bolt on turbo upgrades?

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Well just read madhav's upgraded turbo thread and it said SFA about gt25's man "alot of this was covered" my ass, hence why this thread is about upgrading turbos not "refer to madhavs upgrade for upgrading turbos"...waste of 2 hours that was.........:wanker:

Tim,

Madhav's KKR280's are a slightly larger in size to the GT2554R's which is why Simon directed you to the turbo upgrade thread as there is very detailed info on how he got them to fit.
Please ease up on the aggression, and I would hope you weren't aiming the :wanker: at Simon.

Josh

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
i was considering a single conversion but its going to not happen like i thought it would now...

Best you don't anyway. From what I have read you get better overall performance with two turbo on a V engine. However you have to evaluate the size you need and for what application. The reasoning behind this is that heated exhaust gases tend to flow better than cooler gases, thus the closer to the exhaust ports you get the better the turbo will respond.

I am not saying that single are a bad Idea but they are easier to apply to a straight engine rather than a bent one. :D

The GT2554 is still a larger turbo compared to what you have now. Your turbo is the equivalent of a Small Frame Garrett turbo and you are looking at a Medium Frame design.

What they do have going for them are the Ball Bearing Cartridges. The turbo will respond faster and spin up more efficiently at lower flow/pressure rates.

If you go to The Honeywell-Garrett site and look at the Catalogue you can see that once the BallBearing turbos come into play the minimum displacement recommendation becomes less.

So I guess if you want a fast spooling Ballbearing turbo with a bit of drivability these are really the only option as they are the smallest they make.

Alternatively you could customise a smaller body turbo and replace the Journal bearing with a BB cartridge, I've heard some GTR guys have managed this.

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Tim,

Madhav's KKR280's are a slightly larger in size to the GT2554R's which is why Simon directed you to the turbo upgrade thread as there is very detailed info on how he got them to fit.
Please ease up on the aggression, and I would hope you weren't aiming the :wanker: at Simon.

Josh

Mr moderator Joshua the symbol was basically a representation of the wild goose chase i was sent on in the quest to gain some insight in respect to the GT25's which didnt provide me with wat was implied would, aggression is not a virtue of mine but wasting my time is not fair especially if.....nevermind i doesnt matter anyway :tongue_smilie:

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
No probs Tim... hope things work out with your turbo mods. :)

Me 2 bro......the company that can provide me with the best priced 25's gets my business :D

Guys have used scooby turbos, big singles, madhav used KKR's so its time for someone to step outta the comfort and try the GT25's......

Have spent days and days searching both vr4 forums and every post containing the word GT2554R and still havent found someone to use them yet, fingers crossed......

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Me 2 bro......the company that can provide me with the best priced 25's gets my business :D

Guys have used scooby turbos, big singles, madhav used KKR's so its time for someone to step outta the comfort and try the GT25's......

Have spent days and days searching both vr4 forums and every post containing the word GT2554R and still havent found someone to use them yet, fingers crossed......

Dude, i sent you to Madhav's page as that's where i thought i gave him the pro's for the 2554, that was some time ago, although i called it a 2556- finger problem.

As far as this forum goes, no one has used the 2554. Its' my recommendation though and was to Madhav, although they were a lot more expensive that what he went with.

While we are on it. People go on about how ball bearing turbos spool faster and are more reliable. This can't be supported by anyone and is an assertion that's handed down of forums. Talk to any turbo place be it GCG, Turbo Logic etc and they'll tell bb are not necessarily better than journal style. At best there may be 5% in the spool rate compared to a journal type and that's virtually nothing. On similarly desgined turbo's it's virtually nothing.
For eg Trust TD05 and HKS 2530, yes they're for GTR's but the fact remains the reponse from both is virtualy identical with the old plain bearing TD05 going on to outperform the HKS is in top end as well.

When BB turbo's fail, they generally end up failing in a big way. To fix a bb turbo often costs almost the price of the turbo. I know i've done it twice in 14months.
Plain bearing can be repaired at a fraction of the cost. BB re great but you really have to keep the water up to them as if that's reduced they'll expire...yes one of mine.

As i've said many times on this forum, stay away from GTR turbo's they're too big won't fit, plus they have different bolt patterns for everything and will leave a very big power gap until they come on boost, by that stage a standard turbo equipped car will have disappeared into the distance;)

I didn't send you on a wild goose chase, at least you learnt something for yourself:LOL:

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Regarding the size of GTR turbos, aren't they the same overall shape and layout as a GT2554R?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Yes brad they are the same overall shape however differ in dimensions in compressor/turbine dimensions between bolts etc.
Something i just saw that really surprises me is there is another turbo on offer same output as the 2554 and using the same core number but different ex trim is a 2854
Its turbine entry is bigger than the -5's i have on my GTR. I actually had to port match the entry as exhaust gas was seeing a flat plate- not something conducive to flow or power.
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT28/GT2854R_471171_9.htm

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Dude, i sent you to Madhav's page as that's where i thought i gave him the pro's for the 2554, that was some time ago, although i called it a 2556- finger problem.

As far as this forum goes, no one has used the 2554. Its' my recommendation though and was to Madhav, although they were a lot more expensive that what he went with.

While we are on it. People go on about how ball bearing turbos spool faster and are more reliable. This can't be supported by anyone and is an assertion that's handed down of forums. Talk to any turbo place be it GCG, Turbo Logic etc and they'll tell bb are not necessarily better than journal style. At best there may be 5% in the spool rate compared to a journal type and that's virtually nothing. On similarly desgined turbo's it's virtually nothing.
For eg Trust TD05 and HKS 2530, yes they're for GTR's but the fact remains the reponse from both is virtualy identical with the old plain bearing TD05 going on to outperform the HKS is in top end as well.

When BB turbo's fail, they generally end up failing in a big way. To fix a bb turbo often costs almost the price of the turbo. I know i've done it twice in 14months.
Plain bearing can be repaired at a fraction of the cost. BB re great but you really have to keep the water up to them as if that's reduced they'll expire...yes one of mine.

As i've said many times on this forum, stay away from GTR turbo's they're too big won't fit, plus they have different bolt patterns for everything and will leave a very big power gap until they come on boost, by that stage a standard turbo equipped car will have disappeared into the distance;)

I didn't send you on a wild goose chase, at least you learnt something for yourself:LOL:

Thanks for that info simon......ive read madhavs post before, and the gt2554's are expensive ive been quoted $2800 for 2 so far and thats the best price as of yet :eek:hmy: These other ones you've posted sound interesting though hmmmmmmm

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
$2800 is pretty good for what is not a commonly produced item. I paid ~$2500 for my -5's and Garrett can't make enough of them at the moment.

I've not seen the 2854 previously, although i haven't been looking either. I suspect it would come on a little later and have slightly more top end however the flow chart doesn't support this. 8mm larger exhaust wheel is a massive increase in flow potential, however it would still stick with the 2554 It would come on sooner and have better response and overall be a nicer car to drive.

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
$2800 is pretty good for what is not a commonly produced item. I paid ~$2500 for my -5's and Garrett can't make enough of them at the moment.

just got quoted $1077 + GST.....Hoping it'll be less at trade :rolleyes:

Thats one step in the right direction....

Been thinkin bout what u said about a BB failing and costing an arm and both legs to replace compared to a Bushing type arrangement like the td04 which is a fraction of the price to replace ect........ Still unsure which way to go at this stage...

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Kkr 280's are about $500 each trade prices, cheapest I saw. TD04's u can get for $150 with sub 50k km on them via perth wrx forum. U can check my dyno chart to see when I hit boost.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
just got quoted $1077 + GST.....Hoping it'll be less at trade :rolleyes:

Thats one step in the right direction....

1077 total or each?

Been thinkin bout what u said about a BB failing and costing an arm and both legs to replace compared to a Bushing type arrangement like the td04 which is a fraction of the price to replace ect........ Still unsure which way to go at this stage...

Can't help with that one, but i'd get a serious oil cooler with that set up.

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
1077 total or each?

Can't help with that one, but i'd get a serious oil cooler with that set up.

LOL i wish that was for 2!!! Thats each minus GST from over east + $45 for P&H... still a fair whack come to think about it but its still app $500 less than other quotes...trying to see what i can get them for at trade shall be interesting comparison...

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Kkr 280's are about $500 each trade prices, cheapest I saw. TD04's u can get for $150 with sub 50k km on them via perth wrx forum. U can check my dyno chart to see when I hit boost.

This I realise which is why I PM'd you to find out where you got em from as im having a lot of trouble trying to source some....Dont want to get 2nd handies from a wrx wrecker if i can help it

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Tim shop around for the Garretts. I got my GT2554 for $1100 from a Garrett supplier in Melbourne. That was wholesale price but you can get them for about $1230.
There is even a guy on ebay selling them for about $1200.

The KKR's are ok for there price but the Garretts are BB and are much more reliable.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
note thats generic.. as in you get a few random pipes, a turbo, etc. not to mention the turbo's brand is "JDM'S"

i wouldnt do it, or concider it.. you'd be far better off just buying a turbo on its own if you wanted to go that path, and just spend a bit to get pipes made and buy the extra pieces seperately - cause you'll have to do that regardless.

Top Bottom