of a TD03 and compare to a T25 or TD04 you will see the TD03 is not designed to flow high HP. When I get back home I'll get a photo up of the inside but I'll try best to explain it... at the point where the outlet to the wastegate is, instead of having a outlet branching off to the side of the turbo stem the TD03 is more like a fork that splits the ex gases to the wastegate or the compressor. Now even though we've worked out long ago how to run higher boost levels, running the TD03s with the wastegates near closed would still cause IMO significant disruption to ex gas flow to the turbine. Unlike the T25 / TD04 which just has a small outlet branching off the main stem.

Top Bottom