bolt on turbo upgrades?

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Great post Simon, ive always been sceptical of these safe tunes myself. I now understand it a little better and am still sceptical of them lol.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Madhav- I was merely commenting on the "safe tune" statement. The tuner is everything. So many people spend lot of time and $$ on the engine and then go a tuner who can tune the management system the car owner decided to use. I'm not convinced people spend anywhere near the time they should to find out about the tuner.
I've been lucky in a sense, i got a great guy when i was in Perth and he recommended my current guy, who i've been with for almost 5 years now. I've my 2 car's tuned by him and the 3rd is nearing completion and that will be going there as well.

Matt- happy, hope its useful :)

Again, i was just trying to get people to think a little ;)

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
I agree Simon, I have been looking around Victoria for the last 6 months trying to find a good tuner to tune my car when I install the garretts.

I finally found G&D PERFORMANCE in Dandenong. Their workshop has both a rear wheel and 4WD dyno and they have 30 years experience in the forced induction scene.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Madhav- I was merely commenting on the "safe tune" statement. The tuner is everything. So many people spend lot of time and $$ on the engine and then go a tuner who can tune the management system the car owner decided to use. I'm not convinced people spend anywhere near the time they should to find out about the tuner.
I've been lucky in a sense, i got a great guy when i was in Perth and he recommended my current guy, who i've been with for almost 5 years now. I've my 2 car's tuned by him and the 3rd is nearing completion and that will be going there as well.

Matt- happy, hope its useful :)

Again, i was just trying to get people to think a little ;)

Any recommendations for decent tuner here in Perth? I was recommended allstar garage, from a very fussy drifter who is reluctant to let anyone touch his car.

G

Unregistered
I'll also recommend Allstar, heard nothing but great things from them. I haven't had any work done their myself (but hope to in the near future) but from word of mouth plus the work they did on my brother old Evo VI, they are very good.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Any recommendations for decent tuner here in Perth? I was recommended allstar garage, from a very fussy drifter who is reluctant to let anyone touch his car.

Yep, although if you saw hipsi and i talking in my thread last week you'll see i'm trying to find his wareabouts.

If you can find him and he's near a dyno then get Glen "Lumpy" Campbell. Just a veritable sh*tload of knowledge about anything. He was the Autronic distributor in Perth a little while ago and also tried Ray Halls Vipec for him before it was released to the market.

I actually have Mitchy in Perth (banned on here) looking for me...

There are other south of the river there but after talking to them i really wasn't impressed with anything they said. Lumpy is the man:D

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum

I haven't been in perth for almost 4 years now, i haven't heard of them sorry.
Lumpy used be 1/2 of Hyperdrive in Malaga but he left for reasons i won't get myself into trouble on here mentioning, so don't ask.
More recently, he also built and engineered Adam "Borneo"Trewellha's Ceffy. He actually used idea's from my car in the Ceffy ;)

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Ok mate, thanks for the input, if you or mitch happen to find his whereabouts please do let me know. I did a search and couldn't find much except links to hyperdrive in malaga.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Yep that's what i did as well but no luck. I'll let you know

Rob- good work mate, sounds like they know their stuff :)

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
Thread resurrected! Didn't wanna' start a new "Turbo Thread" so here goes.

What do people think about putting GT-R turbos on the Legnum. Made specifically for a 2.6L engine spool up should be good and they are obviously bigger then our little TD03s. They can be picked up nice and cheaply these days and it's not hard to slap some N1 turbines in them for greater top end HP.

A good reasonably priced upgrade? What sort of numbers do you think we'd see out of them?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Thread resurrected! Didn't wanna' start a new "Turbo Thread" so here goes.

What do people think about putting GT-R turbos on the Legnum. Made specifically for a 2.6L engine spool up should be good and they are obviously bigger then our little TD03s. They can be picked up nice and cheaply these days and it's not hard to slap some N1 turbines in them for greater top end HP.

A good reasonably priced upgrade? What sort of numbers do you think we'd see out of them?

from what I heard.. dont bother with the stock GTR or GT-T, GTS turbos unless they're the model out of the N1's

and I thought the GTR turbo's are identical to the GT2554's?!

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
i thought we'd covered this recently in a number of threads...
Look for my comments i Jet150's thread

Yo_Mang

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Blake
Drive
2002 Mitsubishi Legnum
Maybe it's a noobish thing to say, but couldn't you use the flange from the original tubo, cut it off and just make an adapter plate up? Like this:

IMG_1119-500.jpg

The only problem I see with this would be fouling issues but I'm not sure how close everything is etc. Surely a machine shop or fabricator could make them up easy?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
There really isn't enough room for that. People have managed to fit Subaru TD04's onto the stock manifolds but for any turbos other than that you'll hit something if you use adapter plates

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
The turbos I fitted used an adaptor plate, in reality it doesn't have to be more than a few mm depth... I saw it with my own eyes.

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
A few mm? surely you need more room than a few mm to fit nuts and bolts in etc with enough thread showing.....

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
It was welded on from memory. It wasn't very thick, bogan bob has it now, he could post some pics.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Madhav had adapter plates for his KKRs, I imagine they looked something like whats pictures above

nvm im to slow

Top Bottom