Compatible rear differentials.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Hey guys, looks like I am going to be picking up an evo9 diff on Sunday,

is there anything i should look for on final inspection?

Cracked bleed nipple will certainly be one thing.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Do we use the diff wings from the evo or the vr4 when installing a s-ayc diff?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I believe we use the same diff mounts, just that we need an extra 10mm spacer?

someone will confirm/correct me on this soon

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Which diff 'wings' do we use, the S-ayc ones or the ones originally on our cars?

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
If by "wings", you mean the diff mounts bolted to the diff. Then you need to remove the evo ones, and put the vr4 ones on from your original diff.
The Evo ones are a different mounting/line-up.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
To strengthen the transfer case, you just need to upgrade the casing bolts to 10mm and torque correctly. So long as you check the bearings and replace as necessary, this is good for everything the standard engine can throw at it in RWD configuration.

Are these the bolts connecting the case to the gearbox, or or bolts only contacting the transfer case itself?

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Cool, so I can pull off my spare tf case and have a crack this weekend. Do you need to replace any seals or just do them one at a time?

He says torque correctly... does he mean a set torque amount, or a pattern?

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Hi, um, I just pulled a bolt out of my spare transfer case and it's already M10... Are we sure about that number or has someone beat me to it?...

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
The bolts that hold the two halves of the case together. Not the bolts that hold the tailshaft in.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Evo 8-9 S-AYC Diff
Requires 10mm spacers on the rear mounts. Requires 4x4cm section cut out on the rear subframe for the YAW filler plug near the original filler hole.
Because everything is better with pictures, here is before and after for the fill hole from my efforts on the weekend
fill hole1.jpg
fill hole cut.jpg

And there is a little 12mm allowance cast into the Evo diff casing that needs to be cut off to not foul on the VR4 subframe.

Wtf is an 'Allowance', can someone please point it out? I thought it would identify itself when I chucked the subframe over the diff, but it didn't???

sayc.jpg
compare.jpg

Thanks.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Never had to cut anything off before. Just the 10mm spacers

J_banger

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Jason
Drive
97 Legnum vr4
I hate being that thread revived, but anybody that's don't the Magna LSD conversion have pictures/specs for their 10mm spacers? I am getting a mate of mine to machine some solid spacers and I'm finding it confusing to know what bolts they go on

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Yo, I did the S-AYC which needed spacers also, according to the first post it is the same ones on the magna LSD, the rear ones. Yours will look different but be in the same spot.
18091-00d5a833fe8081f2d5f95982b6050342.jpg

J_banger

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Jason
Drive
97 Legnum vr4
Yo, I did the S-AYC which needed spacers also, according to the first post it is the same ones on the magna LSD, the rear ones. Yours will look different but be in the same spot.
Thanks so much for the fast reply!
So the spacers themselves need to to 10mm of is the the bolt size?

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Yep.
A handy trick is to hold the spacer onto the diff by using a dab of super glue, that way you don't need to reach your hand up into the subframe to thread it on.

So do you want to see the abomination that is in my car?
Its that idea taken to the illogical conclusion :p Holding multiple little spacers onto one another!
11880643_10207699982557346_5430562358002215705_n.jpg
11887849_10207699982437343_5861132417191659722_n.jpg

J_banger

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Jason
Drive
97 Legnum vr4
Yep.
A handy trick is to hold the spacer onto the diff by using a dab of super glue, that way you don't need to reach your hand up into the subframe to thread it on.

So do you want to see the abomination that is in my car?
Its that idea taken to the illogical conclusion :p Holding multiple little spacers onto one another!
Man that's all class right there

Top Bottom