Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
Hey guys,

About to look at replacing my old chineese Double Din GPS/Stereo unit as it is starting to have issues again (already been fixed once since I bought it 4 years ago). So does anyone have any recent experience on which units to look for or which ones to avoid?

Just after reasonable sound quality and GPS as a minimum. Ultimately if I could get something to run Evoscan etc that would be awesome...

Rabit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum Mint with 44589ks when I got it. Now with black leather seats. After 3 years of fun some terminal engine bay wiring issues raised their ugly heads and it died. I Now drive a 2002 Legnum and have retired the 2000 to spare parts duty.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
thread bump.... been researching headunits again..

if you have either Samsung galaxy S3/4/5 or Note 2/3

these units have Garmin's Navigon GPS software.. I use it and has been good.. except when it loses GPS signal

anyway, I mentioned these as they are mirrorlink compatible devices and last night I saw this headunit from Alpine

here's a youtube video link

and ebay listing... link here.. ICS-X7 or the ICS-X8

Ozyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Scott
Drive
2000 Legnum
parrot is an awesome unit. I have fitted a couple at work. Very fast and great features and play store.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
I had an Eonon eBay cheapie installed in my old girl, (installed by previous owner)
Never had a problem with it..
From memory it still even kept decent GPS signal for the first few KMs of the Lane Cover Tunnel, and never lost signal in Sydney due to the buildings.

Same argument with Double din Headunits as I'm now having with LED lightbars/spotlights in the new 4WD world

Eonon head units are around $250-$300...
Why spend $1000+ on a 'Brand name'
I got 2and a bit hassle free years from the HU, plus how ever long the old owner had it for..
In 3-4years time, it's probably upgrade time anyway (in terms of functionality, features etc).
As I said, why spend $1000+ on a Narva LED lightbar when my $200 eBay cheapie does just as good, and I won't care if it gets smashed if I clip a roo or smash it 4wd-ing.. I'd certainly care if it was a Narva bar that cost an arm and a leg...

Ozyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Scott
Drive
2000 Legnum
The reason you you go for a more expensive unit is quality. I have fitted alot of those eBay units and even tho they are getting better, they don't work as well or sound as good as a quality unit. Most of the time the factory stereo sounds better than those units. You get what you pay. An example , I just upgraded my amplifier from a $800 5 channel amp to $1500 5 channel amp, and even tho they power the same speakers , they sound so different. So much more power and no I run the speakers to there max cleanly. The old amp would run out of power causing the speakers to distort and that when you damage speakers.

Top Bottom