blowing belts continuously

G

Unregistered
helloo..

tnite i just blew the 5th belt in the last 8 months. power steering/ac belt i think but not sure. have had custom pulley made up for it nd didnt blow for a bout 4 months then just did tday. could it be out of alignment or sumthing.

whats wrong nd why does it keen hapening? has anyone else had a same problem.

thankyou.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Beau can you provide photos of the busted belts? It may help in diagnosis.

If anything's misaligned the belt may be jumping the pulley and being chewed to pieces against something, or might be going the other way and torn apart by the other belt. If it's too tight or even too loose it will snap as well.

G

Unregistered
will take fotos tomoro wen its lighter nd not night lol. but yeh seems to been jumping off to the left everytime nd being cut up by sumthing in the higher revs.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
I am still at a loss as to why people use sms type short hand when posting within this forum, very frustrating
Beau, what brand of belt are you using when replacing the "blown" ones?
+1 for what Trev said re the misalignment.

G

Unregistered
hahah sorry just habit with the lazy text lol. yeh i suspect the belts theyre putting on are crap, so il ask to check alignment nd put back on the factory brand belt or another brand i spose. cheerz

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Common problem with FTOs. Mine used to do it a bit. I think it was a prob with the air con dealie...

G

Unregistered
yeh well getting geniune belt put on monday so hopefully that wont jump off again. also alignment is fine possibly just shitty belts they keep putting on lol. pitty i cant cut it as i spose it runs alternator nd power steering. bummer

G

Unregistered
Does anywone know where i can get a genuine Mitsubishi a/c, p/s Belt. cant seen to find one for my vr4,

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
Just get a dayco one. If the alignment is correct it should last without any problems. I wouldn't bother fitting a new belt until I worked out what was going on with the pulleys, but thats just my 5c worth. With grooved belts they shouldn't have any issues unless the pulley are out of alignment.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
It will be a problem with the pulleys or what they're attached to, not the belts.

G

Unregistered
no worries, although aparently pulleys are all in alignment. mechanics recon the belts just stretching and gettin thrown of unlike the genuine which aparently doesnt stretch as much. makes me wonder though being about the 4th or so belt ive gone throu in the last year,

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
I replaced mine about 6 months ago and had to re adjust after about a month to tighten a little after stretching from new. Stopped the squeeling and no trouble since.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Does anywone know where i can get a genuine Mitsubishi a/c, p/s Belt. cant seen to find one for my vr4,

Mitsi aus should have them. I know the mitsi dealer near me had access to em, albeit heaps more than ralliart NZ

Ck/evo/v6

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Javesh
Drive
Ck Evo Conversion
hi sorry for bringing up an old post...i currently have an issue with my car shredding both belts. we checked for alignment and everything looks good. i changed the crank pulley alternator tensioner pulley and same issue. so what i did was just installed the alternator belt and realised that it wasnt bursting. So seems its the power steering area bursting causing the issue. can anyone tell me what it can be. thanks

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
hi sorry for bringing up an old post...i currently have an issue with my car shredding both belts. we checked for alignment and everything looks good. i changed the crank pulley alternator tensioner pulley and same issue. so what i did was just installed the alternator belt and realised that it wasnt bursting. So seems its the power steering area bursting causing the issue. can anyone tell me what it can be. thanks

I'd say, remove the belts. see which pulley's got the most tension. I reckon that'll be the culprit

Crank Pulley is not included in this troubleshooting

Ck/evo/v6

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Javesh
Drive
Ck Evo Conversion
hey sorry for the late reply it seems that the power steering belt is causing the issue. Is it normal for the power steering pulley to have an inside outside movement?
I'd say, remove the belts. see which pulley's got the most tension. I reckon that'll be the culprit

Crank Pulley is not included in this troubleshooting

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
hey sorry for the late reply it seems that the power steering belt is causing the issue. Is it normal for the power steering pulley to have an inside outside movement?
it shouldn't

what's the chances that it's wobbling?

Top Bottom