Dull knock in the motor

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
my rear one was doing this, i only just saw your video. i tightened it up before sale. i need to remind the current owner to double check as its been nearly a year

sounded like the turbo fins chopping air on the turbo through an exhaust leak on the downpipe on the rear turbo

Cameron McPherson

#Skids4Jesus
Lifetime Member
First Name
Cameron
Drive
1997 White Legnum VR4
2010 50cc Scooter - Daily
So just for closure, in case anyone else is visiting this thread in the future.
My ticking sound was my wastegate actuator being loose, allowing the wastegate to flap on down rev - and also solving the noticable lag I was experiencing.
Thanks to Steve @ TME for finding it, I have noticed that I'm starting to hear the sound again, approx 12 months on, so I will go and tighten it up again soon.

@Kaldek or @Boblobsta or anyone else who has tightened their wastegate actuator:

Just confirming this is what you tightened - the nut on the rod (red circle)? And you tightened it towards the exhaust housing end of the turbo (blue arrow)?

What is the best way to get access to it to tighten it up? I'm pretty sure I have the same issue so hopefully this resolves it.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--1644582636.jpeg

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
The nut is just a locking nut. You need to loosen the locking nut, remove the c clip holding the actuator to the wastegate, and then shorten the overall length of the actuator rod.
Removing hotside pipework and tubo heat shields should give you access.

Cameron McPherson

#Skids4Jesus
Lifetime Member
First Name
Cameron
Drive
1997 White Legnum VR4
2010 50cc Scooter - Daily
Thanks @twisted32!

Had a look at it this afternoon. I definitely have play on that rod. It's in a shit of a spot as you say but I'm thinking if I remove turbo inlet pipe and front pipes I should be able to remove the split pin holding the end of the rod to the wastegate and also unbolt the diaphragm end to remove that whole piece. Probably easier to adjust when on the bench.

More of a mission than I had hoped but at least I know the cause now!

Top Bottom