ebay double din touch screen head units

Chris Rogers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris Rogers
Drive
wagon
clarion do a 2din item and DVD unit for around the $800 mark. tack on a HITV GPS unit and clarion BT module and you have everything that a cheap EBAY unit does but in a decent brand.

I have fitted way too many of the EBAY units only to have certain parts of hem die after 3-4 weeks and then have an annoyed customer ringing me asking why it failed and what can I do about it figuring that is was a installation error instead of a QC/unit error...

jimslick

Crunching Gears
First Name
jim
Drive
99 vr4
i was having this discussion with my mate about buying a cheapie e-bay head unit. he said why not but a 7' computer screen (prob about $200) mounting it in the dash. then installing a apple mac mini(about $800 he said) in the glove compartment? i know you don't get GPS,tv(which i really want) but you get a computer in your csr, so you could buy a wireless modem and have the internet. but i guess your looking at an inverter for jaycar/tandy aswell. just another option i guess.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
i was having this discussion with my mate about buying a cheapie e-bay head unit. he said why not but a 7' computer screen (prob about $200) mounting it in the dash. then installing a apple mac mini(about $800 he said) in the glove compartment? i know you don't get GPS,tv(which i really want) but you get a computer in your csr, so you could buy a wireless modem and have the internet. but i guess your looking at an inverter for jaycar/tandy aswell. just another option i guess.

It has been done! There are people who have done this and with a usb bluetooth module and a usb GPS have had everything you want anyhow.

You can get USB digital TV receivers also you know...

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
i got a tv function as well. only problem is every ime when the car is on the move, the reception goes as well

jimslick

Crunching Gears
First Name
jim
Drive
99 vr4
hey has anyone got one of those chinese 7' they don't want.. i've was talking to a guy yesterday that says he brings them over then re-writes the software in them. said the hardware is fine, they just use hacked software that lets them down, so i was goin to try him out without buying a new unit.
cheers jim

Renz

Crunching Gears
First Name
Lorenzo Bolanca
Drive
White 1997 Type S Legnum
Hey Jim. You still looking for a chinese 7" H/U? You can have mine once I rip it out (next couple of weeks). Just cover the postage and it's yours :)

BTW. It's an Eonon. Don't frown on me...it came with the car.

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
1997 Galant VR4 and a very old cordia turbo
If anyione else is getting rid of one I wouldn't mind having a look at one - trying to get the software right etc.

bdscott

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
98 FL Leggy
I had a cheap chinese double din dvd player in my old car. Worked fine most of the time but there were glitches every now and then. Biggest problem for me were the screen graphics which just scream tight ass. In the Legnum I sprang for the JVC double din dvd player and am much happier. Although the bluetooth unit which cost more doesn't work with my iphone which pissed me off. Still miss certain features from the cheap head unit like getting the time from the radio so it was always spot on and rds

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
Cheap ebay chinese unit. $300 approx

Bought the APP0111 wiring harness. Connected up and worked straight away. No soldering needed

well almost

None of my presets were being remembered. Obviously a power problem. Traced it to the battery and ignition 12V wires (red and yellow on the harness side) being the wrong way around. Buggered if I know which connector is wrong (and it doesn't really matter). Swapped them and all is fine and dandy.

Also found this web site. Shows diagrammatically the wiring for both the pre and post 98 stereos.

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Mitsubishi-Wiring.pdf

TV requires an antenna. Bluetooth works well. My phone is a mps3 player and I can play (but not control) the songs on my phone thru the bluetooth.

GPS so far seems OK, but the voice over is not loud enough compared to the radio (it doesn;t mute the radio??). DVD and radio fine. Audio quality is so so, but I am no audiophile and just the stock speakers.

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
also any recommendations for the TV antenna? Will the diversity antenna work if I put the right connector in it?

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
Nah, not really that interested - but because the unit has the analog TV function thought I might as well connect it up.

Has anyone used the diversity antenna (I don't want to rip the plug off if it is no good anyway)?

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Come along to the Workshop day...look it up in the QLD section

Top Bottom