auto tranny cooler options.

G

Unregistered
Hi Guys.
Just a quick one on the subject of auto tranny coolers.
Can anyone advise on upgrading the cooler??? Can I install a cooler from a german brand like audi or bmw from a air con cooler. They run about 30cm wide and about 20cm tall with 2 pipe4s.
I guess that it should be simple enough to just use a bit of pipeing and plumb the new audi air con cooler straight in and as it is built for coolant to cool the air con it should be able to work wll to cool the auto tranny on the vr4 as both cooler run fluid inside.
Can anyone confirm as this is all I can buy in Kyrgyzstan and for under $15Aus so I cant complain about the price.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Nat-Rad quoted about $250-$320 for an auto-tranny cooler when I enquired about this a few months ago (fitted, replacing any lost fluid with correct ATF, etc).

Considering that the ATF is cooled by having a single pipe running through the radiator (tells you how hot the AT fluid runs if it's cooled by the contents of a radiator!), it is a good mod to do if you're in warm-hot climates or if you want to push it hard for track days.

Is there a problem if the ATF is gets too "cold" (below ideal operating temperatures)? I think I'll have to refer that to the other experts on here.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Is there a problem if the ATF is gets too "cold" (below ideal operating temperatures)? I think I'll have to refer that to the other experts on here.

I'm no expert, but I would say yes. My box is a little clunky when cold.. I think we might find that the 'cooler' actually works as a ATF 'warmer' on startup (at least until it reaches normal operating temperature). This is the reason why I wont be opting for any aftermarket cooler at the moment.

IF I lived in a much warmer climate (a few random 40+ days don't count), or if I was tracking the car, I'd possibly consider it.

** I was gonna add that if I were doing a lot of stop/start city driving that works the boxs hard I might also consider it. However, I'm unsure if a cooler in this situation would help at all. It's not like you'd have any cool air blowing over the system to remove heat. Would the stock setup be a better option in this situation perhaps?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
I'm no expert, but I would say yes. My box is a little clunky when cold.. I think we might find that the 'cooler' actually works as a ATF 'warmer' on startup (at least until it reaches normal operating temperature). This is the reason why I wont be opting for any aftermarket cooler at the moment.

IF I lived in a much warmer climate (a few random 40+ days don't count), or if I was tracking the car, I'd possibly consider it.

** I was gonna add that if I were doing a lot of stop/start city driving that works the boxs hard I might also consider it. However, I'm unsure if a cooler in this situation would help at all. It's not like you'd have any cool air blowing over the system to remove heat. Would the stock setup be a better option in this situation perhaps?

To ensure the normal operation, you could simply route the trans cooler in series with the existing pipe through the radiator, that way when it gets hot, it cools better, and when its cold, the radiator will still warm the fluid. Then you get the best of both worlds.. othwerwise some sort of thermostat would probably be required.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Lee, that is a good way to do it, have the two in series, so it gets cooled by the big cooler first, then goes through the bottom of the rad to be heated up or further cooled.

The other option is running it in parallel with a thermostat that opens at 90C or something and lets ATF run through the cooler and rad.

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
98 legnum type s, jzza70 supra
if you're going to run it in a series like lee suggests then you could put in a thermostat switch so that you use the standard radiator until the ATF gets to hot then it would go through the after market cooler (some people do this with engine oil coolers)

Top Bottom