What car to buy??

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
The lesson here - buy the '09-'10 Lexus not the '12 Lexus :p

I had a quick look and saw a couple for around that $40k mark. Never been in one but I always thought they were really nice to look at and have reasonable specs.

eyecandy

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Adam
Drive
Evo VII GSR
Correct guys, depreciation is something to factor in when choosing. In general any Aussie built cars and as Lee said cars over $60k are shocking.

My car will be a lot of work use, I will have to keep a log book to prove the percentage and then I will be able to claim a certain amount of depreciation and fuel/running costs like tyres and servicing, even insurance etc. So it should work out pretty well I hope :p

Its better to have an allowance for someone like myself and you guys as we have contacts and can maintain them so much cheaper than some other people.

Yes Tom I will be responsible for ALL costs of ownership but my allowance will take all of this into account.

In all honesty the Leg is the family cruiser. I think I have decided that due to the fact that I will be doing 500k's+ a week mainly around town and less interstate travel than before I may be better off with a smaller car. If depreciation and service costs etc are a big factor here then honestly the XR5 is shaping up to be a good buy. Considering you cant buy them new anymore they should hold their value a lot better. They are well equipped with factory Recaros, decent Sony factory stereo, carbon fibre console with push button start, Volvo 5 cylindar turbo, 166kw, handle extremely well, look good, 18inch rims etc etc.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Just please if you get one, don't get a bright orange one :D

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
My choice for small car like I said is a golf GTI DSG for daily duties. Would be better overall package IMO but hey, the XR5 is nice too

eyecandy

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Adam
Drive
Evo VII GSR
I must go and have a look at one Lee, everyone raves about Golfs but to be honest I have only driven a diesel one!

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
I drove a petrol DSG passat the other week and it was awesome, it converted my previously held thoughts on DSG-i reckon it would be great fun in a golf

eyecandy

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Adam
Drive
Evo VII GSR
hmmmmmmmmmmm, must test drive before making a decision, cant get past the idea of a proper clutch at this stage.

ECfiveA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mathew
Drive
97 Galant VR4
Pretty sure I suggested a scirocco r earlier, why is there still conversation about this?

But in all seriousness I own a golf gti 4th gen, which is a 1.8 turbo, not huge power from factory, but is easy as an sr20 to get more power out of by the way of simple bolt on mods and ecu flash. Of course its getting old, but I have driven a current model entry level golf and was very surprised at how well optioned it is and was very enjoyable to drive. Now the current gti is one of the best hot hatch's on the market today for bang for your buck and of course the golf r has bucket loads of power and performance 195kw by memory. If I was you it would be a choice of 2 the golf gti and the 3 mps. The problem I have with the xr5 is that the new shape is out so there is bound to be a new one coming and how can you get one knowing that there is a Focus RS available? Also with the renault megane cup it is a very attractive car with great performance, but its a renault so it will break down, especially as they are made in turkey and parts and servicing are expensive mainly because we live in Australia.

My 2 cents (I have done a bit of research on these cars as my sister was after a new mid sized car, she opted for the new focus sport)

eyecandy

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Adam
Drive
Evo VII GSR
The new XR5 will be an ecoboost very tame version, the LV was the last actual real performance XR5 built. The RS is 2 door and over 50k second hand along with the Sirroco so as I said earlier I am after a 4 door and I will spend up to 40k. I'm yet to actually test drive a Golf which is on the cards. However I must have a clutch, I need a manual back in my life. I drive a DSG Mondeo which is shit and is probably not comparable to a DSG Golf so I'm not really sold on the setup as yet.

eyecandy

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Adam
Drive
Evo VII GSR
No clutch! But I must drive one to see what all the hype is about...

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Two wet multi-plate clutches and changes in ~8ms should make up for the lack of third pedal.

G

Unregistered
Father in law has a 05 DSG 3.2 Audi TT, it's a pretty good setup and sweet to drive but I found the transmission gave me the shits a lot, especially on take off.Audi themselves told him to expect problems with the gearbox because they are prone to failure.I guess it probably just needs over servicing, but that is pretty expensive too ($700+) to do it at AUDI.so far no one else will touch it.You need the special fluid as well which is a few hundred dollars per change.He is on the case though, about to try and service it himself, good luck to him I hope it works out.

eyecandy

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Adam
Drive
Evo VII GSR
Thats always a worry too, the service costs etc of a VW, especially if something breaks out of warranty, good car or not. The good thing about buying an XR5 is that I worked for a Ford dealership here for over 3 years and can source parts and labour pretty cheap, or just do it myself!

I really am starting to lean towards the XR5, so much sexier shape than the Golf too IMHO.

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
Just got an email from Ford talking about the new Focus ST that will be coming out later this year.

So you might have another option in the 4 door Turbo variety as from what I can find it says that it will be replacing the XR5.

chiliie

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
john
Drive
99 legnum VR4
Big fan of the R36, highly rate them!!
If legnums weren't soo sexy, I woulda forked out for 1 of these!!

eyecandy

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Adam
Drive
Evo VII GSR
Just got an email from Ford talking about the new Focus ST that will be coming out later this year.

So you might have another option in the 4 door Turbo variety as from what I can find it says that it will be replacing the XR5.

Only problem with the new ST is it will likely be a 2 litre ECO Boost rather than the 5 cyl Volvo turbo engine, would be interesting to see specs of the new ST but I doubt it will be as good as the LS, LT, LV power wise...

I bought a new genuine power window regulator for a 2003 Golf today, cost $190.. and that wasn't even the whole unit, just a repair kit consisting of cables and pulleys that I have to figure out how to rebuild myself.

I've previously bought complete genuine assemblies for other cars, consisting of the rails etc all fitted and ready to bolt in.. for half that price.

Don't get me started on what a bizarro land it is under the door trim of said Golf. What's up with using spline head screws and riveting shit on all over the place.

My sentiments exactly, I still havent driven one but to be honest I'm just not into Golf's full stop.

Top Bottom