Control Arms and camber stuff

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Thanks Christian...postage is a bitch..I hope it does not cost too much to install...

install is pretty much straight forward.. just hope that the axle hasn't seized on the hub.. otherwise you'll have to get it pressed out.. mine did this in a span of 2 years.. (brembo install and recently after the accident)

there's a seller in ebay that sells the 2 bottom control arms for $250 with free postage..

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
With the correct spanner and ball joint separator you can change the lower arms without removing the wheel or axle.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
In perfect world yes, but the chances of the axle becoming seized is more than likely..

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
axle being siezed is likely due to someone not tightening the crown nut up on the axle to the correct torque.

It is very easy to undo the lower control arm without removing the axle, I have done it plenty. You just need a 19mm combination spanner and a ball joint splitter. Helps to have a spare jack (one from the car boot will do) to push the taper up into the hub carrier so that it doesn't spin when you are tightening it back up.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
axle being siezed is likely due to someone not tightening the crown nut up on the axle to the correct torque.

It is very easy to undo the lower control arm without removing the axle, I have done it plenty. You just need a 19mm combination spanner and a ball joint splitter. Helps to have a spare jack (one from the car boot will do) to push the taper up into the hub carrier so that it doesn't spin when you are tightening it back up.

what should the torque be for the front and rear axles?

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
Sorry I know I have asked this before but just wanted to double check if the worldsuspension kit will fit my 01 leggy. I'm concerned cause last time I bought the tie rods of them it didnt fit...Thanks guys!

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
I was going to give changing the control arms a go this weekend, but ran out of time. But looks like it's not something I can do with just a bunch of sockets and a breaker bar. Or am I reading it wrong?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
I was going to give changing the control arms a go this weekend, but ran out of time. But looks like it's not something I can do with just a bunch of sockets and a breaker bar. Or am I reading it wrong?

Usual spanner and sockets should be enough.. As long as you're not using a 1/4" drive for a 19mm nut or etc..

Also I think it would be wise yo see first if you van easily slide off the axle off the hub, cause there's that possibility that it is seized.. Not trying to make this job sound complicated, it's just that if your axle's seized with the hub more than likely the tapered rod from the ball joint would also be seized..

Also I think it's 22mm nut on the lca's balljoint and 32mm for the axle's nut

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
19mm Combination Spanner
17mm Combination Spanner
17mm Socket and breaker
Ball joint separator
The scissor jack from the boot of the car

Jack up both front wheels (both off the ground means you don't have to fight the anti-roll bar)
Loosen the control arm at the subframe, then at the shock attachment point. You will need the 17mm socket plus the 17mm combination spanner to stop it spinning. Get the control arm free of all but the ball joint, this allows you to rotate it out of the way. ( I am assuming you have checked the ball joints, they need changing and therefore you don't want to keep the old ones...)

You should now have easy access to the lower control arm ball joint nut. Remove it with the 19mm Combination spanner and then use the ball joint separator to remove the control arm completely.

Use the scissor jack to push the new ball joint taper in so that the ball joint doesn't spin when you are doing it up. Then re-assemble the rest. Easy.

If you can, drop the car down before doing up the control arms at the subframe. This will prevent the rubber bushes being put under strain when the car is at rest.

So I do need to remove the axel to get the control arm off?

Top Bottom