bolt on turbo upgrades?

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
from what I heard.. dont bother with the stock GTR or GT-T, GTS turbos unless they're the model out of the N1's

and I thought the GTR turbo's are identical to the GT2554's?!

Some dude in Russia put N1 turbos on his vr4, there is a dyno shot, but no boost pressure vs rpm. Check here

Tophler

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
1999 VR4 FL Legnum w recaro and momo
Couldn't see a post regarding this, is there a turbo that is basically a ball bearing version of the stock turbo? No exhaust manifolds or anything, literally a direct swap. Any experience with this or do I just get a replacement stock turbo

chocco

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Christian
Drive
1999 FL Galant VR4 with MMCS
No such thing as a replacement...

Dig deep if you wanna change the stock turbos

Tophler

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
just after something that wont detonate under the bonnet but still maintains the stock boost and all the other characteristics. Thanks for the info though

chocco

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Christian
Drive
1999 FL Galant VR4 with MMCS
Dont be mistaken by mitsubitshi turbos lol they are a decent unit and work well given
the fact they are small and in a tight place. They are designed for the car and do respond
very well with some mods to extract more power.

If your after something more friendly to work on, swap turbos when you wish, do this and
do that without hurting the bank account...the vr4 was a bad choice for you.

Tophler

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
No I do like the vr4 I've just heard bad things about ceramic turbos detonating on high boost. I know I know keep the boost low but even still is there a chance they will explode? I've heard either replace or rebuild them after 100,000

Schneider

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
PFL Legnum Vr4
No I do like the vr4 I've just heard bad things about ceramic turbos detonating on high boost. I know I know keep the boost low but even still is there a chance they will explode? I've heard either replace or rebuild them after 100,000

Huh? Who's telling you this? Our TD03's have a steel turbine wheel not a ceramic wheel. I think your sources are confusing a Legnum with a M35 Stagea.
- 145 000 km and stock turbos here. Steve has over 200 000km on his turbos and we run 16 psi

Tophler

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
I do apologise and I'm grateful for all the information

G

Unregistered
These td03s are strong snails!! Iv done 275thou on a stock motor and turbos running 16psi and a few mods, no Imternals..
when I blew the motor I pulled over lifted bonnet,front turbo was glowing orange and I could only assu e what the rear looked like , I somehow dropped cylinder 1 in a way that I started the car and told AA to meet me 100km at a small town. So I drove with a screwed set of turbos,5 cylinders and no cooling apart from air movement fir an extra hour.. A few years now and I still have that motor lol and the turbos, bearings are fine but units suffered extreme heat..

jon is doing manifold upgrades for larger turbo options isn't he? Just go that way. Otherwise simply flash your Ecu if u want more power, see Steve for that

Tophler

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
If I was to go down the path of bigger turbos do I need to upgrade the ecu or can the stock one handle it

96vr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
AJ
Drive
Legnum with twin GT25R upgrade.
You must be chasing some serious power :eek:

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Hence the being 'game' bit. These would make very large numbers with the right supporting mods.

Packaging would be a bit tighter than yours, but definitely do-able.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
You'd need to do a LOT of work to the heads to get them to flow enough for those to work well....

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Yep. Fit the biggest exhaust valve you can at least +1mm and port work, there is a decent amount to be gained if you're prepared to spend the time

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
6A is 28mm
RB 26 is 30.15mm
But there's more to it than exhaust valve size alone

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
Already done on my old car, twin Td05 16g (search thread on build)
definetly needs more flow on exhaust

Top Bottom