Yellow Sticker

bj82

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brad
Drive
99 SII Legnum VR4
Just wondering if anyone has had any drama with the dark glass (not tint) in the rear windows etc..

I got pulled over thurs night and after the cop pretty much went over the car with a magnifying glass and toothpick he gave me a yellow sticker for "too dark tint in rear windows"....

It was about 7pm and on a poorly lit road but his super human vision detected the windows were way too dark. I've heard that its not illegal if the windows are a darkend glass rather than having a film tint.
If anyone could shed some light i'd appreciate it.

Cheers, Brad.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Yeah i got pulled over for the same thing but as soon as i told them it was factory fitted frosted glass or whatever you call it and showed them the little mitsubishi symbols on the window they were like oh ok. On ya way.

Cant be illegal either cos it would have gone through compliance like that.

bj82

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brad
Drive
99 SII Legnum VR4
that's what i thought.

cheers man.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
You should be able to get it off especially if it's factory fitted. MOST cops out on the road know jack shit about cars I should know cos I worked with cops for 10 years.
They like to break our balls on the road:001_mad:

MUNGEL

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jess
Drive
99 Series II Legnum
I had the same thing as Matt, told them it was black glass and is a factory feature and they were fine with it. But i've had to tell about 5 cops that now. Makes me hesitant about getting the front 2 windows tinted.

G

Unregistered
Just wondering if anyone has had any drama with the dark glass (not tint) in the rear windows etc..

I got pulled over thurs night and after the cop pretty much went over the car with a magnifying glass and toothpick he gave me a yellow sticker for "too dark tint in rear windows"....

It was about 7pm and on a poorly lit road but his super human vision detected the windows were way too dark. I've heard that its not illegal if the windows are a darkend glass rather than having a film tint.
If anyone could shed some light i'd appreciate it.

Cheers, Brad.

lol i know much about your car ... and your house ... :p i dropt the car off to your place ...thats why :p
just say its black glass when u go over the pits . and they should take it off straight away . aslong as u have no other reasons the car should gett a yellow . the guys at O'connor pits have seen many of them because of us so it would be easy there but abit out of your way .

good luck either way

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
My brother in law had that happen with his Stagea. Had to convince them that its factory fitted. You should get the sticker off easy.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Almost every Legnum I've seen has the super dark rear wagon glass. Which makes me think that they are a factory fitted as standard. Only the lighter glass was a option. Therefore all you would have to do is tell them that is it dark glass and not tint so you can't remove it.

bj82

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brad
Drive
99 SII Legnum VR4
Hey guys all just an update,

Had the sticker taken off today and the guys at o'connor were real cool about it.
Didn't have any drama getting it off at all.

Checked the whole car and couldn't find any other reason as to why it would be stickered.

Still $86.00 i'd rather spend on hookers......or milkshakes.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
S**t you gotta pay even though there was nothing wrong (didnt know that), should be the dumbass cop that pays when hes wrong. Might stop them giving them out so much.

MUNGEL

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jess
Drive
99 Series II Legnum
S**t you gotta pay even though there was nothing wrong (didnt know that), should be the dumbass cop that pays when hes wrong. Might stop them giving them out so much.

That's why you fight it.
Once they put it on, drive to a cop station, ask to speak to a Senior Sergeant, show and tell them that it's factory and they will take it off straight away. If it's tinted, get them to do their little card test. If it passes they will take it off then and there too. Plus the other cop will get in trouble and you dont have to go to the pits :)
Had to do it with an ex's car

G

Unregistered
That's why you fight it.
Once they put it on, drive to a cop station, ask to speak to a Senior Sergeant, show and tell them that it's factory and they will take it off straight away. If it's tinted, get them to do their little card test. If it passes they will take it off then and there too. Plus the other cop will get in trouble and you dont have to go to the pits :)
Had to do it with an ex's car

but did u pull the whole crying thing aswell ? cause girls get out of anything and everything if they cry or show just that little bit more =.=" but u see a guy pull that and they will prob get done for something else

MUNGEL

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jess
Drive
99 Series II Legnum
but did u pull the whole crying thing aswell ? cause girls get out of anything and everything if they cry or show just that little bit more =.=" but u see a guy pull that and they will prob get done for something else

Haha no Matt. I was just angry
Failed to mention that you have to contest it within 48 hours though.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
you can black out your back windows and they can't do shit...
That's a common misunderstanding - you can do no such thing. Its covered elsewhere, but for simplicity, the law in WA (very similar in other states of Aus) says that you cannot reduce the visibility of existing windows below 35% light transmission. That means if you car comes with glass from the factory, you can't make it darker than 35% tint. If the glass is already darker than 35%, you can't (legally) make it any darker. You also can't remove the windows if the car came with them (without an engineer's cert).

What you CAN do is buy a car (or van or truck, which is where this applies really) that doesn't have rear windows fitted, have windows made and black THOSE out. Because you're not reducing the visibility of the vehicle in its factory form (no glass) then its perfectly legal, but its the ONLY time its legal.

The ramifications for our cars is the stock privacy glass is already 20% from factory, however there is no UV filter, so you can still get sunburnt through the glass. The only way you can legally apply a UV filter is to use optically clear UV filtering tint. There is a brand (I think called OptiClear) which is available, but its VERY expensive - doing four doors and the back window of a sedan will set you back around $800. Most people use a light tint (58%) with a 99% UV filter on the back windows of cars with privacy glass and they're usually ok. Just make sure you don't go under 35% on the front windows and you should be fine.

Thanks for posting that info too, Jess!

Top Bottom