DOUBLE DIN HU, WHICH ONE SHOULD I GET?

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
How on earth can you drive without decent tunes? Fuck me, I think I'd kill something if I didn't have my music.

G

Unregistered
Today I've tried out Sony XAV-70BT and even tho it has absolutely best GUI and typography on market it's one of the worst HU. I like every single feature, everything looked very polished and functional, but the speed it works... well... it's not slow — it's unbelievably, seriously sluggish. Every single button responds after 1 or 2 seconds, and when it does you've already tap that button 3 times because you thought you missed it. It's so slow at anything that I would consider it dangerous while operating behind the wheel; but the iPod controls (which is my main reason for HU purchase) are even slower, actually iPod controls are unusable from HU, it takes 2-5 seconds to change song and 5-20(!!!) seconds to refresh iPod artist list (mine's big, but anyways), maybe that's why Sony "invented" passenger controls, which basically means "give your co-driver select song from iPod itself".

I was really disappointed, I wanted to like that HU and I did in terms of looks and functionality... but the sluggishness spoils everything, and makes that HU is unusable :(( :(

Now I'm looking at Alpine iXA-W404, is it any good? Review and Youtube videos look good.

G

Unregistered
Ordered Alpine iXA-W404, will write a how-to install and a review after I get it.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
That sony one doesn't sound too crash hot.. Even my crappy single DIN JVC head unit has very responsive and easy to use iPod control

JiMi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie Kendrick
Drive
98 leggy, 90 gvr4, holden rodeo
was having a look at jb hifi the other night... could spend alot of money very easy :(

i really want, mp3 capability and bluetooth for my phone, i would love to also have gps/dvd player, having all of that makes it quite pricey though... not sure where to go atm

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I had a cheapo single din unit with a 4.3" touchscreen off EBay that did CDs, MP3s, DVDs, TV (analogue), GPS, Bluetooth, IPod control, USB input.
Did the trick just fine & dandy for me. It was only about $350 back then. The GPS was actually very good!
The only thing I didn't like about it was if you were listening to an MP3 when you turn off the ignition, it would play back from the start again when you next drove the car. Wasn't good for listening to LONG podcasts...

G

Unregistered
Alpines seem to be good solution for price, I mean you could buy HU and then navigation/bluetooth/etc modules when you'll have extra money. So you're buying expensive system by "chunks" :)

RxR

Crunching Gears
First Name
Haydn
Drive
1999 Legnum
How on earth can you drive without decent tunes? Fuck me, I think I'd kill something if I didn't have my music.

i still have the jap stereo. i get nova and 101.1 that fades in and out with static....

If i have good tunes it increased my adrenalin and this throw the car around more...
no tunes means save more petty :p

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive

I've only got the stock Jap stereo as well. I did have a tape-to-MP3 adaptor but gave it away. I just drive with nothing but the sound of the 6A13TT.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
I would grind my own face off on the asphalt if I didn't have a decent stereo for more than a few days!

JiMi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie Kendrick
Drive
98 leggy, 90 gvr4, holden rodeo
i'm in the same boat... like no noise at times... but when cruising/long drives i need my music... and i die without radio on the way to work in the mornings,

my hand might be about to get pushed, the radio is doing some strange things... turn the radio up and nothing happensthen suddenly it will go VERRRRRRY loud and i will madly turn it down and nothing happens till i get 2 zero then its suddenly quiet, turn it up one notch and flat out again.... very weird,

was looking at a nice pioneer double dinn unit at auto barn the other day, full size touch screen, bluetooth, sat nav, dvd, etc, rec retail is 3k but he said the last one they sold for just over 2, tis VERY nice but a bit more than i would like too spend, $1500 i would consider but 2k would make for grumpy wife... hehe

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
lol try driving to from Sydney to Brisbane with no radio or aircon, sitting in Recaros!

Can't remember what I did to pass the time

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
lol try driving to from Sydney to Brisbane with no radio or aircon, sitting in Recaros!

Can't remember what I did to pass the time

patchym

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Phil Murray
Drive
saab 95, '98 man galant, 2018 commodore rsv wagon
Gday Tommy86 & others,

can't seem to be able start a new thread for this question so maybe you guys/girls will let me add to this thread.

I have a panasonic vx303 head unit double din that came with my 98 galant and I am looking to replace it with a single.
Does anyone here know how to remove these particular units without destroying my particularly nice carbon fibre console
102_1867.JPG
102_1908.JPG

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Gday Tommy86 & others,

can't seem to be able start a new thread for this question so maybe you guys/girls will let me add to this thread.

I have a panasonic vx303 head unit double din that came with my 98 galant and I am looking to replace it with a single.
Does anyone here know how to remove these particular units without destroying my particularly nice carbon fibre console

Search is your friend :)

Top Bottom