Are the Dump Pipes worth it?

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Hey guys

I know a few of you have purchased the dump pipes....are they worth the $430 price for them? I mean really...really really????? I am pulling about 165kw on a dyno with metal piping, Haltech, FMIC and 2.5inch cat back....would I expect more power from these things?

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
That's the problem I have with most mods for the VR4. The $-kw ratio just doesn't work for me...

I'm sure these will give you a gain - most people seem to report gains in the single figure range - but whether they're worth such a big investment is another question.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I have them, and didn't think it was a hell of lot of money. Of course I'm a newbie at owning and modifying a turbo car. Is it faster? A bit, yeah. But I didn't expect huge gains. I got them in preparation for future ECU or boost control mods.

They make your turbos sound really mean though :)

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
I can promise you though I can here my turbo's spooling up, blow off valve...blowing...hmmm and air fliter sucking in the air....it just seems you can almost buy 2 turbos for this price......

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
2 turbos for $430? jeez doubt they'd be any good hahaha :D

I been in christians since he put the dump pipes on, he doesnt ahve an ear for it but i definately noticed a louder spooling sound right from when you touch the pedal you hear it kinda like in a diesel how it makes that sound, but then when you start making boost it really whistles like mine already does even without dump/front pipes

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
I am just interested if someone has gone from like 120kw to 130 or something like that from adding a full exhaust system......dumps back...

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
True $430 isn't a huge amount in the grand scheme of things, but when you're used to getting a front pipe for an S13/14/15 for about $100, or a dump AND front for about $180 or so, it seems pretty steep...

And I'm already on record about the cost of the intercooler kits these days.

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
That's the thing about these cars, I bought mine in part for the stealth factor but at the same time I want coverage/owners of VR4's so that mods steadily become cheaper. But you gotta remember Tim, SR20's have been around getting modified for AGES so it's no suprise that mods for them have become so cheap...every man and his dog produces parts for them. The 6A13TT on the other hand has not been a long running Mitsi engine, it's only every appeared briefly so you can't expect mods to be as plentiful.
In fact cheap mods and easy power gains are the only reason I would ever consider buying a Stagea over a Leggy, but I just couldn't stand the fugliness.
On topic, I've been thinking abouts installing the dumps as well so i'm also interested to see some feedback on results.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Yeah well aware of the reason for the difference in cost of parts, although I do suspect there's some opportunism going on as well. Not necessarily with the dumps, mind you, just in general.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
You make a good point with the i/c kit though Tim, i remember when i had my CA18 S13, the full kit i put on that 5 years ago was cheaper than what the VR4 kits are worth today! Same with the exhaust, i had a 2.5 into 3" s/s mandrel dump pipe with separate wastegate pipe, high flow cat, full 3' mandrel system and high flow canon for a grand! The RPW dump pipes seem a good price for whats out there, i recently got a price from a large exhaust/suspension shop where i live and he had a look and said at least $450
I apologize Kev for taking this a little off topic

G

Unregistered
I had already left feedback about these pipes here and on CVR4. The quality of the pipes are good and this has been commented on by a performance company in the UK. My initial run after fitting resulted in my boost increasing by 0.2 bar to 1.2 bar .This has been reduced now as I didn't want to risk the engine at that level. The car now picks up quicker from lower down and with the mods I have it definitly feels quicker.
In terms of cost in the UK we paid about ÂŁ240 including delivery and all taxes. The PS iida pipes cost around ÂŁ500 delivered and as they are almost identical there really is no comparison in what I would spend my money on.
We have a second group buy just about to finish for 20 pipes and if I hadn't been happy with them I wouldn't have started a second one.
I was surprised that the second group buy in Oz didn't really take off.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Well yeah it had been mentioned to me that the price is a little steep for what you get, but at the end of the day it was a price I'm happy to pay and whether or not it gives me huge gains, well, we'll have to see..

Either way I'll be happy with it I'm sure :)

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Well I may have to wait for the next group buy then.....

G

Unregistered
Are the dump pipes only compatible with the stock turbo's? Ie if in the end there is a nice bolt on turbo upgrade (I know there isn't one now but who knows in a year or so) are there going to have to be new dump pipes?

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Are the dump pipes only compatible with the stock turbo's? Ie if in the end there is a nice bolt on turbo upgrade (I know there isn't one now but who knows in a year or so) are there going to have to be new dump pipes?

The RPW pipes are downpipes/frontpipes, not dumps. If you get new turbos you'll no doubt need new dumps, and I guess you could get them fabricated to mate with the RPW downpipes. Not sure if you'd want bigger diameter though.

blkcar

Crunching Gears
First Name
lem
Drive
VR4 Galant
Heads up guys in the next issue of HPI or PI (they seemed to have dropped the "High" on the recent covers) #106 is the fabrication of the dump pipes etc. & in #107 will be the dyno results from the dump pipes.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Jesus, what a bunch of naggin old women. If any of you can get front pipes made locally for $430 then the guy will make a packet. in short you can't, there's a lot of time fabricating a set.

I picked up 50kw with the front pipes cooler and slight tirmming of mixures. The driveability is now very very good.
Simple if you can't afford it don't do it, if you're unsure find a guy with similar mods to yours but with front pipes and go for a drive, pretty simple stuff

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
Jesus, what a bunch of naggin old women. If any of you can get front pipes made locally for $430 then the guy will make a packet. in short you can't, there's a lot of time fabricating a set.

i can get them done cheaper,maybe $50 less,but thats by a friend and id rather just pay the extra because i know these are fine and everyone is happy with them,he then doesnt have to waste his time on making them and can spend it on making my intercooler pipes :)

unitl there are more on the market theyre going to be expensive full stop

G

Unregistered
The RPW pipes are downpipes/frontpipes, not dumps. If you get new turbos you'll no doubt need new dumps, and I guess you could get them fabricated to mate with the RPW downpipes. Not sure if you'd want bigger diameter though.

I guess that's what I was getting at, if your looking at turbo upgrades would it be better looking at a individual design? But then again at 2 1/2" they would probably suit just about any reasonable turbo setup.

Top Bottom