VR4 Steering Wheels

G

Unregistered
Hi there,

I am new around here, and looking at fitting a woodgrain VR4 steering wheel to my 1994 KS Verada. I have already fitted a TJ Sports steering wheel and airbag.

I have an SRS airbag standard so must replace any wheel with a compatible SRS airbag also.

My question is this........ Are 3rd generation (TE-TW) Magna steering wheels and airbags compatible with the VR4? I would presume the spline would be similar since they are all Mitsubishi and of similar vintage. Anyone have a Ralliart Magna wheel in their VR4?

I found a DIY steering wheel conversion thread to change a VR4 wheel to an Evo wheel, which was helpful, but I was wondering if anyone had detailed photos of the back of a VR4 steering wheel airbag, showing the connector.

Do they come with cruise standard?

Do the woodgrain wheels come with black airbag or only beige?

Would it be hard to get my hands on a 2nd hand woodgrain wheel and airbag?

Thanks in advance for your time, I know there are a few questions there.

Cheers

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Peter, I'm not aware of anyone putting a magna wheel on a VR4 - only wheel swaps I've ever seen have been evos (oh, I've seen a racing wheel on an OS car, but you can't do that in Aus, you need to retain the airbag unless it's a track car).

No, VR4 wheels don't come with cruise control as it wasn't standard on our cars.

Perhaps one of the guys who has replaced their wheel will see this and add some further detail shortly.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Do you need info on the spline or the airbag connector? I have a Momo VR4 boss kit lying around in the shed so I could take a pic of the spline if you need.

G

Unregistered
That would be fantastic, I am also after a pic of the back of the airbag to see if it will interface with a Magna/Verada clip. I am hoping it does, as the VR4 wheel looks suspiciously like the Verada GTV wheel:

Are they the same wheel maybe?

four_2.jpg

G

Unregistered
Thanks guys..... would really appreciate a pic of the back of the airbag showing the connector hole and even a pic of the spline if possible. Anyone know how many teeth it has?

Since the GTVi wheel and woodgrain VR4 wheel look so similar, I am assuming Mitsubishi used the same or very similar wheel. Hopefully the spline is also the same.

Anyone in Sydney have a spare VR4 wheel (any kind) that I could use to test on my spline?

Cheers

G

Unregistered
and this is a Legnum woodgrain steering wheel amirite?????

Just need a pic of the airbag now to make sure it is the same

Legnum%20005.jpg

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Photo of connector as requested
(this in on the plain leather nardi, but same connector obviously)

Attachments

• Air Bag Connector.jpg
    Air Bag Connector.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 86
G

Unregistered
Photo of connector as requested
(this in on the plain leather nardi, but same connector obviously)

Mate, you are a legend, thanks so much!!!!!

Same connector across 2g/3g Magna/Verada and also now confirmed VR4's

Champion!!!!

Just need to test fit a wheel and I'm set :bigsmile:

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
Do the woodgrain wheels come with black airbag or only beige?

As someone who's actually used an airbag, take it from me you really don't have time to appreciate what colour the thing is.:ROFLMAO:

I found out a couple of days later it was yellow.

Top Bottom