VR4-Friendly Workshop Discussion

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Kevin - if it was for the full cambelt, waterpump, all oils, spark plugs, leads etc etc then it isn't too bad.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Did not include cambelt, waterpump etc that was proposed at $4000

Delbut

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Drew
Drive
Trigger Mauve VR4 Legnum
Guys,

I've just had my '02 serviced at Neal Lowe, which included, x6 platinum plugs, timing belt, oil & filter, air filter, all transmission fluids, full brake fluid change, new brake pads all round, power steering fluid, coolant flush and refill, maybe a couple of other things too.

Says he does about another 4 or 5 Leggies

All due respect i think the comment of "not another one of those" was taken out of context as i've spent some time down there with Nik and Neal as they are now looking after my Magna too since Zupps couldn't fix a junkie, never mind a run-of-the-mill Magna!!!

I will definatly be using Neal Lowe for all other work on both my cars from now on. No hesitations

Rumour has it too that they have inherited a few of APC customers since they have messed around a few customers

G

Unregistered
How much did that "super service" cost Drew? I expect the timing belt alone would chew up labour hours and the bill.

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
NOT!!! I repeat NOT Franks Auto Electrical and A/C in Salisbury SA. After having my car for a day I was told they couldn't check the Alt. for faults as they didn't know the pin-out codes for the 4 pin plug and I couldn't keep it there overnight.
I couldn't get a tow b4 they left so was slugged $85 for a battery to get it home.
Next day I faxed them the entire Charging system section from the workshop manual (at their request) so they could "nut it out for me" only to be told "Thanks for that, but Wayne said he isn't interested in doing your car anyway"
To say I was pissed is an understatement
These guys are RAA recommended, so I think the RAA's complaints section will be hearing about this shit!

G

Unregistered
NOT!!! I repeat NOT Franks Auto Electrical and A/C in Salisbury SA. After having my car for a day I was told they couldn't check the Alt. for faults as they didn't know the pin-out codes for the 4 pin plug and I couldn't keep it there overnight.
I couldn't get a tow b4 they left so was slugged $85 for a battery to get it home.
Next day I faxed them the entire Charging system section from the workshop manual (at their request) so they could "nut it out for me" only to be told "Thanks for that, but Wayne said he isn't interested in doing your car anyway"
To say I was pissed is an understatement
These guys are RAA recommended, so I think the RAA's complaints section will be hearing about this shit!

wtf?

no shit, give them an ear full!

Delbut

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Drew
Drive
Trigger Mauve VR4 Legnum
How much did that "super service" cost Drew? I expect the timing belt alone would chew up labour hours and the bill.

oh yeah, sorry, i should have included that too! It was $3300 all in! the timing belt had to be sent to Gates for a match, which was from memory $470. ebay never had one at the time :rolleyes:

This also included a heavy duty battery, which again from memory was around $140.

Hope this helps?

Delbut

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Drew
Drive
Trigger Mauve VR4 Legnum
oh yeah, sorry, i should have included that too! It was $3300 all in! the timing belt had to be sent to Gates for a match, which was from memory $470. ebay never had one at the time :rolleyes:

This also included a heavy duty battery, which again from memory was around $140.

Hope this helps?

Prices above are just for the parts, not to sure of the division of labour

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Jeebuz... Makes me glad I'm handy with a spanner and a funnel!!

Glad you're happy with the service though Drew - that's what we like to hear :)

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
Hampstead Auto Electrical
Mullers Rd
Hampstead Gardens
8261 8455
Nick is the man ya wanna speak to.

Got my car fixed without a hassle. They did go to alot of trouble matching part numbers to my chassis number to ensure they hard the correct parts.
The cowboys that did it last time used the wrong reg, thats why it failed :( However due to previous issues I will not sing to many praises just yet. See how she goes :)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Fantastic Jase, here's hoping we won't be hearing about alternator probs from you for a long time!! ;)

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
here here

Trev, any news on parts for yours mate??

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Got a headlamp on the way thanks to Carsten, waiting on clips and things from Dan in Japan, aftermarket bumper and bonnet organised and headlamp surround (the big metal frame the headlamps sit in and radiator is bolted to) is hopefully sorted, but much of it's now waiting on funding as I'm banned from spending money on the car until the merc and the europe trip are all paid for... Once I have all the parts I'll need a panel shop to do the welding, fix the quarter panel and paint the new parts.

So yea I'm sorted as much as I can be at this stage, but much of it won't be done for at least a couple of months yet.

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
1997 Galant VR4 and a very old cordia turbo
even Mitsi aren't that expensive. I say they are a rip off

Carmen did my full trans and AYC flush including all labour for less than Lowe quoted me on the price of the fluid only. Carmen actually used a bit more fluid than what Lowe based his quote on. They also didn't charge me for much of the labour when looking at my front brake/trans/TCL binding problem.

So yeah he does seem a bit expensive, but by all accounts he knows his stuff. However I was very happy with Carmen and they won hands down on price.

G

Unregistered
Qld - VR4 owners

Hi all, I do not usually post on line but I have been horrified reading some posts in here tonight partically services & timing belt prices, I keep a couple on hand OEM. Guys I am not touting business but please we all drive Legnums / VR4 not a space shuttle, there is no real need for excessive prices. Please get quotes and estimates for your services & repairs. Finally go to a shop that know your vehicle not yeah I see a few of them. Cheers Craig......

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
Hey Craig, although not much use to anyone outside of QLD, I am sure we all appreciate your input and are all glad to hear there are people out there will to put in the effort and time you obviously have to stock service parts for these cars. While you are posting, should the cam belt be done at 85k, 100k or 125k??
Cheers,
Jason

G

Unregistered
Craig you could have put that any better.

should the cam belt be done at 85k, 100k or 125k??

Iam guessing 100-120k......

Top Bottom