Advice on new Build

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Any particular reason you're opting for i7 over i5? I went the i5 760 and a decent socket 1156 board and was able to allocate funds elsewhere. Still fast enough for everything I throw at it and as proved by Gav, they overclock well :)

Speaking of toasty CPU I run this in my SFF HTPC, idles at mid 40s, hits 70s under load http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/pentium4-670.html

3.8Ghz of hyper threaded single core POWAHHHHHHHHH! Still apparently one of the fastest stock clocked CPU Intel have made. Think it was about this point they realised multi cores was a much better plan :p OC'd to 7.1Ghz: http://forums.techarena.in/web-news-trends/419424.htm

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The i7 is better :) For normal use a 1156 i5 or i7 is great, but the 900 series i7's are just that little bit better, especially if you intend to run 2 graphics cards or want lots of ram.

Zild

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
1998 VR4 Galant
I once had my cpu running at 90, but only because i hadnt applied thermal paste correctly...

@Emu. I'm shopping from MSY, they're prices are always great... I've never found a market stall that beats their prices unfortunatley :p

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I'm shopping from MSY, they're prices are always great..

Wish I could say the same about their website! Have you gone blind from looking at it yet? I use them for pricing up stuff & can't stand it...

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Vast majority of the nerds on whirlpool forums believe pccasegear.com.au are winners. Purchased all my gear from them. Great price and well packed for shipping.

5970 fits well in the HAF case, xfire shouldn't be a problem.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
I'm looking at the high end motherboards, but am not settled on what video card I want, but they don't seem to have any onboard video capability anymore?
HD Audio is the standard onboard audio now, but onboard video has gone by the wayside. Is this right?

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Sorry, to be more specific, I'm looking at the Intel X58 chipset motherboards. I'm wanting to run the best Intel CPU I can get my hands on, & worry about the videocard & soundcard later.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
The only way to get onboard with intel at the moment is to buy a dual core i5 or lower. Buy an X58 with an i7 950 and get a cheap GTX4xx or ATI 5xxx series card.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
The only way to get onboard with intel at the moment is to buy a dual core i5 or lower. Buy an X58 with an i7 950 and get a cheap GTX4xx or ATI 5xxx series card.

Do you know if they plan on integrating video on the i7/x58 boards at some point? Having to buy a separate video card is just a waste of money..

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
The high-end x58 boards have overclocking in mind and don't have the integrated video chipsets (AFAIK, no X58 chipset motherboards do).

The dual core i3 and i5 (not the quad i5 7xx or the quad i7 8xx series) from Socket 1156 have an integrated GPU on the die itself as well as the CPU cores.

I have an nVidia 8500GT that I can sling your way for $20 if you want?

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Yea I'm wanting raw CPU grunt & more cores for emulators & video encoding amongst other things. 3D gaming isn't the highest of my priorities hence why I would be happy with onboard video. It looks like the AMD mobos have also ditched it.

What's the detailed specs of 8500GT? Full working order? The Super has to sell first anyways so I'm in no rush..

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
You can go with a fast quad or hex core AMD and get the 890GX chipset on a board. If you want intel your best option is dual core.

If you really want a quad core intel with graphics onboard, you'll have to wait for Sandy Bridge.

I don't really understand your dislike of discrete graphics though, there are plenty of cheap video cards out there that will give you better multi monitor support than integrated that cost less than $100 (which if you're buying an X58 isn't very much)

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
I've got no problem with discrete graphics, it's just to me it's empty money at the moment to have to buy a separate graphics card that will only get replaced by a better one (as I WILL be buying a top notch card later) then I'm stuck with a card that nothing will ever happen to...I know it's less than $100, but it's less than $100 I can spend somewhere else.
So Sandy Bridge will have integrated graphics? I guess I'll wait for that to come out then. I've had bad experiences with AMDs before so I want to go Intel..

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive

Cheers. I have a Medion Touchscreen PC that I picked up from ALDI a year ago that is doing nothing but MPEG4 MKV encoding since I've moved house where it was mounted on a wall. It's a dual core 2.2Ghz, but isn't satisfactory for me so until this Sandy Bridge stuff comes out I'll stick with it before flogging it off.

Top Bottom