Water somewhere?

Interloper

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2000 Legnum S Man, NX Paj, CBR1000RRSP2, CRF450
Hi folks my car in now located in Auckland and we have had a shit load of rain over the last week or so. Driving in to work this morning in the rain the electrics (heater, wipers, lights, stereo, dash) went haywire, on and then off, unresponsive, all dash lights flashing, wipers barely scraping across the windscreen. Managed to keep it running but only just and she ran really rough for a while, eventually it did clear but I am worried water has got in somewhere. This has not ever occurred before.
I cant locate any interior leaks, but there is some moisture in the car as the windows will fog up without the demister running. So I am wondered where the most likely place for water to get in to the electrics was and cause this kind of fault. Where would you guys start looking?
All help greatly appreciated!

Interloper

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2000 Legnum S Man, NX Paj, CBR1000RRSP2, CRF450
thanks Kenneth! I think its a short somewhere, alternator light is now on and battery seemed lower on charge than normal this morning at start up.

any obvious places to look for a short or dodgy connection?

might this be caused by an alternator that dies?

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
It is possible. Best to rule out the obvious stuff first though.

Make sure your battery terminals are tight and check the battery is OK. (~12v when the engine isn't running)
Check the ground strap on the motor is connected securely between the engine and the chassis.
Check alternator voltage is around 14v when the car is running.

Most common place to look for immobiliser wiring is under the panel in front of the drivers knees and in the steering column surround. This will usually give you somewhere to start tracing wires.

Top Bottom