AYC & ABS Issue

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
hey fellas, thought i'd pick the brains of the experienced vr4 owners out there (possibly NZ & UK Owners :D)

earlier today, I was driving along normally.. not 'spirited' driving.. my ABS amber light came on.. so I thought I'd pull over, turn off the engine and have a look at the fuse, just in case..

So I looked at it and it is fine.. so I went back into the car and started the motor then waited for the ABS amber light to go away.. which it did.. thank goodness..

Got home rested for about an hour then drove off to the city, again while driving another issue came on.. my red AYC light came on then 5 seconds later the ABS amber light came on.. so I pulled over and switched off the motor, this time unfortunately I couldn't go out since its kind of wet outside..

started the motor again and as usual the lights went off after the initial start of the motor..

same thing happened twice after driving through the highway then in normal roads that had several stop lights.. again, I was driving normally since I found out that there might be a possible big issue..

Before all these things that happened.. you'll find below the list of things that might have contributed to the issue.. but maybe it doesn't

1. I changed my park lights from normal bulbs to LED ones.. found out that the driver side park light doesn't work.. also noticed that the fuse was blown so i replaced it.. but after replacing it I noticed that the fuse was warm after installing it in there for about 5 minutes - engine was a little warm but not hot, since i had it rested for about 1 hour..

2. also replaced my rear brake lights to LED's as well.. all 4 of them.. I don't see any reason why this could affect it since it is working fine and had no blown fuse or what-so-ever..

3. last and possibly what caused it.. the day before, i had that 'spirited' driving moment cause i was running late to pick up my girlfriend.. i managed to get 2 bars up with the AYC.. no error lights on the dash that showed up after that..

other things to consider.. No, I haven't serviced my AYC, it is well overdue.. I've got the oil sitting at home and ready to be used.. just haven't had time to do it..

Mods - I'm not sure if I should've started a new thread or added this to the original AYC issue thread.. just move it if you folks prefer to..

hope someone here can help me minimize the 'spending' hehe..

TIA..

kiddyvr4

Crunching Gears
First Name
monty
Drive
VR4 Galant 1997
Ive had a similar problem with my AYC after changing my rear tail lights, the green AYC light would come on as soon as you started to take off and then after about 10sec the red AYC light would come on permanatly.

I took everywhere to get fixed and no one could figure it out (before this forum existed). After about 6 months and close to $1000 i went on holidays and the car battery went flat while i was away. Once i started it again the problem was solved:) .

Try disconecting the battery for 15 minuets or so and let the computer reboot and see how you go. You may be lucky...

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
weird.. Monty, what kind of lights did you replace it with? LED or normal bulbs?

kiddyvr4

Crunching Gears
First Name
monty
Drive
VR4 Galant 1997
Normal bulbs, i changed the whole tail light, i had to change the wireing because they came with the american pulgs. I guess i did a dodgy job and blew a fues or somthing.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
How does the AYC get affected by the rear light circuit?!

Very odd.

Unless it's something to do with ABS and the brake sensors?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
How does the AYC get affected by the rear light circuit?!

Very odd.

Unless it's something to do with ABS and the brake sensors?

that's what i was thinking too.. but i'll give it a whack..

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Now that's intriguing - sorry Chris, if my car had stayed on the road I would have been able to tell you more about this as I've upgraded every globe to LEDs. Interested to know how you get on...

Oh and stop spending so much time on bling when you haven't done the BASICS - get that AYC service done ASAP MAN!

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
thanks for the lecture Trev.. I know I've been slack.. I've checked my ayc fluid last night and it was definitely still looking new..

good news.. the AYC red light and ABS yellow light doesn't come on anymore.. thanks to Monty (KiddyVR4)

bad news.. since i've reset my ECU.. now I'm back to square one with my idling.. idle doesn't stay on 640rpm and just drops down then eventually stall.. not really good but I can manage.. im pretty sure this afternoon i'll be fine with it..

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
Go for a decent drive - I've reset the ECU in my Chaser and it did the same thing for the first 15-20 mins of driving until it re-learnt everything.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
thanks for the advice chef.. car's idling is now back to normal..

but the problem still is happening.. :( I might put replace the LED bulbs with conventional bulbs and see what happens.. wish me luck..

could it be possible that the ecu or ayc brain throws out the error light when it senses that there isn't much current going through the light bulbs for the rear lights?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Until I have a complete wiring diagram I couldn't say for sure, but logic would suggest that'd be a fairly stupid design...

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
hope it works out.. i know how down i get when shit goes wrong on my car (then again its now becoming kinda regular and less of a 'down' and more of a 'oops, there goes another one' feeling.. :p Take it to APC and get them to plug in to your ECU or something and see what the error is?

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
Are the warning lights only coming on when you hit the brakes? Or are they on when you start it up? Double check how much charge your battery has too.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
just an update with it... when i have my headlights switched off.. the only light that comes on is the ABS Amber light..

but when i have my headlights on.. the AYC red light comes on then about 5 seconds later the ABS amber light comes on...

WEIRD!!!

Are the warning lights only coming on when you hit the brakes? Or are they on when you start it up? Double check how much charge your battery has too.

it doesn't show up every time I press on the brake pedal or after pressing the pedal for a full stop.. after around 10km's of drive.. that's when it shows..

I'll try to get a video if and when I can.. also most probably I will try and get the error codes from the ECU when i get a chance...

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
cool.. ok then.. i'll see if we can this weekend.. :)

also.. my battery is constantly on 14.3v when motor's running :)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
There's info in the Data Logging thread and heaps more in a similar thread at ClubVR4. If you want a cheap cable do a search for OBD 2 or OBD II on eBay and just make sure you get the correct plug type. You'll need to connect Pins 1 and 4 for it to work, too - check the CVR4 thread for details.

Top Bottom