Wheel speed sensor removal

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
As title says, what is the best way to remove the wheel speed sensors. I ask because mine are on there pretty solidly and i cant seem to get them off. Is there a special technique im missing cos i dont want to break them??

DVR

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Danny
Drive
Delica mainly
I like to know too as I can't get them out either.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Yeah its a right pita, feels like there is something still holding them in. Anyone??

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
whats the reason for taking them out? theyre my only error codes i have left, 3 of my 4 wheel speed sensors under the abs code but abs still works fine

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Maybe a CV joints need replacing or broken reluctor ring?

Here is a very good guide on how to remove and fit your reluctor ring. I did follow the instructions and works a treat! Just be VERY VERY careful when prying your ring using the screw driver.

Also, if you don't have a blow torch, put your ring onto the oven and set it to maximum heat for at least 20-30 minutes then drop it in. After it cools down, used Red Loctite for more security of the ring.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
No im trying to get my active yaw control to work. Have changed the ayc ecu, cleaned the tps and the only thing i can think to do is clean these sensors as they are the only fault codes im still getting. Its weird now cos i have no ayc faults coming up at all, just abs ones yet it doesnt work.

wesleyong

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
Lancer wagon 4G93T / 1999 Legnum VR-4
So if I'm getting an error code for my FR wheel speed sensor, does that mean I should be replacing the unit? Are there are anything I should be looking at as well?

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
As far as i can gather mine are still working even though they are showing a fault code so i wouldnt bother if it is a abs 21 your getting.

wesleyong

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
Lancer wagon 4G93T / 1999 Legnum VR-4
ABS 21 is what I'm getting! However, AYC 41 (TPS Short or Break) is my other code. I know this is the wrong thread for this, but is anyone able to please point me in the right direction for this?

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Its your throttle position sensor which is the plug on the throttle body. Try jiggling cleaning it although that didnt work for me. For some reason though when i changed the ecu it did go away. Again i dont think that code is anything to worry about but thats just my opinion.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
ABS 21 is what I'm getting! However, AYC 41 (TPS Short or Break) is my other code. I know this is the wrong thread for this, but is anyone able to please point me in the right direction for this?

Had a flat or disconnected battery recently?

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
i had abs codes for 3 different wheel speed sensors. abs and ayc are still working (to my knowledge) just fine. i also had the tps code at the same time. a good clean and an ecu reset and a 20odd minute drive got rid of that

Vstar_83

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matthew
Drive
96 Gen 8 VR4 Galant
Did anyone end up changing the sensors over? I have 3/4 I need to fix. Last pot 2010, I feel like the thread grave digger :ROFLMAO:

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Sometimes they come out. Mostly they don't. Spray penetrene around it. Wait a day. Wiggle it. Spray again. Wait a day. Wiggle it. Repeat until the sensor comes out or you get sick of it and buy hub carriers with sensors. Might be lucky the first day :)

Vstar_83

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matthew
Drive
96 Gen 8 VR4 Galant
Sometimes they come out. Mostly they don't. Spray penetrene around it. Wait a day. Wiggle it. Spray again. Wait a day. Wiggle it. Repeat until the sensor comes out or you get sick of it and buy hub carriers with sensors. Might be lucky the first day :)
So is it very important to have them changed over? Thanks Steve.

Top Bottom