AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
No I've not verified the source of the noise, this is simply my assumption.

lateshow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lauri
Drive
TD04 Galant (Type-V)
It will never as quiet as stock with those cams. We have one with shims and totally new lifters and it's much more quiet than mine but still not like stock.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I have the same cam, lifters were quiet before install, first installed cam without shims, was noisy. Adam suggested shims so did that and still noisy. Even tried thicker oil to no prevail. Strange thing is it's only one or two that are making noise. Im sorta over it. Hopefully figure it out when I build new motor and can have all clearances checked.
I'd suggest it could be the roller. Did you inspect the end that contacts the valve before refitting. I noticed that 2 of mine were pitted and guess what, I didn't replace them and I have 2 that are noisey now after refitting. Time frame didn't allow replacement of the roller.
With more strain on the valve gear with the greater lift and ramp rate, its not surprising there may be a loittle more noise.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Yeah I did make a post somewhere about checking your rockers and valve stem tips after I got some good photos of what they look like when they are damaged. Chipped rocker tips and or valve stem ends definatly would contribute to more valvetrain noise.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
As I said quiet beforehand and valvetrain was spotless with no damage to valve ends or rollers. Noise only appeared after install. It's annoying, but should have new engine built with everything checked and machined accordingly.

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
Year 2000 EA5A => FL EC5A
finish put the shim on last night. doing in it in 2 night after work and stay out late. you know its really really PITA Job to do when you already had 2 times stiffer valve spring installed. what most annoying is alloy debris due to - screw driver used the get that HLA in and out. Got to clean the head out from debris tonight. will try to start engine right after. Now i feel sleepy zzzz zzzz zzzzz

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
Well put the shim on, and did oil change + filter on last Saturday morning. this is oil change for the third times in engine break in process within 300 km. will continue like this until the used oil shows normal sign. I am a bit paranoia with risking crank bearing scratched. The result is not bad at all. the idle went back to normal, before it was a bit lumpy. HLA ticking sound is gone, well not entirely gone perhaps some of HLA already buggered from the start, but much much better but when engine fully warmed up, the ticking sound is gone. I did check the retainer roller, and it was fine, no up and down play. And the last is UTCOMP AFR rasio gauge shows normal indicator, before it was very lean. Now idle hunting between 14,6 - 15.4.

Very happy with result, but the question is will stock HLA would hold the stiffer valve spring in Hi RPM engine performance? I havent push the car yet due to engine break in procedure.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
I currently have some 268° 9.8mm lift regrinds
These are a larger lobe area grind than my usual 262.

This is the grind I run on my person daily driver VR4. Has a more noticeable lump/rut to the idle compared to the 262.

They however do require the lifters to be shimmed. But I will include some shims for no charge.

Price is same as normal. 900nzd plus shipping on exchange (you send me your stock cams)
20190414_132905.jpg

Dan Bloomfield

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Daniel
Drive
Vr4 legnum
I have 3 sets of reground stock camshafts to sell at a reduced price this one time only.

Price is for all 4 cams including 24 heavy duty valve springs is 1000NZD if you dont return me any stock cams.
If you send me back a set of stock cams after you install them I will refund you $200NZD making it 800NZD which is 100 bucks cheaper than usual.

Hay bud just wondering if your still in the cam regrind business.. I'm interested to know if your still doing 6a13tt Cams/builds

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
I currently have some 268° 9.8mm lift regrinds
These are a larger lobe area grind than my usual 262.

This is the grind I run on my person daily driver VR4. Has a more noticeable lump/rut to the idle compared to the 262.

They however do require the lifters to be shimmed. But I will include some shims for no charge.

Price is same as normal. 900nzd plus shipping on exchange (you send me your stock cams)

To be precise what is the shim thickness? is it 0.6mm?

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S

Dan Bloomfield

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Daniel
Drive
Vr4 legnum
I know this thread is quite old but are you still doing the cam regrind and what is the current price plus the springs
Cheers

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Yes I am still doing them. PM me.

Also @Nicosolace you still have not returned your stock cams to me and are ignoring my Facebook messages..

Top Bottom