Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomas
Drive
Current: Legnum, Datsun 260z x 3
Past: 180sx, gti-r sold R32 GTS4, 1972 Restored Celica
Hey Fellas

So i broke down last nite at Hawthorn

Was trying to get thru a small gap in traffic next thing i know i cant change gears, the master cylinder works so hydraulics are fine.

But when car is not running then i can change gears.

So it def a clutch - spoke to Daren the owner of AFAS in a middle of a night and he said something might have sliped of the clutch and apperantly some Exeedy products have had that problem before so hopefully its a warranty job as he is the one that put that clutch in just few weeks ago - but doubt it - i mean if he does not charge me then i will be very happy but very surprised.

So i got a tow truck for a 132 plus 8 dollar tip so 140$ from hawtorn to Croydon to AFAS AKA "Evo Autos" and left it there for the night - hopefully nobody touched it.

Will keep you guys posted.

PS drove my step dads car and my god 140 KW seems like a lawn mower - i appreciate my Legie even more now :)
but i still love a car rather than no car so i appreciate it in a weird way as it used to be my run about car.

Problem is im going to be a little broke after this

:( Tomas

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Oh ouch dude, that sucks :(

Well, hope the money for the pod thing goes somewhere to help!

G

Unregistered
I wonder if they replaced the release bearing when they did your clutch? I have an Exedy clutch in my other car and have never had a problem in more than 5 years.. can't say so much about the original factory one though.

swift5_8

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomas
Drive
I wonder if they replaced the release bearing when they did your clutch? I have an Exedy clutch in my other car and have never had a problem in more than 5 years.. can't say so much about the original factory one though.

Ya mate thats what i think that will be the problem - no car for god know how long :(

common Daren hurry up, work your majic and fix it :)

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
With more auto's coming over than manuals, would it be safe to say that a higher percentage of manuals (mostly the clutch) are breaking down?

swift5_8

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomas
Drive
I think Clutch is fairly good In Legnums, for such power and weight of the car and the way we sometime drive them i would say they last fairly well.

So I Spoke to AFAS - Daren and he said it will deffinetly be a big job and he will have to pull out the gear box to inspect the clutch - big job.

He spoke to Exeedy and apperanlty they are very concerned and are very keen to get this fixed and find out why it happened.

MY VR4 caused a Fuss - i love it - but it makes sence since you put out more that 1000 for the clutch you would expect it to last more than 4 weeks on a street car - especialy since i am still in a honey moon period with it so i have not even launched it not once.

That smells funky to me.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Strange, is there resistance to the pedal being depressed? Can you select gears when the car is off? Does the gearstick like to recentre itself and feel like normal?

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
With more auto's coming over than manuals, would it be safe to say that a higher percentage of manuals (mostly the clutch) are breaking down?

Wouldn't have thought you could compare a clutch to a gearbox. Unless you are saying that the auto gearboxes are a consumable part?

The clutch issues generally seem to be problems with installation anyway.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Well in this case it is an installation problem.

I would agree about the clutch being a consumable part, it just takes ~80-130,000km to consume it! In a similar distance it will cost just as much to get an Auto gearbox correctly serviced with the right oil at the correct intervals, assuming it lasts for that long of course.

G

Unregistered
Really sorry to hear about the break down.
If it is the clutch I might have to throw in a I told you so and should have bought the evo 8 clutch as I wouldnt want anything magna related in my car.
I am sure a few guys are happy with there magna clutches but have they driven a leggy with a evo clutch as you dont hear often about evo clutches breaking down.
Install is a huge factor but I dont think darren would screw that up as he has done hundreds of clutches in his day on mitsy's.
Keep us posted and if exedy are doing a replacement ask them to send you the evo 8 set up and stop mucking around.

swift5_8

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomas
Drive
good idea Adam if they will replace it then i will ask for it - what the hell i might even suggest it to Daren tommoz morning, cheers Bud

Brad - ya there is resistance on the pedal, i can change gears when the car is off but as soon as its on and on idle it cant be changed.

Im stuck at my girlfriends place all weekend grrrr - i feel so less weird without a car.

Fingers crossed - hopefully i can get that evo 8 clutch

Cheers Guys
Tomas

swift5_8

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomas
Drive
Ok an update.
As you know my clutch gave way about a month after putting it in, not happy since I paid 1400 for what was meant to be a very good product.
So I spoke to AFAS about the progress ( a week later )
They told me that the clutch plate has seased with the flywheel, now the heat required for that to happen would be substantial, and since I only drove the legie for 10 minutes form cold before it seased I think that there is no way I could have heated it up that much even if I would have been riding it all the way ( fairly difficult task on a button clutch)
So now the parts have been sent back to Exeedy to figure out what has happened.
I hope it is a warranty job as my last bill was 3400 and Kruds cash could be used for a stage 3 intercooler upgrade.
So what do you guys think that would have caused it to heat up so much?
Keep I mind I did wear it in properly since I am still in a honey moon period with my car.
PS – got an emanage ultimate HRRRRRR cant wait to play with it.
PS PS im driving my step brothers old car a pulsar Q’s with 6 thousand dollar suspension ( waste of money on such cheap car ) and tell you what it handles like magic and kinda better than most cars I owned – so its lots of fun.
This little thing apparently keeps up with 180s on black spur ( to those that know the spot) APPERANTLY!
Cheers
Very sad missing his Legie TOMAS

G

Unregistered
That really does suck that it seased up.
It does sound like a warranty job and I would be calling up the state manager of exedy and really winging that you have been inconvenienced and see if they throw you a twin plate with a flywheel as for the screw up.
Dont forget the evo 8 will fit so tell the manager to call me or carsten and we will verify that it works well and doesnt seize.
Cheers

G

Unregistered
Hey Tomas so whats the update on the clutch.
Hope they are going to warranty it and does that mean that they will pay Darren the money to put it all in the second time as that still should be part of the warranty claim???
Let us know.

swift5_8

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomas
Drive
Hey

The update is that somones picking up my car as im writing this, AFAS charged me 250$ for it so i am happy/nothappy about it, it cost me so much to put it in and now its extra 250 and such ling time without a car but at the same time it could have been worce and AFAS could have charged me way more or found a way to charge more so i am just happy to be able to drive her tonight :)

Cant wait, its like i am getting a new car all over again lol

PS Turning 25 this monday so it will be massive weekend at St Kilda pubs/bars/clubs
750$ will make it a good weekend

Prob wont drive too much as i will be hung over ( FINEGRS CROSSED ) that it wont happen

CHEERS
Tomas

G

Unregistered
So did they replace the clutch to the same crap and what about a new flywheel.
$250 for what was it to put it all back together and if you got new parts under warranty why didnt exedy pay to have it re fitted??

Top Bottom