Dead Legnum on the side of the road

Rabit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum Mint with 44589ks when I got it. Now with black leather seats. After 3 years of fun some terminal engine bay wiring issues raised their ugly heads and it died. I Now drive a 2002 Legnum and have retired the 2000 to spare parts duty.
My beloved Legnum decided to die on the way up the hill this afternoon. For the past couple of months, every now and again under hard acceleration it would cough until I take the foot off. Today it started coughing with only a small amount of pedal and died completely. No radio, No instruments and no ignition. I was lucky that it happened only about 1k from home and I will go back in the morning when I can see. So far the consensus is Ignition switch or ignition fuse. All help appreciated

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Hmm... odd. Battery or alternator, possibly both? Also, I'm sure you have... but check ign leads and such, earth cable yada yada.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
been thinking about this issue and was comparing it to the way Cameron's car's symptoms.. similar, but i dont recall his gaugues/interior electronics not working..

so it may not be the fuse in the engine bay

Rabit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum Mint with 44589ks when I got it. Now with black leather seats. After 3 years of fun some terminal engine bay wiring issues raised their ugly heads and it died. I Now drive a 2002 Legnum and have retired the 2000 to spare parts duty.
No the fuse in the engine bay is ok. Battery reads 12.56v. When key is in the ignition and door open the chime works. Interior lights work when door open and the headlights work fine. I've checked the battery terminals and they are ok. No the windows and wipers don't work. I'm going to flat tow it home tonight very slowly. It should be ok as its less than 1k. and its closer to my tool box. Matt, I have coil on plug so no leads.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
You should probably include mention of the hot start issues you have been having lately, could be related.

Rabit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
Yep, At times it behaves as if it has a flat battery when trying to hot start. Give it a rest and it starts. Bit like me. It is 15 yo and that's probably a similar age to me in Jap car years.LOL
All these issues have started since the drive down to Nerang (about 28k) with the oil filler cap sitting on the airbox and the subsequent oil mist over every thing in the engine bay. After that I did degrease the engine bay several times so it could quite possibly be a bad earth somewhere in the engine bay. BUT WHERE.

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
"Battery reads 12.56v"
Someone correct me if I am wrong but the battery should read around the 13vlt mark when running. My wifes Mazda3 has done this twice, it ended up being a dead battery, one of the cells collapsed.

Gary

aiKzo6

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Aiks
Drive
'98 Galant VR4
Approx 13.5-14.4v when running...but i dont think its running judging by his post. I'd be starting by checking all the fuses with a test light and making sure all the grounds in the engine bay are good.

Have you had any work done prior to the running/starting issues?

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
Check battery terminals for corrosion. May be able to power the small things but and major draw and the circuit drops voltage. What's battery read while cranking?

Rabit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
It wont crank. there is no action when I turn the key. No fuel pump noise or any noise for that matter. I've been across all the fuses with a meter and they check out ok. I do believe that it is a problem with a connector or a fusible link if it has one. I just need to find out where.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Key barrel is my guess

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
so, when you try and crank it, does it have that clicking sound as if it wants to crank?

Rabit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
No Christian no noise at all. What I found this morning was fuse no16 which is a slow blow 30a fuse. in a facelift it is the 1.5cm square fuse pink in colour, adjacent to the 20a engine fuse no 13. When I short out the fuse all the lights come on and the engine will start just, but is running rough, like its missing a cylinder, and will stall if I take my foot off the throttle too fast. The check engine light comes on as well. I think that the problem is in the engine bay. I don't think the key barrel is the problem Steve, I need to sus out what codes I have and go from there but at least I have a direction to look now.

Rabit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
Seems to be a lot of unburned fuel smell coming from the tailpipe.

Rabit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
The fault code indication is as follows, N constant flash, ABS constant flash, Engine light 4 flashes pause 1 flash, AYC 1 flash then long pause. Could someone please interpret this for me.

Rabit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
What controls the fuel injection system. Or where do I go next.

Rabit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
Anyone know what this is and should it have something plugged into it and should the hose at the back be cut off. there is a rubber hose hanging in the breeze nearby as well. Its the hose that exits the picture at the bottom of the picture below the orange connector.

Attachments

• rsz_1img_0850.jpg
    rsz_1img_0850.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 20

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
98 PFL Black Legnum - SOLD
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
Anyone know what this is and should it have something plugged into it and should the hose at the back be cut off. there is a rubber hose hanging in the breeze nearby as well. Its the hose that exits the picture at the bottom of the picture below the orange connector.
Rob, that is your boost control solenoid from memory. If you have a 3-port then its fine and just leave it, there is no need for it to be connected to anything as the 3-port is now doing it's job.

The pink fuse from memory is the central locking fuse if you go to the wreckers they are the same as CE lancers (Same as @unclepaulie ) otherwise one fuse is worth about $60 from superautobarn. I would recommend possibly replacing all the spade fuses and making sure there is absolutely no oil in the fuse box. Also, it may the wiring from the 60A and 100A fuses. Just check they haven't come loose, as that had happened to me.

Top Bottom