Double sided tape removal - How do I do it?

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
One of my door strips was 1/2 hanging off when I got the car. I did the easy option which I was pretty aware wouldn't work and got cheap double sided tape from supercheap and stuck the strip back on over the existing perished / rooted tape.

It didn't last long unsurprisingly.

I was wondering how you would go about getting it off. I need to source some of that proper body work double sided tape... i'll just drop into a panel shop.

But I think I need to get the door back to clean not tape at all first if I want it to last.

Any idea's?

Picture033.jpg

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
err.. prepsol?! isn't that what's used for it? check out HPI issue 96.. there's a guide there for debadging your car.. but it's the same process..

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I've tried wax and grease remover and it doesn't seem to budge it. Neither does turps :/

It's so old and dried out, but the foam is still there.

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
Isopropyl alcohol Hugh. Its the go for sure! gets everything BUT the paint off
here is an excert from (shit, I dont know) Don't ask me where to get it though sorry, used to work in a IT warehouse where we used it to get the stickers off the thousands of backup tapes we used so I know it must be readily available from somewhere.
Uses

Isopropyl alcohol is cheaply available. Like acetone, it dissolves a wide range of nonpolar compounds. It is also relatively nontoxic and dries quickly. Thus it is used widely as a solvent and as a cleaning fluid (by dissolving lipophilic contaminants such as oil).

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
I think I *might* have a bottle lying around somewhere. I'll have a look and if I do I'll bring it Friday night

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Cheers Alex, I'll see if we have some down stairs. (electrical workshop) But bring it along if you find it!

We have some, I'll see how it goes tonight.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
well. the old way is..

heat them up with hair dryer and ask your friend to pill them off with thier fingernails. If you are gonnar use the spray, soak them and then use wooden spoon to sort of "rub" them off then spray again and then use towel to rubb again. when it is all clean, wash the area to remove all the residue and spray stuff.

when you out then back on, put the double sided tape on the attchment, wet the door and put the attchment on. it will give you the flexibility to move it arounf a bit or adjust it if you stick it on wrongly. press it firmly and then when it is dry, it s better then new

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Cheers happy. I think the existing stuff wouldn't come away as a strip even with a heat gun. But it is worth a try.

Wetting the door doesn't ruin the adhesive on the body tape?

G

Unregistered
nope..
sign shops use it to put vinyls, etc.. on, spray whatever with soapy water, apply vinyl, and squeeze out as much water as possible, making sure the sticker is bubble free, and that is one very easy way of applying stickers!

my drivers side door trim is doing the same thing, however i was thinking of removing mine to colour code them. mine has a bunch of clips though, one is where that hole is (i think its the clip that is broken on mine)

how did you go about removing them without breaking the other clips?

G

Unregistered
alternatively you could use sicaflex to stick them back on.. but removing the double sided tape.. i would use a heat gun and an old bank card, to remove the bulk of it then some sort of bug and tar remover for the rest

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Ahh I was thinking about what would be the perfecty scraper. A bank card would be sweet!

Mitchy > The clip things are not clips, they are just used to center the strip when you stick it on. I have the front one. the middle and back one are gone.

If you careful when you stick it on it's not hard to get it centered.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Well ok, I tried a heat gun on it and it made the foam that was left softer so I could kind of scrape that back a little.. It was in no way easy though... like 10 mins moved maybe 10mm. Not what was going to work.

I tried Isopropyl Alcohol and it kind of started to budge it... but man it's going to be about 3-4 hours work from the look of it :/ I didn't try the wooden spoon method happymatch, i'll give that a go.

I think I'll ask a couple of body shops in my street ( there must be about 7 within 400m of our factory) what they would want to do it. If it's under $100 i'd be temped just to save myself the time.

G

Unregistered
took me fcuking ages to remove that stuff off my roof from the sat nav antennas...

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
oh.. i remembe taking my side door protectors. took me ages fighting with mossie at the back yard.. my blood and sweat was in the work..

get a case of a beer and invite about 2,3 friends and work on each door. will work out to be cheaper

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I only need to do the one door hey.... So happymatch how much beer should I bring and what tools and when are you free.... :p

Top Bottom