[WA] Oil grab ?

G

Unregistered
Any WA people want to head down and grab AMSOIL ... i noticed a few of u guys getting your cars here soon, so maybe we should head down and see if we can get discount on oil and filters ;)

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
so what's the overall feeling here, Amsoil or Royal Purple?

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Let me or Dave check the state of my oil first and then I'll tell u.

G

Unregistered
I'm going fully synthetic oil in my car thats for sure. The EVO's at mitsubishi get mobil one synth in them.
I'm happy to go AMSOIL or Royal Purple, but still not sure on the viscosity ? I have 0 30 mobil 1 syth S in my car now ... but want to try the next grade up in thickness ...

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Trav I've seen a couple of oil comparisons now which show Royal Purple doing well in a couple of key tests, but poorly in others (ie below the pass mark for the rating it was going for) and for some reason it has terrible stability, which means it separates and turns to shit in your engine faster than pretty much everything else. Obviously they market it based on the areas it does well in, where I've seen it outperform ANYTHING else. The problem is if it breaks down it is utterly useless at EVERYTHING. Personally I wouldn't let an oil like that come anywhere near my engine...

Guys I strongly recommend taking a trip down to see Dean at Synthetic Lubricants - he's been around for years, has enormous experience and has been selling Amsoil for three decades. He has his own machine shop and I've been there a couple of times when people have come in asking him questions or getting him to repair something - he's like a mechanics Guru and REALLY knows his stuff. You'll learn more about lubricants and engines in one hour talking to him than you would reading for a week.

As I said in that other thread, Amsoil doesn't 'thin out' like other lubricants. The job of a lubricant is to maintain a film between two metal surfaces, keeping them separated so they never come in contact. The viscosity of the oil, stability, shearing strength and additives (which help the oil stay on surfaces long after a mineral oil would have run off) all contribute. Amsoil's shearing strength is one of the best in the industry when new, and unsurpassable after use - where other oils will break down (sometimes very quickly) with use, Amsoil's stability and extremely high shearing strength means it doesn't break down and separate like conventional oils, so you get less wear, which means less contaminants in the oil, which of course means the oil lasts a long time and your engine components are protected day in and day out.

The '0W' rating simple means the oil doesn't thicken at low temperature. Mineral oils and lower quality synthetics need to be extremely 'thin' in order to achieve this. Amsoil doesn't as it's far more consistent across the temperature range. Amsoil was developed in the US, and if you think they don't have similar conditions to Australia in places you'd be very much mistaken. Amsoil has been used by trans-national trucking fleets, police departments, bus companies and the military for years because it saves them a fortune in maintenance costs, downtime and consumables.

In summary, the worst thing I've ever heard about Amsoil with all my research into lubricants is 'I've never heard of it', which is very common in Australia. I'm yet to read a single scientific document showing it perform poorly, and I mean ANY of their products. I do research and write reports on things I know and find for a living, and I'm quite good at what I do - I spent more time and effort reading about lubricants than I've spent on almost any project I've ever had (because no one would be willing to pay me enough ;)).

So do yourself a favour - find out for yourselves. I did, and I'll never look back. The best investment you can EVER make for the continued health of your engines IMHO. Dismissing it out of hand because you've 'never heard of it' is simply ignorant and you're just cheating yourself out of using a truly amazing product.

G

Unregistered
How oftern you guys changing the oil, because the owners manual states 10,000km and im now up to just over 9,000km since my first oil change and the car is getting alot of lifter noise straight after starting, for prob about 10-15 seconds, the other thing that worried me was because it seemed to rattle for so long is the oil pump about to shit it self or is the oil past its use by date. I used Castrol Edge 5W30, can any shed some light on this for me. Im going to replace the oil and filter and use Promar MBL8 because I already have a bottle the Promar additive, was told its really good stuff, was going to use Castrol again but now not sure what to use.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
BTW Paul Dean just got a shipment in a couple of weeks ago, so is fairly well stocked for most things. I think he's only got five or so EA020 filters in stock, though - you might want to give him a call to double-check if you've got your heart set on one.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Ryan the manual is wrong, as it's not ACTUALLY for our cars at all - its for the USDM Galant. Its a long story - there's a thread somewhere about it.

If you're using normal oil, you should be doing changes at 5,000kms. If you're using Amsoil, do an oil analysis instead of changing your oil and change it when the analysis says the oil's gone bad. You may find you can go 100,000kms or more between changes with a bypass filter (but if you even THINK of doing that on any other oil I guarantee the story won't end well at all!!)

G

Unregistered
Castrol Edge is fully synthetic.

Has anyone had any experiance with Pennzoil Platinum series of synthetic oils? They have alot of different grades in that line of oils.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Sorry, when I said 'normal oil' I meant 'anything other than Amsoil', not synthetic vs mineral. I wouldn't recommend anyone use a mineral oil in a performance engine... In fact, I wouldn't recommend anyone use a mineral oil at all anymore.

Do your changes every 5,000kms and you'll be fine, though, on most brands :)

G

Unregistered
5,000 is a pretty short stint for oil so u can never go wrong with most oils at this range. I was a massive fan of the mobil one syth oils on my nissan, with redline gear oil (for the manual gearbox).
But seems the AMSOIL is recommended to highly for our motors, so I'm going to get it for sure ... Maybe head down next weekend when my car is back on the road ;) Hopefully stephen will have his car on the road nearly by then ? :)

G

Unregistered
Hehe, yeah I just might make next weekend .. whether I have money or not is another question :p According to Phil the car has finished Compliance, just awaiting the plate I'm pretty sure :)

G

Unregistered
Heya Paul, you still doing this? I think I remember you saying about going there this weekend? Unless he is open on the Sunday, I wont be able to due the Saturday due to work.

G

Unregistered
i dont think he will be.. unless he wants to be heard from 5km away.... :ROFLMAO:

G

Unregistered
Haha, I know what that means. :D Hope it all goes well.

Depending on how compliance/rego goes, I might drop in to see Dean Harrison at Synthetic Lubricants during the week. Will see how I go.

G

Unregistered
Lets leave it another week as my car kinda has no exhaust or intake at the moment ... LOL

G

Unregistered
Ripped it all off, I'm getting the Ralliart SuperVR4 exhaust off Mitcheys car as he is getting a Fujitsubo which we swapped for my exhaust to over east. Also putting on a Blitz SuperSonic Pod Filter, which I have to get some piping for to extend the distance from the pod to the AFM to avoid idle issues (hopefully). Not expecting much gains, but I am going from 3 cats to one.
Do all Facelift VR4s have a Cat on the dump pipe or is it just mine ?

Top Bottom