What did you work on today?

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Just got my car back into the garage before it started to piss down here!!! Least i can keep it clean for a few more days

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
You guys got massive wind down there? Hopefully it doesn't blow crap on to your car!

G

Unregistered
Just got my car back into the garage before it started to piss down here!!! Least i can keep it clean for a few more days

Haha.. I cleaned mine up really nicely on Sunday, so it's sitting in the garage until the weather clears up while I take the spare car out in this typhoon! I want to drive it at least once while it's nice & shiny! Problem is.. poor thing is getting dusty :sad:

CLuTZ

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andre
Drive
C73A Lancer GSR, G6E Turbo MK2
swapped throttle bodies, to fix idle issue caused by a farked FIAV. Had to modify the water pipes, as the lines for the magna throttle body I used were alot different to the ones on the EVO throttle body.

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Looked at my car with 16" rims and shuddered slightly, although it is a bit more of a "softer" and more comfy drive with the stockies on it sure feels unstable and like i'm driving on poo strapped to the wheels. Please people, stay away from Nexen tyres...these things are the devil!! Can't wait to get my 18's on again and NOT mess them up straight away this time :p

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
98 legnum type s, jzza70 supra
i pulled out my spare bumper to practice using the dremel i bought. :) practiced modifing the number plate to get rid of the jap gap. also cut off the tow hook cover attachment so it will look like the bumper came without it from factory.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Luke, how did you find the ride comfort of the 16's vs the 18's?

Was it noticeable? What about on average roads?

Were you running the same brand and model of tyres on both sized rims?

The reason for my question is that I am happy with the ride comfort on my stock 16's. I'm thinking of going larger in future but don't want to do so if it will mean a harsh / crashy / tramlining ride.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
well today i got my car running, first time in 2 weeks.

sourced a new ignition barrel and indicator/wiper mechanism to replace my smashed items when someone tried to steal the car.

one thing i found out AFTER sourcing the parts is that manual vs auto steering locks and ignition barrels are different. the auto barrel has an extra release wire connected to the gear box. but seeing i found the only half cut of a vr4 in adelaide, finding another barrel wasnt an option. hooked up the new one and didnt connect the release wire (as theres no spot for it on a manual barrel) and was wondering what was gona happen. but everything works fine, the car comes out of gear when foot is on the brake, the car wont change gear until the keys are in the ignition, werid. but im happy everything has been fixed. well locks-wise. still gota replace my smashed windows.

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Luke, how did you find the ride comfort of the 16's vs the 18's?

Was it noticeable? What about on average roads?

Were you running the same brand and model of tyres on both sized rims?

The reason for my question is that I am happy with the ride comfort on my stock 16's. I'm thinking of going larger in future but don't want to do so if it will mean a harsh / crashy / tramlining ride.

On my 18" rims I'm running Nankang NS-2 tyres, basicaly brand new. On the 16" rims they came from compliance with Nexen tyres that were fairly worn when I recieved the car.
I found the 16's were much more soft and comfortable over bumpier roads then the 18's but didn't feel as planted and stable with the smaller tyres (205 vs 225). If I didn't really like the look of the 18's and preferred a comfy ride over a firm, compliant ride i'd keep the 16's, but get some slightly wider and much better tyres. It sounds to me like you'd be much happier keeping the 16's and getting some good tyres OR upgrading to the middle ground of some 17's.

MasqUAP

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
'98 VFR 800 / '92 Ford Laser Turbo / '10 Kia Cerato S
Finally put in the black side indicators and the custom floor mats. Both look beautiful with the dark blue car.

Any chance of a pic of these on? My indigo blue Legnum landed in Brisvegas on Sunday so should be heading down soon. Tossing up the idea of picking some of the black ones up as the clear ones (which I'd prefer) don't appear to be readily available, but not sure how it'd look.

-Dave-

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Dave.

I have the same colour car as you and I can definitely confirm that the black indicators improve the look of the car, particularly in our colour.

You can see the pics here:

http://www.ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5251&page=6

If you go earlier in that thread, you can compare it with the pics of the car when it had the standard orange side indicators.

G

Unregistered
Did a full brake system flush today using Castrol Response Super DOT 4. The Air Boy compressor powered brake bleeder made sucking through the old fluid a breeze. Brakes feel great now. :)

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Tried and failed to fix the passenger side inner plastic guard. Had one coming from legs11 but by the looks of things that's not gunna show up. Mine is smashed up pretty bad and keeps popping out over speedbumps and driveways. Oh well, the hunt for another one begins :p

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Installed some new center aircon vents, tomorrow ill be wiring my GPS into the cars electrical system and installing an oil catch can.

rooks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2005 ST246 Caldina GT4
Oil change using Penrite 10w-50 semi-synthetic and oil filter Ryco Z56B, old filters looked like compliance Coopers oil filter (blue).
Lifter quiet and pick up feels better!! ;)

Drained manual gearbox oil and filled using Castrol 75w-90 GL4 (green fluid). Hope i didnt overfill since i didnt have the car on leveled surface as per the how-to guide. Filled around 2.2-2.4L...shifting has improved!

Interesting that the magnetic drain screw is a magnet!! The oil fluids wasnt too murky, i guess gearbox oil and engine oil works differently? ie: how to tell if the gear box fluid was old oil ?

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
10W-50, that is a very thick oil. And you used semi synthetic? Mitsi calls for 5W-30 in our engines. Were you having severe tappet noise?

Also with the manual tranny, its fluid level is 2.7L from memory and if you are on a level surface you can't overfill it.

rooks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2005 ST246 Caldina GT4
10W-50, that is a very thick oil. And you used semi synthetic? Mitsi calls for 5W-30 in our engines. Were you having severe tappet noise?

Also with the manual tranny, its fluid level is 2.7L from memory and if you are on a level surface you can't overfill it.

Yeah 10w is recommendation from Elfie Automotive, and no excessive tappet noise prior to the oil change, although heard it on one occasion while licensing the car. With Penrites their viscosity range is always large, 10w-50 instead of 10w-40 with other brands. My understanding (10w-50) is 10 viscosity cold oil and 50 viscosity when warm/hot? No chance of freezing weather in Perth!

ah will refill the manual tranny on level surface and see. Could be lacking 200-300ml.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Its not the "cold" or "start up weight" that is the concern, its the 50w when at full operating temp. That is very thick. 0-5-10Wxxx is fine, we should go no higher than 40.

P.S I am not having a go at you for what you put into your own car, just trying to give you some friendly advice;)

rooks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2005 ST246 Caldina GT4
Its not the "cold" or "start up weight" that is the concern, its the 50w when at full operating temp. That is very thick. 0-5-10Wxxx is fine, we should go no higher than 40.

P.S I am not having a go at you for what you put into your own car, just trying to give you some friendly advice;)

No worries, didnt feel hassled!...appreciate any advice :) Just liked the idea of having Penrites working the engines, supporting good old local produce too!
Just about as expensive i would spend without going the amsoil or royal purple.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Engine and AT fluid change today.
Made a big mess (gotta get a larger oil-pan), but all good. Running awesome again.

Top Bottom