Alarm recommendations

G

Unregistered
I think alarms are a waste of time, no one looks anymore when they hear them going off, and a couple of weeks ago my mate got his R33 stolen and that had an alarm, they broke into his house while they were sleeping and took the keys so they were able to just turn it off and drive away, what we need is a retnal (eye ball, my spelling is not hot) scanner built into the sun visor.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Alarms aren't a waste of time - if you hear it going off I'm sure you'll do something about it! For times when you're not within hearing range or the keys get stolen, that's why you get a kill switch hidden somewhere - even if you have the keys, if you don't know where the kill switch is you can't start it. GPS tracking is a good backup too. I pity the fool who screws with my car...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I still can't see what the problem is with wiring up all the door handles with 10,000v. For some reason it isn't legal. I say **** them all!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Haha I'd love to agree, Brad, but then you could have a small kid (like your own kid) touch the car and get hurt, and that's not cool.

I prefer the 10,000MJ of whoopass I'll be happily inflicting ;)

(BTW if you're REALLY serious about electrifying your car, the easiest way to go is to install cattle prods. Which is also (happily) non-lethal. Not that such a device is legal in any way, nor should it be used on anything but private property in a safe 'testing' environment)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I don't have a kid, and they shouldn't be touching my car regardless of the situation! Their parents should have taught them some bloody respect

Chris Rogers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris Rogers
Drive
wagon
I think alarms are a waste of time, no one looks anymore when they hear them going off, and a couple of weeks ago my mate got his R33 stolen and that had an alarm, they broke into his house while they were sleeping and took the keys so they were able to just turn it off and drive away, what we need is a retnal (eye ball, my spelling is not hot) scanner built into the sun visor.

I'd disagree myself. given most of the ones I do have some form of tracking built into the job they perform the given function nicely.

hell I have $29m worth of council ferries here in brisbane with alarms on them that I have full access to. bear that in mind when I cycle one remotely and you are on it :)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Welcome to the forums, Chris. How'd you hear about us?

What would be your suggestion / recommendation for an upgrade alarm (ie addon to existing central locking and key remote) and a GPS tracking system?

Chris Rogers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris Rogers
Drive
wagon
dpends on budget really. give me a number to work with.

saw the web address on a silver sedan and also via justin murphy.(I followed teh direct link off my shop site logs.)

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
does anyone have any comments on the rhino system from my previous post?

G

Unregistered
While I recently had an alarm fitted, other than an immobilizer for insurance purposes, I'm not sure they're worth it either.

If someone smashes your window, tears apart the steering wheel/dash, scratches your interior to hell and hacks a few wires and panels along the way, do you really want your car back at all?

I have a few friends with Skylines that have had this happen to them, and for whatever reason (immobilizer/alarm hindrances perhaps) the thieves didn't take the car. The owners however, wish they had.

Their cars have never been in the same condition since even after repairs, and they would have rather taken the theft insurance money and imported a new one.

Anyone been in a similar situation have thoughts on this?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
dpends on budget really. give me a number to work with.

saw the web address on a silver sedan and also via justin murphy.(I followed teh direct link off my shop site logs.)
Ah sneaky sneaky ;) Good to have you along anyway :)

I've been looking at the Ezitrack for around $1k (or $1250 installed). I think this is better than Carminder, which is cheaper but as its limited to SMS you might not get the messages immediately (I've had SMSs come through more than 76 hours after initially sent).

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
While I recently had an alarm fitted, other than an immobilizer for insurance purposes, I'm not sure they're worth it either.

If someone smashes your window, tears apart the steering wheel/dash, scratches your interior to hell and hacks a few wires and panels along the way, do you really want your car back at all?

I have a few friends with Skylines that have had this happen to them, and for whatever reason (immobilizer/alarm hindrances perhaps) the thieves didn't take the car. The owners however, wish they had.

Their cars have never been in the same condition since even after repairs, and they would have rather taken the theft insurance money and imported a new one.

Anyone been in a similar situation have thoughts on this?
I can see their point, but it's really one specific situation. There are likely to be many more cases where the alarm would be of benefit.

Chris Rogers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris Rogers
Drive
wagon
QUIKTRAK

this is the system fitted to the brisbane council ferries.
24/7 monitoring and if someone sneezes on your car you get a phone call.

or a custom GSM/GPS solution with geofencing.(different company) In english this means you can do a big brother on whoever is driving your car. if they are speeding you will know if they are using it outside of hours you will know and so on. its really endless what you can do with it.

Chris Rogers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris Rogers
Drive
wagon
ezitrak - slef monitored idea- works well. same with car minder. both are GSM based. if somthing goes wrong they cannot call the police. quiktrak can.
that aside they do the intended purpose.

for me I need geofencing. I have two vans and one tends to do things that I do not technically know about at times.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Ah just read through Quiktrak's website and their coverage doesn't extend to WA :(

RE Geofencing, I think both Ezitrak and Carminder have a geofencing configuration setting.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Hey guys,

To those who are still looking for a decent alarms. I would also recommend the Viper 5701 Responder LE. It has all these feature from Viper 791XV and added more feature.

I have this installed on my Ralliart Magna and I got nothing to complain as it works like a dream. I'll be getting another one for the my Legnum.

For Sydney, Crankin Audio can do for around $750 fitted.

Top Bottom