AYC Fault tonight... need insight.

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
Hey guy's, the only thing i was worried about happening after crashing my legnum, has happened...

Most of you know i crashed the legnum, through a gutter at about 80km/h, with the l/h/r wheel copping it, after accident, had noise and vibraion, replaced hub, noise gone vibration remained... put the vibration down to bent d/shaft, but as yet have not resolved problem (haven't put new shaft in yet), i always had a gut feeling what if its internal in the diff...???

Well, the ayc has been fine up until now, i drove in supermarket tonight, parked car no probs at all, did shopping, got back in car, started, all warning lights went out as normal, pulled out, car felt like h/brake was on (thought it was jammed ) , slipped clutch a bit more to move car, and a huge groan came from l/h/r of car ( same noise as dirty oil in clutch packs but VERY loud), as speed increased, so did groan, as did ayc lights (going straight at less than 5 km/h)

It felt like the l/h clutch packs were locked right up, as the car pulled left, whilst being in a straight line a less than 5 km/h???

I turned off car, restarted, and the problem dissapeared, and has n't reoccered???

Sorry for the recital, but iv'e heard of the common probs wih ayc, but have n't heard of anyhing like this before...

I put it down to the ayc computer having a "special moment" and locking the l/h clutch packs... has anyone else ever heard of anything like this, or have any ideas what it might have been / is ???

Cheers.Fred.

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
not as yet, but why would condition of fluid cause it to lock up on one side, as soon as car is started, then release when switched off/on again...???

G

Unregistered
crappy fluid and contaminated fluid can cause all sorts of grief,
including funny noises from and funny behaviour of the ayc.

when the car is started a AYC self check is preformed,
shitty fluid could contribute to errors.

its easy to change using the electronic ayc bleed guide,

you need 2l to change the ayc clutch pack fluid, and do a full ayc hydraulic bleed.
its just mitsi ATF (mmspIII) you can get it from mitsi parts cheap (its $55 for 5l here in NZ)

so for very little money and time you can eliminate the fluid as a problem.

also change that bent drive shaft, you wont be doing the diff or the bearings any good.
this is probably also contributing to your problems as the vibrations will be waring parts in the diff prematurely.

IMO you should be driving the car as little as possible (not at all if you can) when somethings wrong,
it will end up costing alot more than if you had just fixed/left it until is was fixed.

only reason i avoided a full rear diff rebuild when i broke it, was i took it home and didnt drive until i had found and fixed the problem.

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
cool..will be changing the AYC fluid and all other running gear oils when i replace the D/shaft (which is actually getting sent away to be re-manafactured ) haven't had any probs today, but a good service is in order, eispecially after the $$$ flashing in my eyes last night...

Top Bottom