2010 PIKES PEAK INTERNATIONAL HILL CLIMB

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
Hi Guys,

Some of you may be aware I have been in Colorado for the PPIHC, crewing and doing tuning for Team Denmead. This has been a fantastic experience for us, if you want to catch up with whats been happening, follow the link below. From there, follow the link to Jeffs blog with some pix.

The short story is:
Fastest qualifier in Time Attack class.
followed by
Winner, Time Attack class.

http://4g63evolution.net/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=663

G

Unregistered
Do you have a direct link to the blog that doesn't require registration on the forum?

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
I have to say I am very proud to be a part of the team, Jeff and Cath have been nothing short of brilliant the whole week.

The program is very tiring, up and off to the mountain at 3am to get into position for the practice sessions. These start at 5am, ie as soon as its light enough to drive fast without lights. The field is split into three groups and each practice a different section of the mountain each day.

Practice finishes at typically 9am, so the Evo usually got 3-4 runs up that section of mountain.
There are some very good drivers in very potent cars here, it seems most of the top V8s are running 700-850 hp, 700 being considered a bit light-on. The take offs from the Pro-Stock and the top Open Wheel class cars are phenomenal. When practice is over, back down the mountain to Colorado Springs for brekky-lunch, shower, afternoon sleep/nap for Jeff and Cath, tuning and data analysing for me.

The program for our group, which included the Unlimited, Open Wheel, Pro-Stock, Time Attack and Rally class cars, was thus:

Tuesday - Regristration and Tech Inspection.

Wednesday - Middle Section, GlenCove to Devils Playground, so named for the spectacular effects when the lightning gets going! This is definately not for the faint-hearted driver, or co-driver. This is all tarmac, with mostly 150-250m straights followed by a hairpin, then repeat etc.

Thursday - Top Section, Devils Playgroung to Summit. This is mostly loose gravel, only the last mile is tarmac.
Arrived in freezing conditions, 30-40 knot winds and near zero visability, as we were well into the clouds. To get some heat into the gearbox and diffs and tyres, all the competition cars drove up, some with only a single little spot light to see by, which must have been fun in those conditions. Fortunately it cleared enough to allow some practice. The drivers were reporting very hairy road surface conditions. Millen was having some issues, fuel pumps we think. Tajima was hot and so were the Open Wheel and Pro-Stock boys.

Friday - Qualifying - Lower Section, Start Line to Glen Cove. This section is approximately half the track length, has both tarmac and gravel, and usually sees the most offs! A very demanding and technical road, if not quite as daunting as the middle section. My data logs report lots of 100mph plus speeds exceeded.

As Jeff ran best Time Attack in qualifying, he was obliged to present the car in town for the Fan-Fest Parade on Friday night, in downtown Colorado Springs. This was sure fun, lots of interest in the car.

Saturday - Rest day. This means Jeff and Cath run arroung getting the Evo serviced etc, while Jane and I go Class 3-4 white water rafting on the Arkansas River through the Royal Gorge. Super Buzz that was.

Sunday - Race Day. Up at three, ready to go, and Jeff locks the keys in the truck with the motor running. Naturally there is only one key - bugger. We just left it there, motor running - and piled the kit into the Dodge and bolted for the mountain. Glitch over for the day, says Jane. She was right, the rest of the day for our team was a dream come true.

The result, a win in Time Attack 4WD with a time of 11m 53s, and if I have read correctly, 11th overall best time.
Oh, and a new record Time Attack Qualifying Time.

Dave

Top Bottom