Anyone Heard of GrimmSpeed Boost Control Solenoid?

mchieff

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dennis
Drive
Legnum
Looks good - i was looking at the GM 3port but if this is what it says it is i'm keener on this

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Should be similar, you can wire up any 3 port though, that harness plug makes it easy though!

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Just to make it clear - when installing the 3 Port, you WILL need to have your ECU flashed to manage boost control. If you plug this solenoid in without reflash, uknown evil things will happen with your boost control

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
2001 Tarmac Black Evo VII
These are quite popular on EvoOz. Certainly the route ill be going down when i want to up my boost - Better solenoid and a reflash

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Just to make it clear - when installing the 3 Port, you WILL need to have your ECU flashed to manage boost control. If you plug this solenoid in without reflash, uknown evil things will happen with your boost control

from what' I've read, you can use it as a 2 port solenoid :) much like what we have right now.. right?!

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
I don't know about using it as a 2 port, I haven't read it all but either way, as Lee says you will still need a reflash even if you can use it as a bleed as the diameter through the solenoid will most likely be different sizing to the factory one, if they were the same size there would be no point in replacing the factory one. And if you buy one, you want it setup as a 3 port to eliminate wastegate creep anyway.

Danners

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
99 Galant VR4 Series 2
My mate just bought one of these for his Evo8... Will provide thoughts in a week or so

-T8-

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tate
Drive
WRX CSE5, 7g galant
i had the Grimmspeed Air oil separator and boost solenoid
They were both easy to install, came quick and looked awesome :)
really high quality product

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
So what would be the benefit of using this over stock? I will be getting Steve to flash my boost when he comes up. In what way would this unit control boost better?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
i had the Grimmspeed Air oil separator and boost solenoid
They were both easy to install, came quick and looked awesome :)
really high quality product

pics of the air and oil separator? I'm interested in it too :)

So what would be the benefit of using this over stock? I will be getting Steve to flash my boost when he comes up. In what way would this unit control boost better?

it would control the boost pressure more accurately..

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
First another word of warning, this has me a little concerned in the wrong hands. As I wrote to Christian and as Lee said above, installing this without a reflash is potentially very dangerous, boost levels could be virtually uncontrolled with the factory maps applied to the valve. I assume it defaults to allowing air through to the wastegates (someone needs to check) in which case my recommendation would be for anyone getting one, to install it but leave it electrically disconnected until the car is able to be flashed. If it is closed without a signal (wouldn't have thought so), ie blocking air to the wastegates, then the valve should be bypassed until the car is ready for a flash.

Basically this is a plug and play 3 port valve ready for control by the factory ecu. This eliminates some of the factory solenoid limitations, the factory valve uses a solenoid valve to bleed air (or to reduce pressure) away from the wastegates. The issue with this is that sometimes you just can't bleed enough (although with the restrictor removed we haven't hit that limit) but more importantly, the bleed allows wastegate creep. By the time 6 or 7 psi hits the wastegate, they are pretty much open but before that they are starting to open so the turbo is starting to lose power. Now if you have 10 psi coming down the line to the solenoid , you bleed some away to maintain more like 5 to the wastegate to allow more boost (say your aiming for 12) but the wastgate is already starting to open so the turbo is not working the best it can, eventually it all evens out but during spool up you are losing some air to the turbos. With a 3 port valve you block the air going to the wastegate, it sees atmospheric so stays completely shut if the 3 port is closed, whereas the bleed will still let pressure through to the turbo. At higher RPM the turbo will over spool if we keep the 3 port shut all the time and as we can only control duty cycle based on RPM, not load with the ECU there's not that much benefit up high, BUT at lower RPM, say below 2250 or thereabouts, you can't produce too much boost anyway so keeping a 3 port shut spools better than a bleed. At higher RPM we won't be getting as much spool benefit but the valve should still provide better boost control than the factory valve does, basically the same as most EBC's except the really clever closed loop ones.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
ok, I bought one and am waiting for its delivery..

so cross fingers that things dont go south.. I wont be installing this alone and will seek guidance from members who's had experience with this..

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
let me know about this man, me and steve were talkin about it

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
I made a 3 port boost solenoid out of the OE bleed solenoid and a spare fuel pressure solenoid. Took them both apart and put the OE boost solenoid coil into the fuel pressure solenoid chassis and viola, direct plug in 3 port solenoid.

you do need to retain the hose with the red end so you feed the solenoid through a restrictor. I haven't done any specific testing to see just how much (if any) improvement over stock. You will need a ECU flash also.

VR4S

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wil
Drive
00 Galant VR-4 Type S:(Momo,Recaro&Sunroof Packs), Short Shift Manual conv's with Front Helical LSD
Recently Installed, not tune yet.

Here is a comparison picture:

Solenoid001.jpg

Top Bottom