What car to buy??

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
2011 ralliart lancer tc-sst?

Only any good if you're doing a lot to it.... How much for a 12 month old golf r? Or a 2yr old s3, Or screw it, 2nd hand fg f6, do you know how much power they make tuned?! Or a 2nd hand ssv with a supercharger already done?

eyecandy

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Adam
Drive
Evo VII GSR
Quite cool Mitch, but the fuel bill would be absolutely huge, and I dont fancy diff bushes tearing out, door lock actuators failing, window regs breaking, ball joints falling out, ICC units failing... I could go on....

ASH STEEVO

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
VR4PLAY aka ASH
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S - VR4PLAY
clearly the only option here is. buy a fresh legga's or the gay version. and spend the rest on the car :D... or instead you could just buy a late evo.
the other option ive been looking at is for like $30k you can get a sweet merc with under 100k or just done the service n shit.

am i starting to ramble?

eyecandy

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Adam
Drive
Evo VII GSR
Sorry Ash your not making much sense lol :p And I'm pretty sure you just called PFL's gay, which they are not...

ASH STEEVO

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
VR4PLAY aka ASH
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S - VR4PLAY
sorry my weekend started wednsday night haha

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
I'm going through the same thing right now ;)

My list is:
MY08 Liberty GT
FG G6E Turbo
Golf GTi

All would be 2-3 years old, low kms example so someone else has taken the initial depreciation hit.
My problem is I cant work out what size of car i want... Small = Golf, Mid = Liberty, Large = G6E Turbo.
I'd like the G6E as comfy cruiser for fitting the family, liberty will be more of a fun drive, and the golf, well thats good for economy with a bit of fun..... so yeah. I'm no help with which one, but thats my pick of 3

G

Unregistered
Quite cool Mitch, but the fuel bill would be absolutely huge, and I dont fancy diff bushes tearing out, door lock actuators failing, window regs breaking, ball joints falling out, ICC units failing... I could go on....

Haha was a bit of a piss take but it is undeniably cool and a few searches on you tube will show them doing some impressive things.In seriousness I would personally look at a late model STi or an XR6 Turbo.A 270z isn't too far out of reach lol (I'd imagine the modification costs trying to make a mini GTR would send you bankrupt though haha)

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
I'm with Steve, the numbers the boosted Barra motors make after basic mods are epic. 4L + huffer wins. What they lack in build quality and refinement, they make up for in sheer grunt. F6 is the only domestic produce I've ever desired to own.

eyecandy

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Adam
Drive
Evo VII GSR
I'm going through the same thing right now ;)

My list is:
MY08 Liberty GT
FG G6E Turbo
Golf GTi

All would be 2-3 years old, low kms example so someone else has taken the initial depreciation hit.
My problem is I cant work out what size of car i want... Small = Golf, Mid = Liberty, Large = G6E Turbo.
I'd like the G6E as comfy cruiser for fitting the family, liberty will be more of a fun drive, and the golf, well thats good for economy with a bit of fun..... so yeah. I'm no help with which one, but thats my pick of 3

It really is hard choosing, you have basically just taken the words out of my mouth regarding small= economy and a fun handling drive, medium= pretty much the same scenario but I dont really like anything in the medium catagory much? Large= well either a nice cruiser with some grunt G6E turbo or some sheer grunt and practicallity in an XR6/F6.

some thinking and test driving to do...

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Megane rs250 - the best front wheel drive money can buy.
Just checked carsales, megane to expensive.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Personally I would get the XR5. Under rated and look pretty cool.

PUDG3_VR4

The Unlucky One....
First Name
BJ
Drive
2015 Ford Fiesta ST
2002 Volvo V70 XC Cross Country
If your after a fun family cruiser, can I suggest a Mazda6 MPS?

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
The service costs of a VW can be a bit attrocious, particularly after a couple of years. That said if the allowance from work is generous, this shouldnt matter too much and id vote for a R32 in the first instance and GTi in the second

Dont buy a falcoon, depreciation is hideous and i hate the fact that they are a couple of steps behind every other car on the road in terms of implementing decent build quality, interiors that dont look outdated 12 months after release or having an engine that essentially hasnt changed in 20+ years

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
I looked into depreciation for the exact reason you mentioned dion. Interestingly xr6t depreciate by about 60% by 5 years of age. When compared to liberties, volkswagens etc all of similar starting price (50k) they are only 2-3% worse off. However the base models (xt, VE omega) etc are those with the shocking depreciation figures.

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Yea that comment was based on observation of the base models, interesting that the higher spec ones arent quite so bad

Can avoid a good chunk of depreciation on some models by buying 1 or 2 years old - but then if buying for work i assume there could be some sort of depreciation schedule which would be greatest in those first couple of years and hence any tax benefits will be maximised

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Will you be paying the servicing/repair costs on the car Adam? Or does the work cover that as well out of the total amount they are offering?

From your list I would definitely be looking toward the G6E. What about a MY09-11 Civic Type-R ? Too small? Don't like FWD? They look like they'd be a blast to drive.

What about like an '09-'10 Lexus IS250? I think they are more like $50k but might be some cheaper ones around...

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
It depends on whether the vehicle is classed as for business use or private. In my case the vehicle is 100% private use novated lease so I don't want it to depreciate. But yes, if it's a company vehicle for business use then depreciation can offset tax payable.

But what I noticed was that cars over 55-60k new have the worst depreciation percentage, while the "mid" spec we're considering here are probably some of the better/best for resale. I.e. Lexus IS250 depreciates 56% in just 3 years as opposed to Approx 35-40% for those listed here!!

Top Bottom