ebay double din touch screen head units

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
has anyone had any experience with these? are they worth the money or should I just save up and buy a name brand? I'd particularly like to get one with Bluetooth. Not too fussed about whether it's got a tv tuner or not.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
A mate of mine got a double-din unit with DVD and sat nav for around $700 - works damn well for the money! No, it ain't no Pioneer AVIC, but it's 70% of the functionality for only a sixth the price!

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
they look pretty good and have the bluetooth functionality I'm after. Don't care about quality of the built in amp cause I've already got those, won't be using the onboard amp at all.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
I've been eyeing these things off for a while but haven't had the dosh to do anything yet, but I'm definitely going for one of these soon.

I mainly want it for the GPS capability of it so I don't have to get lost listening to the wife's upside down directions!!;)

Go for it Trav!:)

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
lol, I barely ever use a map, generally have pretty good sense of direction (which is unusual for a race car driver) so GPS is fairly useless to me, would be good for my wife tho. Just as long as the directions aren't delivered in broken chinese/english ;-)

My brother has a pull out touchscreen from ebay I think so I'm trying to get hold of him to see what he thinks of it. Have also noticed with a bit of research you can get a pretty decent JVC unit for about $800 but that doesn't include GPS and bluetooth obviously.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Don't touch an EONON unit !

My car came with one installed. Constant pain in the arse. MP3 playback wouldn't support folders, screen would keep dying, TV tuner is pathetic. No the drive mechanism is stuffed so won't read any discs anymore.

So all I hear now when driving is the hum of the engine !

G

Unregistered
In all seriousness, DON'T do it!

I looked at getting one of those cheap eBay TV/DVD headunits for about 6 months. I read review after review after review on just about all the decent ones I could... All the reviews said that they were shit. I honestly could not find a single review that said it was worth the money spent apart from the odd one or two Koren fanboy reviews posted on forums.

There were a lot of issues and a lot of good points made as to why you should steer clear, the main ones being:

1. Ridiculous support and warranty when (not if) it breaks down.
2. Intermittent function in regards to DVD and MP3 playback
3. Some people mentioned that they had to get FM convertors to use the radio.
4. Most DVD's wouldn't play due to region issues.

At the end of the day it's like anything you'd buy for your car, you get what you pay for. Would you buy a pair of cheap chinese eBay turbos and chuck them on? (God I hope not...) I suggest saving that extra $300-$400 and getting something that works and is reliable, that why if something does happen it'll be easier to resolve.

I ended up purchasing a Kenwood KVT-739 and it is absolutely fantastic! I've had it for around 8 months now and haven't had a single problem. I originally had it installed in the GTiR, but just recently pulled it out and reinstalled it into the Legnum, perfect fit and no hassles what-so-ever. If you check eBay you should be able to pick one up for under $1000, otherwise check these guys out:

http://www.ryda.com.au/Kenwood-KVT-739DVD-In-Dash-DVD-Tuner-p/kvt739dvd.htm

If in doubt read a shitload of reviews ;) Haha

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
I thought I'd revive this thread as I'm now in the market for a new head unit as my current alpine one has no way of receiving a ipod signal and I don't use CD's anymore. It won't receive a FM signal properly and I tried via the ai net cd changer input, and got nothing either.

I wish JVC would release this in australia,
h105KDNX500-o_dg-1p.jpg

It's got everything, including GPS. I've seen them on Eebay for $600. It's been in the USA and Europe for a year already.

The only thing that comes close here in Oz is this pioneer thing.

AVICHD3-main-product.jpg

Don't mind the fact that it costs nearly $4000 though!

If someone could come up with a software fix, i.e. upload the maps from Australia to the JVC deck, it would be perfect.

I'm thinking I'll probably just wait for the new 3G iphone to come out as this is supposed to have GPS built in, along with everything else. Then I'll get either one of these

61951522_640.jpg

JVCKWAVX710.jpg

On ebay for about $400. could be the go

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Yea the Pioneer AVIC-3 is the best head unit in the world atm AFAIK. They're coming down in price, though - a friend of mine was told $3300 at JB hifi last week.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
If you have an existing DVD HU/ Screen, is there anyone who makes a GPS unit that will output to an existing screen?

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Yeah I've seen kenwood has a GPS add on thing

KNA-G430AU.jpg

Cost is $1200 though, again Way out in comparison to the USA market. Can get a decent one with it's own screen for $500 in oz easy.

That pioneer head unit may be good, but $3K is a lot to spend on a head unit. I mean if you're making lots of money, sure but it seems a bit out in comparison to the rest of the worlds prices.

Upon checking iphone compatibility, it seems only the alpine decks have full compatibility, kenwood works, but can't search individual tracks. JVC and Pioneer don't do to well, which is a shame because I found this one for $450 delivered

avhp4000dvd.jpg

May have to go with one of the aussie alpine decks specifically made for Ipods. They do work with the Iphone perfectly, giving full control at the head unit, and the music pauses when a call comes in etc.

6_large.jpg

$370 delivered from Melbourne, includes warranty.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
After a marathon effort of online research I ended up settling with a JVC KW-AVX 810 two din Multimedia head unit. For $570 including shipping from the USA, nothing came even remotely close in Australia.

KW-AV810l.jpg

It's got every feature known to man, AV inputs and outputs, SD and USB inputs, ipod direct control, and a whole lot of other stuff I will probably not even use (who actually watches DVD's in there car anyway?) At the end of the day, i'll just be happy to be able to use my ipod!!

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
just do a little more research before committing. I was looking at getting from the US but then was advised that their FM frequencies are slightly shifted from ours, like by about .5 mhz, so it wouldn't lock on properly to any of our stations. Not sure the value of truth in that but worth looking into.

After a marathon effort of online research I ended up settling with a JVC KW-AVX 810 two din Multimedia head unit. For $570 including shipping from the USA, nothing came even remotely close in Australia.

KW-AV810l.jpg

It's got every feature known to man, AV inputs and outputs, SD and USB inputs, ipod direct control, and a whole lot of other stuff I will probably not even use (who actually watches DVD's in there car anyway?) At the end of the day, i'll just be happy to be able to use my ipod!!

G

Unregistered
just do a little more research before committing. I was looking at getting from the US but then was advised that their FM frequencies are slightly shifted from ours, like by about .5 mhz, so it wouldn't lock on properly to any of our stations. Not sure the value of truth in that but worth looking into.

i bought the JVC single din deck i had in my R33 from america, never had an issue.
the one in my leggy is the australian model though, as it was surprising cheaper (and from a perth seller too!)

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Yeah I read something similar from an aussie ebay seller about the radios are set up differently also....but i don't even listen to the radio at all, so that wouldn't bother me anyway. Also from the research I did, I couldn't actually find anything online to support this guys claim? The same one is sold here in Australia (RRP $1099) also, so it should be ok. Will be interesting to find out though.

Mitch where did u pick up ur one from in Perth?

Chris Rogers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris Rogers
Drive
wagon
If you have an existing DVD HU/ Screen, is there anyone who makes a GPS unit that will output to an existing screen?

yes. Garmin do one. GVN52 or GVN53. dont bother looking at the US version as it is a entirely different box.

Top Bottom