active yaw control or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Unregistered
hey guys

im just wondering what your opinion on active yaw control is as im looking at buying a legnum in the near future and would like to know wether its would be wiser to buy one with active yaw control or not and buy a newer model

cheers

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Hey Darren, welcome to OZVR4.

Take a look over this thread: http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?11-INDEX-Look-here-FIRST.

Personally; I came from a wrx with suspension mods; so I was expecting the legnum to handle like a boat. Quite surprisingly it was the exact opposite. Of course; you can modify alot but in the stock form they feel half the size and handle extremely well in the corners.

This video gives you a basic idea of the difference AYC makes. Take note of the cone and long left turn sections.

2:34 onwards

G

Unregistered
thanks brett sorry i am new to forums in general and this has helped heaps thanks man p.s. i wish i could understand japanese so i could understand what they are saying but certainly looked good

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
thanks brett sorry i am new to forums in general and this has helped heaps thanks man p.s. i wish i could understand japanese so i could understand what they are saying but certainly looked good

Haha.. I hear you with the translation issues. Any further questions, feel free to PM me.

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
The Subaru looks floppy in comparison

I just love the mega-oversteer of the subaru @ the end of the cone run and in the sharp left corner.

Considering that car has Bilstein suspension, not some yum-char cheap stocko setup... it is clear just how AYC really makes a big difference.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Fixed.

AYC is great technology. I have both an AYC legnum and one with an LSD. The AYC shits on it :)

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Everything the legnum gained in the corners, it lost on the straights. shame the 6A13TT isnt as fast as it could have been in stock form.

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Fixed.

AYC is great technology. I have both an AYC legnum and one with an LSD. The AYC shits on it :)

Ahh yes... but I bet the LSD is more fun ;) Sideways action. Not to mention the looks you would get trying to 'creep' around in a carpark. (i.e. chirp... chirp... chirp .... from the rear wheels on the concrete)

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Fixed.

You mean: "I have a legnum with a boring LSD and my GF has the Cool, faster, more powerful Leggie with the cool AYC diff!"

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Everything the legnum gained in the corners, it lost on the straights. shame the 6A13TT isnt as fast as it could have been in stock form.

Hasn't it been long known now that the Legnum in that vid was stuffed? They f-ed up something with the oil I think. THere's a fair bit of smoke getting blown out at one point.... I'd like to another vid with a proper full functioning Leggie.
That GT-B is still mighty quick in a straight line though..

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Lol, the LSD is fun for power on work, there is no doubt about that! AYC just makes it more refined :)

Poor straight line performance from the VR4 is disappointing to say the least. On stock turbo's though, its amazing what you CAN get out of them with a bit of elbow grease and deep pockets ;)

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
As Brad mentioned above; I'm pretty sure that legnum has oil issues; so I would suspect oil leaking onto the exhaust from the lateral movement towards the apex of the corner. Notice the smoke gets considerably whiter the move he turns in; Or even smoke from the exhaust as he powers on out of the corner.

G

Unregistered
Yep, in the video they say that the engine oil had been overfilled and somehow sloshed out from the excessive G forces and started burning off.

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
AYC, always AYC.

How else can you buy a Series 2 Manual? :D

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The only cars to come without AYC are some (I'd say about 30%) of Facelift Auto Legnums, about the same percentage of Facelift Auto Galants, and all Manual Facelift Galants.

Most of the time it is easier to find a VR-4 with AYC as every prefacelift comes with AYC and most facelifts do too. The only time you ever need to go without AYC is if you want a Manual Facelift Galant.

AYC makes the car handle better, as simple as that!

As for the video, the GT-B is about 60kg lighter and has more power above 6000rpm. On the track you can spend a bit of time above 6000rpm of course. From idle to 5500rpm the VR-4 makes anywhere from 15-40% more power than the Legacy.

swift5_8

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomas
Drive
Current: Legnum, Datsun 260z x 3
Past: 180sx, gti-r sold R32 GTS4, 1972 Restored Celica
Darren

I would go for AYC Legnum rather than not, the only thing is it must not make ANY noises while cornering hard.
I would do near a full lock to one side then give it some gas - nearly to the point where you spin the wheels and listen then do the same in different direction.

If it makes noises then avoid that car.

Trust me i have learned the wrong way.

Mine is was stuffed but even then it cornered really well. ( to one side only lol)

Tomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom