bolt on turbo upgrades?

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at buying a legnum - have put a deposit down, but the tuner who tuned car says to get more out of it will need hi flowed turbos and quoted $1k per turbo to do that work (no including presumable re tuning the car)

so I was wondering - are there any vaguely bolt on turbos that will fit, are cheap secondhand and are enough of an upgrade to get another 20KWATW?

I recall on my old car (a tx3 turbo awd) you sould create a hybrid turboe using your original echaust housing and wheel, but using the intake side housing and wheel from a subaru liberty.

Regards,
S

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
polar-bear-face-palm_thumbnail.jpg

First,

CLICK ME

^
use this

then after you clicked above:

go to advanced search, type in (turbo upgrade*) and search in the performance forum, i even did it for you

http://ozvr4.com/forums/search.php?searchid=375281

no less then 9 useful threads in there!

surprised_baby_2.jpg
OMG!

and, if u want another 20kw, get turbo back 3" exhaust, full metal intercooler pipes and intake pipes and a aftermarket computer or afc

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Wow this post went crazy lol

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Dude, you don't need diff turbo's to get an extra 20awKW. your tuner sounds heaps smartzzzz

front mount, exhaust. boost, safc or piggy back.

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
car has a fujitsubo (i think) exhaust, avcr (14PSI) and safc( roughly 12afr) though it could probably do with a better intercooler. Also has a pretty crappy pod filter.

on a car with those mods what should I look at in an attempt to make more power (in as driveable as possible a way) ?

to the second poster - didn't see any mention of people talking about hybrid turbos which were the way to get things done on my previous car...

i.e. on a tx3 awd turbu you can keep the stock tx3 exhaust side (though you may want to port the wastegate) and mate it with the compressor side of the turbo off an early 90's liberty RS and that gave really useable but definitely more power so I was wondering whether anyone here has tried a similar thing?

Also has anyone done supercharger conversions with much success?

Regards,
S

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
That car has a Greddy cooler.. About $1400 worth with piping too..

Forget turbo upgrades for now, you will get around 200kw with good mods and a tune.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
well your lack of information didnt help

i originally came from lancers and the lancer forums where every second thread was "how do i do a turbo conversion?" so hense my massive sarcastic post

get your FMIC and FMIC/exhaust pipiing sorted, mount the pod some distance from your MAF, SAFC or computer, injectors

maybe hiflo your stock turbos?

other wise talk to madhav, twin kkr280's, 260kw at all fours through an auto box. thats pushin 350/400ish kw @ fly

PS: with our vr4's (and modified ones more so) they hav extremly short ratios and boost builds from roughly 2500-3000rpm, so comin from your tx3 itll be more then enough for a lil while (im not dissin your tx3 btw, but vr4's do hav some quick ass acceleration)

hope this post was more informative :)

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
I truly wish there were a bolt on turbo upgrade... I guess if enough people try and experiment there eventually will be but for now you need a decent engineer, money and a lot of time if u wanna take it on.

So yeah aim for 200kw atw on standard turbos, do all ur supporting mods and if u still want more, start saving for either a big single or a couple of mid sized twins.

P.s. Our stock turbos can't really be high flowed as they so small already there is not much to work with.

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
Thanks guys,

I guess to be honest it's not really what I was hoping to hear...
I'm hoping to not have to go through all of the mods in madhavs kkr280 convers, though to be honest this is meant to be my baby (whichever leggy I end up getting) and I may look into doing that.

I read that you relocated the oil filter amongst the miscellaneous work - how did that go/ what did you have to do?

at unclepaulie - yeah I know the feeling with tools and turbo threads - fordlaser.com was like that also

There's a link to the carsales page for the car I'm looking at in the vic region area something along the lines of "needs opinions/help me"

how much can one get a standard intake for?

also has anyone considered doing a supercharger turbocharger combo like some rotary nuts do?

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
My turbos were only a few mm too big which unfortunetly forced the relocation. Embleton engineering in myaree has a template so he can make one up a kit in no time based on my old one.... you also need to think about the plumming side of it. Either that or choose slightly smaller more efficient turbos (aka more $$) like a Garret ball bearing or something else... The choice is only limited to ur imagination. Some the the turbos they use on the subies can work also...

Don't be dismayed though as once it's up and running not only is it so much fun dusting almost every other car on the road in ur 'family wagon' it also inspires others to explore turbo upgrades and makes it easier for everyone.

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
no probs madhav - will try to not get discouraged

thanks for the input guys great to see a friendly forum:cool:

montgomery

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris
Drive
Mazda Familia GTR
If you want custom manifolds speak to BRAEFABRICATIONS on here.

He will do anything for ya.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
also, hav a squiz round the skyline forums for gtr n1 turbos or some hks gt25XX, theyre a small turbo and pack one wallop of punch. your wallet will hate you tho :( haha

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Yeah they would be simply awesome!!!!

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
that thread was a great read!

looks like vf28's are goer, but I wonder how much modification ultimately would be required to get them on car...

does anyone know if there are any good garrett's that are affordable for this situation?

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Stuart, one thing to keep in mind that not many people on here have yet attempted any turbo upgrades, so don't be surprised by the lack of volume in response.

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
It may also be down to the fact that these cars are excellent street cars with the stock turbos that not many people have bothered attempting it. These little baby TD03's are amazingly responsive, Madhav went down the right road (after much hard work) but any bigger turbos would spoil how the car is supposed to perform i reckon. A single turbo would be interesting but still has a great potential of destroying the overall drivability of these cars, and saying hello to our buddy lag would be almost a definite. I dunno about you guys but i think it's damn fun to blast away from the lights with next to no lag at all and watch a highly modded big turbo car in the next lane flounder away waiting for his car to actually develop some power, and when they do they're already at the next set of lights or totally over the speed limit just baiting the cops. :p

Top Bottom