Electronic Boost Control vs ECUflash with raised boost levels

Anton_Willows

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Tony
Drive
1996 Legnum VR-4
High guys i did a fair bit of searching and couldn't find any definitive answers and only a few personal opinions of people in the group..

My question is other the variable control of boost levels via an electronically control unit are there any other pros and cons to taking this route?
I know a few of the guys have said they use the TME flash provided by Steve and also an EBC, I'm thinking about maybe doing the same as I think having the control to run around on low boost when high boost is not need would be beneficial..

Also, is the turbo system a dual port actuator type? I'm looking at HKS EVC IV Installation guides and just end up scratching my head, I think I'm over thinking the intstall waaaayyy too much! any help with this would be appreciated..

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Good Electronic Boost Controllers (EBCs) are expensive and most still use boost pressure targets where the OEM VR-4 ECU uses load targets. While the difference is not huge, it does introduce variability into whether or not you will reach certain load cells on a particular day and therefore if you get detonation etc.

External boost controllers also mean that you don't have knock based boost correction. As a result, if the ECU experiences knock, the inability to reduce boost will result in a greater knock count and lower octane level, resulting in poorer use of fuel, hurting your efficiency and quite probably make the car feel quite flat due to reduced timing advance.

On the up side, you usually get a decent boost control solenoid (BCS) with a good EBC, which will enable you to control boost better.

Personally, I would get a 3 port BCS which you can integrate into your factory harness and use factory boost control. (Best of both worlds in my opinion, which is why I went this way)
For the cost of a good new EBC, you can just about buy the BCS plus a flashing dongle and flash your ECU to your liking. If not, talk to Steve and get him to flash it for you with map switching if you want high and low boost settings. Personally I don't use high/low boost settings because if I want less boost I just use less throttle.

If you want a cheap EBC, I wouldn't bother... get a good manual boost controller instead

Obviously I prefer using the ECU, but then I have all the gear to re-flash etc as necessary.

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
so ummm, yeah... I am going to call Steve and then sit down and eat a bowl of Coco-Pops. that about sums it up hey Kenneth?

Anton_Willows

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Tony
Drive
1996 Legnum VR-4
hmmmm righto I'll just sell it and focus on the tune for now, will be good to meet other members and get more advice on the up coming QLD dyno tune day!

Top Bottom