weight reduction

G

Unregistered
how far can you legally go? as you all know our cars are heavy, and i cant help but think that if it weighed a bit less like every other preformance car out there, that we'd have alot more going for us?

i've seen so many cars with holes drilled in doors and such, but what are the rules? help please.

G

Unregistered
i dont think they are that heavy...

my R33 was 1350kg, and a stagea is 1650kg, so a galant and legnum fall in between a 2 door coupe and another 'quick wagon'.

there is plenty of things you can do, rims, etc are a great start, as 1kg of rotating mass is the equivalent of 10kg of static mass.
removing the space saver and extra bits in the boot can save you a few kg, but to lose any decent weight, you need to look at fibreglass/carbon fibre panels, removing carpet, sound deadening, etc.. all of which isnt legal over here in australia.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I agree with Jungle, I dont think VR4's are that heavy, specially the sedans..

I think sedan's can break the 14 sec 1/4 mile in stock form..

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
move to lighter rims, move the battery to the boot, replace the bonnet with a fibreglass or carbon fibre one, replace the exhaust from the downpipes back. You'll lose 50kg and get closer to 50/50 weight distribution.

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
98 legnum type s, jzza70 supra
removing carpet, back seats is legal, a mate has a 2 seat corona thats street legal also has metal door trims and no carpet. but if your going to do anything that you think might be illegal ask your local transport department and automotive engineer.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
i dont think they are that heavy...
you need to look at fibreglass/carbon fibre panels, etc.. all of which isnt legal over here in australia.

What about CF or FG bonnets? I see heaps of people getting around with those on with skylines and 180's etc.

G

Unregistered
Yeah, doesn't make them legal though.

The issue, i think, is pedestrian safety. In a front on collison, they will hit the bonnet and cop fibreglass splinters for the rest of their lives.

G

Unregistered
The brembo brake upgrade will save a few Kg's, our stock ones are so heavy. Brembo's are bigger and lighter.

G

Unregistered
sorry, i should have elaborated when i said it wasnt legal.

to remove the rear seats, you need to engineer, and register the car as a 2 seater.

also CF bonnets are legal on cars up to 1995, as they did not have to pass front end collision tests, however after 1995 its illegal, as they splinter on impact.

christian, i'm not jungle. :p and my leggy did a 14.8 stock, and 14.2 with a bit more boost added.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
sorry, i should have elaborated when i said it wasnt legal.

to remove the rear seats, you need to engineer, and register the car as a 2 seater.

also CF bonnets are legal on cars up to 1995, as they did not have to pass front end collision tests, however after 1995 its illegal, as they splinter on impact.

christian, i'm not jungle. :p and my leggy did a 14.8 stock, and 14.2 with a bit more boost added.

Man that sucks!! Going by that logic CF bonnets musn't splinter on pre'95 model cars!;)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I use the argument that if anyone is blind enough, deaf enough and stupid enough not to hear my VR-4 coming they deserve to get run over. They have at least 1km of warning it is coming :)

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
I use the argument that if anyone is blind enough, deaf enough and stupid enough not to hear my VR-4 coming they deserve to get run over. They have at least 1km of warning it is coming :)

Ha! My dad calls that the active yawn control!!:D Prevents the driver and all nearby from yawning!

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
Engineering, engineering, engineering. We have had heaps of cars here in SA pass through Rego with FRP bonnets, boot lids and front gaurds. Just need a certificate to say the have the same rigidity as stock for boot and bonnet and one to say the wheel arches have the same eyebrow heigh as stock.
Or even easier, you can try jogging to loose weight :)

Try a fuel cell in the boot for better weight distrubution too :)

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Engineering, engineering, engineering. We have had heaps of cars here in SA pass through Rego with FRP bonnets, boot lids and front gaurds. Just need a certificate to say the have the same rigidity as stock for boot and bonnet and one to say the wheel arches have the same eyebrow heigh as stock.
Or even easier, you can try jogging to loose weight :)

Try a fuel cell in the boot for better weight distrubution too :)

Sweet, does that mean the engineer would test the panel for rigidity? Or do you just pay them lots of $$$ to fill out a cert?;)

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
A bit of both usually works :)

G

Unregistered
thanks for all the feedback guys! I think i have a good start! good thoughts on the weight distribution too...

G

Unregistered
imho i think its a waste of time to loose the carpet and all other shit on an every day car, better weight distribution im all for but to loose carpet, back seats and other stuff in a non track car, is it realy worth the 10kg and 1/2 second on the quarter mile?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum

I'm jungle!

Hey Mitch, is the CF ruling a Perth thing or national?? As far as i know, CF is still illegal here in QLD, unless that's changed in the last 6 months.....if' it was, it'd be on my Sil80 as the bonnet is friggin heavy!

Top Bottom