Knock in steering?

G

Unregistered
Yep, it's normal that they will wear out over time and need to be replaced again so you might want to change them if you have never done so since your car has been in Australia.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
any1 suggested springbind in the strut? or possibly strut top where it mounts into the tower..???

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
any1 suggested springbind in the strut? or possibly strut top where it mounts into the tower..???

That's what Pedders diagnosed mine as. So when i get time i am going to strip down my coilovers and try and clean/lube and adjust pre-load again

tsai1

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Ben
Drive
01 legnum
I took my car to a mechanic today and he said it might be the bottom uni joint on the steering column. If it not that its the rack. So anyway I was wondering If anyone can source one of these before I talk to the mitsi dealer.I would rather give my money to one of you guys cheers.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Tsai1, the tie rod end (ball joint) can be purchased from autobarn, burson, supercheap as they are also the same ones used on the 93-97 galants (HJ)

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
Tsai1, the tie rod end (ball joint) can be purchased from autobarn, burson, supercheap as they are also the same ones used on the 93-97 galants (HJ)

I think you have misunderstood Christian, the uni joint is on the steering column - between the steering wheel and the rack. I too have a knock from this, and am interested in sourcing a replacement (less so in actually fitting it :p).

Google pic:
svc_sr_ujoint.jpg

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
The VR4 setup isn't like that, both uni joints are inside the cabin and from memory you may need to replace the whole steering column, not as difficult as if it were in the engine bay mind you.

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
The VR4 setup isn't like that, both uni joints are inside the cabin and from memory you may need to replace the whole steering column, not as difficult as if it were in the engine bay mind you.

The pic was more to explain what a uni joint was, but thanks for the clarification :)

Top Bottom