How do you tell what electronic boost controller to go for?

chrisssss

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
krsta
Drive
99' s2 manual legnum vr4
anyone here running an apexi avcr ive been trying for ages to find the optimum setup but im still puzzled, from 2000rpm to 4500rpm i can run 1.15bar of boost but from then on i need to drop it to .90 or less but i still get boost cut im out of ideas of what to do and dont want to kill anymore petrol has anyone found the best setup ?

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
The Apexi AVC-R gets 2 thumbs up from me. Thats what im running in my car, but I wouldn't have a clue how to set it up, thats for the tuner to do. My tuner said with all his experience with boost controllers the Apexi is his pick of the bunch.

chrisssss

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
krsta
Drive
99' s2 manual legnum vr4
yeah its an awsome unit love it to bits from 2k to 4.5k i can run 1.15bar but after that i dont know what to do at all i dont want to run boost to low i have no idea what to do and i dont want to kill anymore fuel and doing over 140kms lol trying to figure out whats best lol

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
your never gonna be able to keep 1.15bar over 4.5k rpm, our turbos are not big enough, so dont bother trying :p

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
I just purchased the GFB3003 unit.....has anyone fitted this to their legnum or galant yet?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
now that the factory boost maps are known, if you only want around 15psi(maybe more, still testing), a single map (mapped boost against rpm) and i suspect (still testing) reduced boost map on knock detection, you can now do all that with a tune.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Which info do you need, addresses? PM me either way.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
I dont want to put my tuner on a plane to the goldcoast everytime I want to change my boost settings. So anyone have any thoughts on gizzmo boost controllers?

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
I dont want to put my tuner on a plane to the goldcoast everytime I want to change my boost settings. So anyone have any thoughts on gizzmo boost controllers?

I was looking at one, but was told by SKR that they were a PITA to setup.
I ended up going with E-boost street which I think does very well for the price.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Haha Chris, fair enough.... E boost street is good, E boost 2 is better and essential if you want RPM based mapping and more than 2 maps

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
The Gizzmo is the best my budget allows for, it has closed loop which should be very easy to setup. Alternatives in my budget are the HDI controllers, but just going off what info I can dig up online, the Gizzmo seems like a better option.

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
After tuning many different electronic and manual boost controllers, I binned the stock (tuned) boost control on my evo and fitted a HDi controller and gauge.
This unit is closed loop and is deffinately the easiest unit to setup.

I mean..

drive onto the M2
pop the low boost knob out
boost - adjust knob - boost - adjust knob a smidge - boost again and spot on 18psi

pop low knob back in, pop hi knob out
boost - adjust knob - boost - adjust knob a smidge - boost again and spot on 23psi

Job done.

It litterally only took three short pulls per setting to get it right.

oh, and I detest the EVC-S.
The Profec-B is ok but why bother when it can be so easy.

Top Bottom