Water pump failure

mitsulegnum

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
scott
Drive
1999 mitsubishi legnum
Hi,

Just after a little info, just wondering what sort of damage would occur if the water pump was to fail.
After looking through a diagram of the 6A13 it seems that i may of had a water pump failure which caused the whole motor to shut down and cause a few major problems. The pulley on the out side of the water also melted its way through the timing belt cover and came off the water pump.

There were no prior warnings or noises when the water pump failed.

Cheers for any info,

scotty

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
It could range from something as simple as overheating and depending on run time after failure; Warped heads, boiled oil which leads to no lubrication which then seizes the engine. Or if the pulley/bearing locked up that would cause the belt to overheat and eventually snap, Mr. Valve then aggressively meets Mr. Piston...not so good.
Either of these would have produced a lot of noise and hopefully would have been head.

mitsulegnum

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
scott
Drive
1999 mitsubishi legnum
cheers for the reply.

The only signs of damage so far is that the pulley has managed to work it way off and melt the timing belt cover, the timing belt is still fine but it is kinda loose. The motor shut off straight away, but i suppose i'll find out when the heads come off. There are some very odd sounds coming from the motor which don't sound good at all. b but

thanks again,
scott
'

Top Bottom