can I get your thoughts? / help me!

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
Hi Guys,

A few of you might remember me, There was a wash meet so I could check out your cars...

anyways, long story short I put a deposit on this
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars...lcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=10&__sid=12254CCFCD5F

long story short he was selling it as making 200KWATW
The next day I called the tuning shop, RE Customs and got a copy of the dyno sheet - Ray at RE was quite helpful too so thumbs up for him

but yeah - the car is making 168KWATW on the RE dyno

I was OK with the price considering the mods, but it does have a couple of scuffs on the front fascia and it's at about 120,000K's

RE Customs reckon it will make more power, but to do it it needs some form of turbo upgrade.. so the question is do you guys think this car is worth going through with or should I run away?

Cheers,
S

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
That's Ivor's car. It's well known here. Did he let you drive it?

Edit: I believe he is straight-up about the car, no funny business going on, although that is second hand info from me (I haven't ridden in his car or talked to him much personally). But I suspect if you can agree on a price you like, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
yes - truth be told, Ivor seems quite upfront - definitely more honest than most people trying to sell you a car!

He took me for a spin, but I have yet to drive the car - suspension on it pretty awesome though.

Have people here ever had their cars on the RE dyno? is there any truth to the comment that the RE dyno reads fairly low?

the real reason I ask is more a bang for buck thing, take Ivor's car with honestly a lot of the mods I would be looking to do, or to buy a cheaper stock car and make the mods myself... you know.

incidentally - the scuff on dawso's car is about the same as the scuff on This leggy - how much is it likely to cost to get that fixed?

Regards,
S

G

Unregistered
Call the Touch Up Guys or similar and ask them to drop by and give you a free quote some time.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Hey Stu, re the front bar scuffs, I have been told that touching them up is going to look worse than the scuffs themselves on mine and to get the whole bar resprayed. Might be different for a white car but that was just my experience.

And I was an honest seller! :D

In terms of price, I was quoted $380 through a business for the front bar to be done but it all depends on who you know too as to what price they will give you to do it ;)

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Well I'd be asking him to explain the power discrepancy. While it is fair to say that if you're happy with the performance then you shouldn't worry about the exact numbers, that's a big discrepancy and it makes you wonder whether there's other things that you aren't being told.

And yes, I understand he's a member here and well regarded and all of that, but it doesn't change the facts...

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
what would you recommend replacing that pod with Brad?

Does anyone know where the RE dyno sits in the spread of things?

my mates reckon I should just get the car in the knowledge that the next step would be to sort something out with the turbos... but it will be a while before I can afford that after getting a car

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Good work mate, i have often thought about selling my car to buy Ivors.

RE dyno was notorious for over reading. I have seen 2 cars make 30-40 KW more on that dyno. Anyway, a lot of complaints saw the dyno re-callibrated. Maybe Ivors car was run at the higher level and/or at the lower level explaining the 200 and 168 difference. Either way, with those mods, the car should see 180+.

I think Frozen has those mods and makes 190 or so.

bdscott

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
98 FL Leggy
I was looking at buying this car when I was looking for mine. Maybe he backed off on the whole not taking anyone for a test drive. To be honest it is a great car and has many nice options. I would say though that those mods are really only good up to about 175rwkw and a replacement computer will probably be the first place to get more out of it. The SAFC just doesn't have enough tunability

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
hmm so I should interpret this as being the car makes less power than it should with these mods and probably the best things to do would be to get one of those 1702 ecu's and a better pod/intake system?

Apart from that am I safe in gauging the opinion being that the car would be a good one to get and work on - or am I better off just importing a stockie and starting from scratch?

Edit - also Dawso, I've gotta say altohugh things haven't panned out (at least so far) you carried yourself in a very open manner I didn't have any fears about your car that's for sure

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
OK Bradc - I promise you if I do buy the car I wil definitely give that a try

the weird thing is though apart from his pod, houldn't the list of mods basically put him close to what he was claiming anyway? I wonder why it's a bit down on power?

Shall I post the dyno sheets? RE did send them through to me which I thought was very nice of them

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
If u do go turbo upgrade, the intercooler piping will have to be modified and customised, so will the dump pipes. So the previous trust ones will be useless.. U could sell them? u can find a stock one for 12k, if the suspension and brakes are done, great, cat-back even better. From there u get everything else done in one hit with the turbo upgrade. Cooler, dumps, piping, filter, etc

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Edit - also Dawso, I've gotta say altohugh things haven't panned out (at least so far) you carried yourself in a very open manner I didn't have any fears about your car that's for sure

Aw shucks, thanks man.... hope everything works out :D

U could sell them? u can find a stock one for 12k, if the suspension and brakes are done, great, cat-back even better. From there u get everything else done in one hit with the turbo upgrade. Cooler, dumps, piping, filter, etc

He could get my white one with all suspension mods required done with a cat-back, facelifted front, leather interior AND MANUAL TRANSMISSION!!!! WTF!!!! (y)

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
I think Frozen has those mods and makes 190 or so.

My car is a freak - i actually have a few less mods than that and have made 180-190awkw twice now :) It did have a few 'other' mods that came on the car you dont see very often, and a few other things that seemed like they had been swapped back to something standard, so perhaps theres more done i dont know about.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Yep, your car is definitely a freak Josh... In a GOOD way though :)

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
The point is he's advertising it as a 200kw car and it isn't. That's not cool...

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
The point is he's advertising it as a 200kw car and it isn't. That's not cool...

No it's not cool, but its his choice. I know if I was looking at a car and found that advertised info on it was not as it was advertised, I'd be suspect on other aspects of it too.

Buyer beware ;)

Top Bottom