jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Thanks for all the input guys.

I'm going to catch up with a guy from Skylines Australia on wednesday, he's selling a pair from a VSPECII for $500.
20k on standard boost and no shaft play.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!

I'm going to catch up with a guy from Skylines Australia on wednesday, he's selling a pair from a VSPECII for $500.

$500 for both? If so that's a great price.

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum

What happened to the GT2554R's you were talking about in the other thread ?

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Probably the price difference happened. HAHAHA

I know I'd just grab these(assuming info is correct) over new Garretts.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
What happened to the GT2554R's you were talking about in the other thread ?

Im not sure if you got me mixed with someone else but the only other turbo I was looking at was the Garrett GT2560R which is the T28.

Yeah a brand new unit costs about $1280 so i'll check out these R34 ones first.

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Im not sure if you got me mixed with someone else but the only other turbo I was looking at was the Garrett GT2560R which is the T28.

Yeah a brand new unit costs about $1280 so i'll check out these R34 ones first.

Yeah sorry you said GT25's in the thread, someone else mentioned GT2554's.... My mistake...

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6363

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Hi everyone, been a long time since i've been on here, so hi. :)

I've written this before but thought it'd be a good time again in this thread.

Do your research, Garrett have a great website that has a lot of good info. This link lists all their medium frame turbo's http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/products/turbochargers.html

Any nissan turbo be it from a 32, 33 or 34 run ceramic turbine wheels yes even the Vspec. N1's were for racing and have steel wheels. In short don't run them >14psi as they are getting old & have a habit of failing at/above that boost level.

In short the -7's are rated at 310 and are similar to N1's ( I have N1's on my current RB26)
-9's are 330
-5's are 360 and what i have on my new RB26/30 engine.

There are some 2560s still getting around and rated at 330. they are the same as the -9's just an old naming convention from Garrett.
There is also a 2556 which is rated at 270hp and this is what i'd go for with the EC5W engine.

You need to decide where in the rev range you want the power. More power means less response ALWAYS's. For 99.9% of member's here, the 2556 would be more suitable that the other's above. I wouldn't be pushing the engine above 400hp as the rods are the limiting factor, they have very little metal around the big end and don't inspire me much confidence.

Remember that changing the turbo's will mean bigger injectors, a fuel pump with more flow, potentially a different fuel rail and some sort of aftermarket ECU and pipe work be it intercooler and exhaust & tuning. Big dollars really.

Hope that helps, good luck.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Your right Simon, I went and checked out those R34 turbos but didn't buy them.

I went to a Garrett supplier today and spoke to them about a turbo upgrade and they told me to stay away from skyline turbos! They recomended me the GT2560r. Lots of power on tap and spools up quick to. These units are Ball Bearing, steel wheel not ceramic and can punch out 300-330 HP.

Now all I have to do is start saving.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Remember that changing the turbo's will mean bigger injectors, a fuel pump with more flow, potentially a different fuel rail and some sort of aftermarket ECU and pipe work be it intercooler and exhaust & tuning. Big dollars really.

Indeed - any turbo upgrade has to be weighed up against the option of selling your VR4, importing an Evo 5 and buying a proper bolt on kit for it... I'd venture to say that could potentially be a better option financially.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Your right Simon, I went and checked out those R34 turbos but didn't buy them.

I went to a Garrett supplier today and spoke to them about a turbo upgrade and they told me to stay away from skyline turbos! They recomended me the GT2560r. Lots of power on tap and spools up quick to. These units are Ball Bearing, steel wheel not ceramic and can punch out 300-330 HP.

Now all I have to do is start saving.

Of course Im right :p

Hope it goes well with you saving, I just paid for my -5's today, now off to ceramic coat all the exhaust bit's n pieces.

I reckon the 2556 would be ideal, the hard part is to convince yourself that you don't need Sh*tloads of power and practically you need it somewhere in the rev range that you're going to use 95% of the time- but that's totally up to you.

I'll be interested to see who mans up first for some garrett action:drool:

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
Well until I fix and pay off my happy gearbox problems I think I'm out of the power race temporarily :sad:

I'm enjoying this thread - 2556 seems like it might be a winner

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
There is a turbo guy next door to Meek Automotive in Sydney looking at up grading the wheel housed in the cast iron part before the turbo (if that makes sense). I'll be going back there in 2-3 weeks so i'll keep you posted

scientist

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Edmund Robinson
Drive
1989 Galant VR4
Hi everyone, been a long time since i've been on here, so hi. :)

I've written this before but thought it'd be a good time again in this thread.

Do your research, Garrett have a great website that has a lot of good info. This link lists all their medium frame turbo's http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/products/turbochargers.html

Any nissan turbo be it from a 32, 33 or 34 run ceramic turbine wheels yes even the Vspec. N1's were for racing and have steel wheels. In short don't run them >14psi as they are getting old & have a habit of failing at/above that boost level.

In short the -7's are rated at 310 and are similar to N1's ( I have N1's on my current RB26)
-9's are 330
-5's are 360 and what i have on my new RB26/30 engine.

There are some 2560s still getting around and rated at 330. they are the same as the -9's just an old naming convention from Garrett.
There is also a 2556 which is rated at 270hp and this is what i'd go for with the EC5W engine.

You need to decide where in the rev range you want the power. More power means less response ALWAYS's. For 99.9% of member's here, the 2556 would be more suitable that the other's above. I wouldn't be pushing the engine above 400hp as the rods are the limiting factor, they have very little metal around the big end and don't inspire me much confidence.

Hope that helps, good luck.

I was trying to explain that to someone on another VR4 forum...I was also recommending them to stay away from the ball bearing IHI turbos since they are also fragile

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Went past Garrett again to get a look at different turbo sizes(housing not HP)

The GT 2560R is a great turbo but even with full custom manifolds I think it would be very difficult to fit these into a VR4 engine bay.

Next box he opened was the GT2554 not 2556. These are rated at 270HP (at flywheel) and are abit smaller in size than the GT2560R. I think with custom manifolds or maybe an adapter plate this turbo will fit in nicely.

Cost of the turbos is about $1300 each but they can do a better price if you're buying a pair with cash.

BRAEFABRICATION a member of this site can make custom manifolds or adapter plates. He will be doing mine once I get the turbos.

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
BRAEFABRICATION a member of this site can make custom manifolds or adapter plates. He will be doing mine once I get the turbos.

Me thinks he will be making a template for all of us.(y)

I have not heard of the GT2556R, nor do Honeywell-Garrett have it on their website. Sure you didn't mean the GT2554R ????

Top Bottom