Anyone have pics of stock muffler cut open?

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
Does anyone have a pic of a stock 8G Galant/legnum muffler cut open?

Im interested to see what the baffling etc setup looks like inside...

are the OEM units on a (series 2) a stainless item? Most OEM units are stainless in recent times?

ive done a search here and clubvr4 but didnt see anything...

id like to investigate the possibility of modding the OEM unit.

Eddy

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
thats a shame..although im not entirely abandoning the idea yet...

G

Unregistered
what are you going to 'mod' on it?

in my opinion, you're better off replacing the stock system with something a bit better flowing over all.

i've got a fujitsubo legalis revolution r on my leggy, which is a stainless steel 3" system, and normal driving is not much louder than the factory ralliart muffler i had, but it has a nicer note higher up, and a definate performance gain.

i did a 14.2 sec 1/4 mile with the stock exhaust and 12psi, and a 13.7 with the new exhaust, and 12psi, no other mods (hell,i even blew a gearbox when the times were still going down...)
there is a definate notice of low end torque that the higher flowing exhaust gives you.

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
I was thinking of opening it up, removing or modifying baffles, opening the entry point to a 3 inch pipe. maybe install a perforated tube to direct the flow straight from the inlet to the outlet and then repack the muffler with the stainless wool, or whatever it is then reweld it up.

you could make the outlet bigger or modify it to twin outlets etc.

not sure its worth having a go though, given they arent stainless, but i reckon somone with the time to experiment could end up with a very quiet, high flowing cheap and neat looking muffler this way..

being plain steel i guess is an advantage in a way as then you only need a mig welder (not a TIG) to make a go of it, which i do have..

i dunno if you'd destroy it just trying to open a big hole in it though.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
You would need to be handy with a welder to make it worth while I would imagine, as to pay someone to do it would surely cost the same as an lukey or similar (around $100-150) for a mild steel muffler.

Top Bottom