AYC Red light on!

G

Unregistered
Hey,

Was driving to sydnet today...left bathurst about 6am...
was about 20 degrees at 8am.....then as soon as i got onto the freeway...well about 10kms on the m4 fomr the mountains..... the AYC red light turned on....checked the outside air temp and it jumped to 33 degress in half an hour.....

Car drives fine....

I stopped and turned the car off..waited 20 secs...turned back on...
started driving and then the light came back on about 1 km down the road again.....

Im just worried that im damaging it driving it while the light is on.....

Could this be anything to do with the heat? or just a coincidence?

I check other threds...just checking....anyone know the exact process to check for trouble codes....???

any help would be apprieciated!

oh the soecs of my car to help:

97 prefacelift

86,000km (unsure as to correct)

trip auto

new tyres...only 3 months old

cheers

G

Unregistered
Possibly the pump is getting a bit tired due to the heat and the pressure switch is not happy. A fix is to fit an adjustable switch as supplied by MPBVR4 on CVR4 but I'm sure he linked to one available in Oz on these forums somewhere

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Steve have you had your AYC serviced yet? First thing I'd do is bleed the system - if you have air in the hydraulic system it will cause problems for the pump and you'll see the red light. If you haven't done a full service yet, ask yourself why not and get it done!

Next probable cause is the pressure switch. Search is your friend.

In the mean-time, pull the AYC fuse out so you don't kill your pump (as I'm sure you'd rather not shell out $3k for a new one).

A fix is to fit an adjustable switch as supplied by MPBVR4 on CVR4 but I'm sure he linked to one available in Oz on these forums somewhere
There's info and a direct link in the Part Numbers Guide if you can't find it.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
if you haven't had your AYC serviced yet, i suggest you do it soon.. it'll save you lots of $$$ from AYC/Rear Diff repairs.. which costs alot..

servicing the AYC costs between $180 to $300 depending on which workshop is doing it and if they've done it before..

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
servicing the AYC costs between $180 to $300 depending on which workshop is doing it and if they've done it before..
Or about $50 and a couple of hours of your time if you're handy with a spanner. Its all very straight forward if you follow my guide.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Trev, yah I got your guide, i posted my reply just in case he didn't have time to do it himself or isn't spanner friendly.. :)

G

Unregistered
hey,

thanks for that. And yes, I am able to do things myself.

I am actually a mechanic by trade, so I am quite able to do things! :p

Time is the issue though :)

Will check the fuse, take it out for the time being, and check it out when I get home! By it does seem to be the pressure switch, as I think it is a direct link to the heat wave we just had! top of 39 degrees yesturday on the central coast!

AYC hasnt been serviced as far as I know, will look into getting that done!

Anyone know if you have to amsoil oil, or can u use a equivalent?

Cheers

G

Unregistered
good news...

today as it wasnt so hot.....the AYC light didnt light up at all and it functioned as it should. So it is most definetly the heat problem...looks like I better get the new switch then!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Good work Steve :)

RE lubricants, no you don't have to use Amsoil, but if you don't you should get the genuine Mitsubishi ATF SPIII as you need to use HFM (high-friction modified) ATF lubricant - other ATF SPIII compliant oils aren't HFM and will wear your diff out.

Top Bottom