Wheel Spacers - Where, How Much, Worth It, Implications?

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
You can use a 10mm spacer. Get a 10mm hub centric slip on, then get longer studs.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Or just get new wheels, thats what I did....

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Wait, hold the press!

You plan to run 265's right? Which means you would have 10" rims. What 10" rims would require spacers? They would not even come close to clearing the inner suspension arms without spacers. This doesnt makes sense.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Wait, hold the press!

You plan to run 265's right? Which means you would have 10" rims. What 10" rims would require spacers? They would not even come close to clearing the inner suspension arms without spacers. This doesnt makes sense.

yeah i bought these of Chris,
http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread....ul-Rims-Wide-pack-fitment&p=185514#post185514
and at the moment i am playing around fitting them, the fronts fit fine but the rears are a problem but as i have been busy with work i havent had a proper chance to play with them.. ill take some pics and show progress of them when i have a chance

Trust me I don't think they are really 265's - rims are 9.5, I'm almost certain they were pressed with the wrong size as the 255s on the rims at the time of sale were wider (also larger profile)!

Didn't try fitting them to my Galant since I didn't expect them to clear the brembos so made no garuntees about fitment, but should look p0rn if they do work out ok - example of same type of rims below:

P1010248.jpg

Edit - Galant running similar rims: http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread....NT-MEGA-THREAD&p=178701&viewfull=1#post178701

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
The other piece to the spacer puzzle is stud length, are our OEM ones M12 x P1.5 or P1.25 thread ?

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
Think you need 1.5.

Current rims on the Galant are the famous Evo 8 MR Power Pack BBS jobs.

Still contemplating having some custom hubcentric spacers machined up but this info may also be useful for others in future aswell...

1. Anyone know the VR-4 (FL) hub and typical centre bore sizes for the above off-hand?
2. Is the standard stud length 47mm or longer?

/Edit: Search of clubvr4 tells me that the VR-4 hub centre bore is 67.10mm
/Edit2: Extended studs like these from ARP #100-7717 will be necessary, probably settle on these after the helpful folk on CVR4 helped compared the part numbers between VR-4 / Evo i.e. MB911495

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
Shame most/all of the aftermarket lugs come with the tapered ends that aren't good for Evo rims. :(.

Damn Chris you coudnt be more right...I have E8 rims as well and bought a set of rays (turquoise) wheel nuts..but then realised that they were not suitable...and there are'nt any flat nuts available in the market...

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
So I ended up getting a set of these: http://www.ichibausa.com/10alwhsp9.html , guys in the Evo community seem to be using them to good effect without complaint.

Wheelworx claimed they couldn't really assist because the wheel = hub bore size in my current application (or rather their solution was to modify the wheels!). i.e. Evo rims being a Mitus factory option (obviously not for our cars) meant they have the same bore 67.1mm as the VR-4 / Evo hub.

/Edit: Ichiba are on national backorder apparently... seller has supplied H&R Trak+ DRS units (P/N: 30656715) in 15mm instead, lets see how these work!

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
All my parts for this work have finally arrived, pics below shows ARP extended studs with Evo 8 MR rims and open ended lug nuts but without spacers.

wheelstuds_evo8mr.jpg

Worst case I may end up using the extended studs that come with the spacers if the ARP ones look totally like ass because of their length , though cosmetics is only part of the application.

Top Bottom