One dead Legnum (update: Fixed!)

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
I'm glad the situation looks better than expected...tough luck about the towie...

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Car is diagnosed. Short answer: it's all my fault.

Apparently, I overtightened the timing belt tensioner bracket bolt and it has suddenly snapped, causing the camshaft to jump a couple of teeth. What may have saved the motor is the fact that the tensioner bracket flies backwards and hits the alternator mount, leaving some tension on the belt (but not enough to stop teeth from skipping).

The possibly good news is that even though it sounds like a bag of spanners, it's running smoothly. We're going to fix up the issues and check it out, but if the valves are bent we're still planning to replace the motor.

I really don't know how I did that. I was careful as f*ck with all the torque specs but my torque wrench must be way out of adjustment, unless that bolt was weakened previously?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I've read in several occasions that the timing belt tensioner bolt snaps and causes havoc.

are you going ot investigate how extensive the damage is or are you just gonna leave it as is?

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
I've read in several occasions that the timing belt tensioner bolt snaps and causes havoc.

are you going ot investigate how extensive the damage is or are you just gonna leave it as is?
Going to replace belt and the bolt, line everything up then do compression test and go from there.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
That you did!

Very ashamed in my own work at the moment.
Live an learn eh!

Ive done more cambelts than I can count on these cars and I've never had that bolt snap, never torqued to factory spec, just done up by feel. I'd say you just got unlucky and the bolt was fatigued somehow.

fingers crossed for you that it hasn't tagged any valves! but if its only a few teeth out you might, just might, get away with it.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Live an learn eh!
Thanks mate. That means a lot. Once when I was in the military as a 17 yr old I fucked up and lost a piece of kit in the bush. The Regimental Sergeant Major who was with me at the time could have chewed me a new one, but instead he just looked me in the eye and said "well you won't make that mistake again will you?". Hearing that turned a bigtime negative into a future positive, because by god I never made that mistake again.

Ive done more cambelts than I can count on these cars and I've never had that bolt snap, never torqued to factory spec, just done up by feel. I'd say you just got unlucky and the bolt was fatigued somehow.

fingers crossed for you that it hasn't tagged any valves! but if its only a few teeth out you might, just might, get away with it.
Yeah. Since the car is running "smoothly" I'm assuming it means I either A) didn't tag any valves or B) only tagged one.

If I only did one, then the question is whether we fix it. Malcolm's opinion is not to pull the heads off but then he's not an engine builder.

What are your thoughts? Can the heads be safely removed and put back by your average engine guy without resulting in the car "never being quite the same"? And would it be cheaper than a new engine? And could it be done with the engine in the car?

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Depends on how much you can pick a 6A up for in AUS. there are pretty cheap here in NZ

the work isn't overly complicated to change a head over. just the parts add up and its alot of work. you will need Head gasket, head bolts, turbo gaskets, thermostat gaskets, the head will need to be surfaced and the block throughly cleaned and checked for straightness.
most of the time its just easier to bung another 2nd hand motor in. but then you are taking a gamble on its condition and history. but Like I said it all depends how much thats going to cost you across the ditch!.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Depends on how much you can pick a 6A up for in AUS. there are pretty cheap here in NZ

the work isn't overly complicated to change a head over. just the parts add up and its alot of work. you will need Head gasket, head bolts, turbo gaskets, thermostat gaskets, the head will need to be surfaced and the block throughly cleaned and checked for straightness.
most of the time its just easier to bung another 2nd hand motor in. but then you are taking a gamble on its condition and history. but Like I said it all depends how much thats going to cost you across the ditch!.
Yeah. A bent valve would mean replace the motor but it also means I get the chance to create a forged build and go for 250+kw at the wheels with a solid engine.

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
98 PFL Black Legnum - SOLD
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
I bought all the parts for a head swap as I thought that I was going to have to do valve stem seals.
But I just dropped a new motor in instead. I was just fortunate I knew its history.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
So I've been to Malcolm's workshop yesterday and had a look. I have some pictures I've uploaded to Facebook which I'll push later.

Anyway the tensioner bolt sheared off right at the block, and the tensioner assembly only stayed in the car because it jammed against the alternator mount. This appears to have kept enough pressure on the belt to avoid it skipping more than a couple of teeth. The belt has friction burns on it too.

Malcolm is going to put the belts back on with a new bolt (duh) and start the car up briefly to see how she sounds. If bad, replace motor. If good, check compression.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Hopefully a good result, but sounds like the power bug may have had a nibble on you somewhere...

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
No news yesterday; Malcolm was tied up on a time critical job for another client.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
No news today, work expected to start tomorrow.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Status update - car won't get started until Wednesday. Malcolm was fully booked up and one of his guys was going on leave when I dropped the car off.

Worst case is it gets worked on next week.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Holy shit! The car is OK!

Just got off the phone with Malcolm and it's all been confirmed I didn't bend any valves. I cannot believe how lucky I am right now.

Picking up the car tomorrow. Awwww Yisss.

Top Bottom