Big brake upgrade

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Ahh interesting. Thanks for that Andy! I don't know much about the brand.

G

Unregistered
I had the GREX ALCON 4 pot 332mm on my galant....

one of the best mod in my car......

My friend had the AP Racing Pro 5000 in his galant.....i tried and it's good too....

if you are thinking of doing a big brake kit upgrade, i would suggest to get the good one....don't get the taiwan brand.......my suggestion would be ap racing, brembo, grex alcon, project mu....BBK upgrade definitely cost you money if you don't have it now just save it for later....dont just do a BBK upgrade just because u see a cheap BBK...

as for the brake pad, you dont have to worry you can custom made it.....just get a similiar and bigger pad....and just cut it and make the same size with the one u want....

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Hoffman, with your friend's AP Racing Pro 5000 brake set , does he have the series 1 or 2 Galant?

did he get the calipers mount custom made? also does he have the part number for that brake set?

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
I had the GREX ALCON 4 pot 332mm on my galant....

one of the best mod in my car......

My friend had the AP Racing Pro 5000 in his galant.....i tried and it's good too....

if you are thinking of doing a big brake kit upgrade, i would suggest to get the good one....don't get the taiwan brand.......my suggestion would be ap racing, brembo, grex alcon, project mu....BBK upgrade definitely cost you money if you don't have it now just save it for later....dont just do a BBK upgrade just because u see a cheap BBK...

as for the brake pad, you dont have to worry you can custom made it.....just get a similiar and bigger pad....and just cut it and make the same size with the one u want....

Agreed, I didn't know much about Ksport, except for seeing them everywhere, so I thought they were good. Now I know better ;) I have brembos to put on mine anyway :D

G

Unregistered
Hoffman, with your friend's AP Racing Pro 5000 brake set , does he have the series 1 or 2 Galant?

did he get the calipers mount custom made? also does he have the part number for that brake set?

what is the different between the galant type 1 or 2?

The ap racing is made for galant EC5A. No custom work or anything....plug and play.....

This is the ap racing pro 5000 brake kit for ec5a:
http://supergt.com.hk/shop/index.php?productID=292968

I wish I had this one. It's slight cheaper than my Alcon Grex and slightly bigger too. The down side is the color of the caliper only comes in black.

you can order it from website above. They also take international order. They have quite lots of stuff for galant and good pricing too. So far, I ordered their galant carbon evo bonnet and defi sets. I really recommended this store!

By the way i just found out that they have the MINE's ecu for galant ec5w....nice heh.... =)
http://supergt.com.hk/shop/index.php?productID=274694

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
thanks for the info Hoffman,

i had a look at that supergt site awhile ago, and asked for the price for the ec5a ap racing BBK.. they told me $5000 +postage.. didn't message them after that..

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Hoffman, the spacing for the bolt holes on the steering knuckle are different in the series 1 and 2, 130mm for series 1 and 160mm for series 2. So they'll need different brackets.

G

Unregistered
Paul: So which year is the series 1 and which year is the series 2? Mine is galant year 2000 same with my friend who has the AP racing pro 5000.

Christiandel: The AP racing pro 5000 is 26xx USD + shipping....

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
96-early 98 is Series 1 (or Pre-Facelift) and late 98-2002 is Series 2 (or Facelift).

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
fellas.. just bumping this up..

just a repeat for verification.. can we fit our front brake setup with 6G VR4's hub carrier?! also I know that the 6G's got 4 bolt.. so the rotors needs redrilling..

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Chris why in the WORLD would you use a 4 bolt hub on a VR4?? Especially when we know we can use a USDM Eclipse hub, and they're cheap! ??? :confused:

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Perhaps he's fitting his stock brakes to a 6G VR4? :confused:

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Alright, i know this is an old thread but Ive been searching for hours, What i want to know is:

What all round brake kits are available that arent ridiculously expensive?
I know there are EVO brembos but what else is there?
I'm not going to be racing it every weekend but definitely want better stopping power.

I don't want to just upgrade the front and have tacky stock ones on the back. If I'm upgrading power I want to upgrade stopping power too, front and back, and i know the physics involved in braking, that 80% is done by the front but if I'm upgrading the front I want to do the rear too.

Thanks in advance guys.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
As you have a facelift then you are nuts to try and do anything other than brembo's on a budget. Any other set will cost you more and won't bolt on.

G

Unregistered
^^ Agreed, if you are looking to replace your rotors and calipers, then the Evo Brembo's are definitely the way to go. They've been around for years so there's heaps of parts for them, and they bolt straight up. If you are looking at other kits though, look at brands like Project-Mu, AP Racing, Endless etc, but be sure to have a spare $4k+

Saying that though, the std brakes aren't bad by any means, people have seen very good improvements in just changing the std rotors and pads.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
^^ Was there any concern Paul over the clearence of the Nissan 4pots? Caliper to wheel i mean.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
As you have a facelift then you are nuts to try and do anything other than brembo's on a budget. Any other set will cost you more and won't bolt on.

Hmmm, I was just thinking, with what seems like soo many people having problems with the Brembos making noise I thought it might have been worth paying a little extra and getting something else new. So the best option for an all round kit is still the Brembos?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Better pads and rotors + quality fluid

OR

Brembo's

You won't walk away with change from $1500 for either.... I guess its just a personal preference to which you want :)

Top Bottom